The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
phil boyce-bottoms

Is God male?

Staff
Well, I guess I'm in for some stiff opposition. Big deal, so what?... believe me.

Theological Liberalism is a cancer that must be removed from the body. If you can't see this yourself it is because you're deceived. I think it unquestionable to ask anyone to believe you after you have made such statements. Personally, I haven't met a liberal yet that professed to be Christian that hasn't in some way talked me out of believing. Not the Scriptures, but them. I sincerely encourage you to instead of digging your heels in, that you actually listen to the opposing side and reserve your opinion until those sides are presented. The things we say should not be believed by their own merit but in accordance to the Scriptures. At the end of the day all we can ask is for you to admit, if these things align with the word of God, and still you disbelieve, that you at least find the honesty to confess that your god is not the God of Scripture. It won't be me bashing you over the head with the Bible, I realize it isn't up to me for you to believe, matter of fact not even belief itself comes from within ourselves.

I ask that members here pray for hoghead....

Heavenly Father,

We pray that hoghead recognizes the dishonor brought before You by not believing in Your word. We pray that hoghead's heart be truly receptive and obedient to Your word, causing hoghead to walk carefully in Your statutes... . And lastly, we pray that hoghead receive repentance and freedom from the deception of self and the devil. Amen

God bless,

William

• Like 1

The OT is definitely racist in that the Jews, no one else, were the chosen people.

Aside from the nonsense that Jews are a race (it's a religion), consider what the OT says:

Isaiah 56:3a, "Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, “The LORD will surely separate me from his people.”

Everybody who has faith in God is the chosen people. And, no one without faith in God is a member of the chosen people.

They felt they had the right to go into Canaan and exterminate the indigenous population and without mercy.

No, they didn't feel they had a right... God told them to, because the Canaanite population was exceeding wicked and cruel. And, God gave them life so it was his to take away, and it was an act of kindness for all the innocent on whom the Canaanites would have preyed on.

• Like 2

Prayer really isn't an appropriate response in serious theological discussion. What you should be doing is presenting a solid counterargument. When you pray, you are simply dumping on your opponent's character, rather than his or her arguments. If you want to attack liberalism, you can. However, you need to make a case. You didn't do that here. Where is your evidence that liberalism is wrong? All you presented was a lot of inflammatory rhetoric with nothing to back it.

Yes, the OT is a puff piece for Israel. It's intended to set them up as the chosen people and sanctify their right to the land. The fact that sins of Israel are talked about in no way alters this fact.

The NT does not repeat the OT. The NT marks a major break. The laws of Moses are thrown out the window. The juridical, punitive God of the OT is thrown out the window. The basic commandment is to do what is loving. In fact, there is such a major change between the OT and NT that one of the early fathers, Marcion, is said to have taken scissors and cut out the whole OT.

Nobody comes to Scripture, with a blank mind. Everyone reads Scripture through a lens. For many, this les is that provided by traditional church teachings. Many come to Scripture, with the idea firmly implanted in their minds that it is inerrant. The way Scripture says things happened is exactly the way they did. OK, for laity. But this is about the worst thing you can do in serious biblical studies. Here, you need to come to Scripture and view it through the lens provided by a healthy skepticism for traditional teachings. The inerrancy theory of Scripture is just that, a human-made, possibly fallible set of speculations as to how God and Scripture may be related. Like nay human-made theory, it needs tested out. Unfortunately, many are unwilling to do that. Maybe it is inerrant, maybe not. Let's carefully study the texts and then reach a conclusion. Now, I submit that such an objective study calls the inerrancy theory into serious doubt. For example, there are about 100 well-documented contradictions in Scripture, plus Scripture proves to be a totally inaccurate geophysical witness. In addition, Scripture never claims it is inerrant, does not state what is canon and what not, does not claim every passage is divinely inspired. Some, yes; all, no.

What's in question here really isn't whether God is right or wrong or Scripture is right or wrong; it's whether your interpretation is solid or not. I submit it isn't.

Staff
Prayer really isn't an appropriate response in serious theological discussion. What you should be doing is presenting a solid counterargument. When you pray, you are simply dumping on your opponent's character, rather than his or her arguments. If you want to attack liberalism, you can. However, you need to make a case. You didn't do that here. Where is your evidence that liberalism is wrong? All you presented was a lot of inflammatory rhetoric with nothing to back it.

Yes, the OT is a puff piece for Israel. It's intended to set them up as the chosen people and sanctify their right to the land. The fact that sins of Israel are talked about in no way alters this fact.

The NT does not repeat the OT. The NT marks a major break. The laws of Moses are thrown out the window. The juridical, punitive God of the OT is thrown out the window. The basic commandment is to do what is loving. In fact, there is such a major change between the OT and NT that one of the early fathers, Marcion, is said to have taken scissors and cut out the whole OT.

Nobody comes to Scripture, with a blank mind. Everyone reads Scripture through a lens. For many, this les is that provided by traditional church teachings. Many come to Scripture, with the idea firmly implanted in their minds that it is inerrant. The way Scripture says things happened is exactly the way they did. OK, for laity. But this is about the worst thing you can do in serious biblical studies. Here, you need to come to Scripture and view it through the lens provided by a healthy skepticism for traditional teachings. The inerrancy theory of Scripture is just that, a human-made, possibly fallible set of speculations as to how God and Scripture may be related. Like nay human-made theory, it needs tested out. Unfortunately, many are unwilling to do that. Maybe it is inerrant, maybe not. Let's carefully study the texts and then reach a conclusion. Now, I submit that such an objective study calls the inerrancy theory into serious doubt. For example, there are about 100 well-documented contradictions in Scripture, plus Scripture proves to be a totally inaccurate geophysical witness. In addition, Scripture never claims it is inerrant, does not state what is canon and what not, does not claim every passage is divinely inspired. Some, yes; all, no.

What's in question here really isn't whether God is right or wrong or Scripture is right or wrong; it's whether your interpretation is solid or not. I submit it isn't.

Prayer really isn't an appropriate response in serious theological discussion.

Lets think about that....

If you want to attack liberalism, you can. However, you need to make a case. You didn't do that here. Where is your evidence that liberalism is wrong?

Unbelief.

I suggested belief does not come from within ourselves. John 10:26 - "but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep."

I prayed Ezekiel 36:25-27 because belief does not originate from within ourselves.

I rest my case,

William

Staff
one of the early fathers, Marcion, is said to have taken scissors and cut out the whole OT.
I have heard all I need to hear. Marcion was not an early father but was rejected for false teaching by every church father. Marcion also took scissors to the N.T. He rejected all the gospels except Luke. He accepted only 10 letters of Paul and rejected the rest of the N.T. But it did not end there. Those texts that were accepted by him were done so only after his pruning and editorial adjustments. He removed anything that did not agree with his understanding. I can see why you picked him as an example. It is so much easier to reject something you do not like or understand rather than deal with the text. Edited by Origen
  • Like 1

This whole thing sounds to me, "Hey guys! I am a liberal. I don't believe in scriptures. But I think scriptures tell us God is female."

• Like 2

Prayer really isn't an appropriate response in serious theological discussion. What you should be doing is presenting a solid counterargument.

Solid counterarguments have been presented and you have rejected them. Nothing we say can convince you of the truth. Your only hope is for God to open yours eyes so you can see the truth.

• Like 1

How can GOD be male when all life starts as female?

In every time he is mentioned, God is referred to as he, his, etc. I would say it is safe to assume he is a male figure, although not necessarily male sex, being a holy being. Also, where did you get that all life starts as female? Man was created first, and woman created from him. Yes, technically humans begin as females while in the womb, but that is irrelevant to a figure who was never born, and was just always there.

• Like 1

There's very little we know of the spirit world. All I know is a spirit when it materializes can appear either as male or female. God is a SPIRIT. HE is neither male nor female. He just IS. Anyway since Jesus is God, and when He was on earth He was a Man and referred to God as His Father, we can make the assumption that God is Male. In case, does it even matter?

• Like 1

That is kind of a tough one, because Jesus was supposedly created in God's image, however, I have read books that have not been disproven where God was a woman. It is possible that God could take any form that he wants to take. However, I think his form is human in some respect. I think as the above poster has written, he just is.

Interesting debate for sure. I do not think that a higher being can be accused with any gender definition.

In my opinion if we start discussing God's looks, gender or any kind of specific thing about him, we just forget the meaning behind him and the teaching is the Bible.

Possibilities are open, but pointless.

Surely God is beyond human gender and brought forth all things so must be an omnipresent being comprised of all things. Having said that depending on your view of biblical scripture, there are times when God is presented as having very human limitations.

Genesis 3:9 8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, “Where are you?”

10 So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.”

11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”

Therefore he could be a man after all...

I am not qualified to answer questions as I'm new to the faith but I believe that God is a spirit, we only refer to him with masculine terms because Adam is the first human being and God said we create man in our image and likeness, and because Jesus the son of God is a man/male... It's not a power struggle but Jesus is the head of man and man is the head of the woman so, I think these are the reasons we refer to God in masculine terms, plus of course the many verses in the bible.

• Like 1

It's a pretty good question and I've never considered it from the perspective of all life starting off as female. I don't know if that is absolutely true or not but I do know that all humans, before they develop, start off as being of female gender then either remain female or go on to develop male attributes. However, I do not see God as an anthropomorphic being that has gender and that makes decisions. I see it (not him or her) as a higher power, perhaps one giant ball of consciousness, of which we are all a part divided in order to experience separation.

John 24: "God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."

God is Spirit, so He is neither male nor female. He does not possess human limitations or restrictions. However, all throughout the Scripture, God is assigned human characteristics so we can understand Him. This is a means for a spiritual being to communicate with us, mortals. This makes us able to understand things better, since we are limited in our capacity to understand anything beyond the physical world.

There were lots of times in the Scripture where God was referred to as the "Father." However, we have to keep in mind that this is the chosen image of God. It doesn't necessarily mean that He is a male or a female, it just means that this is His chosen form for us to be able to grasp who He is.

Matthew 23:37: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!"

In this verse, Jesus used this passage and referred to God as a hen. We can see that God is a sensitive Being, just like women. And with this, I think we can say that he understands all our needs and feelings, whether we're men or women.

I think what is important is for us not to force God into the limitations of the physical world. He is a Spirit and he cannot be wholly understood because we are only mortals. We can only trust in Him and His plans for us.

I believe that God is male because He calls himself as a father of all creations. He is also referred to as a male since he is the creator. I don't know why He never reveals to us about the difference since He says that men and women are all equal. Why didn't He make himself to be a woman? I wonder. Can we assume that He is both male and female?

GOD (Let Us) is in the likeness of Male & Female living souls since he called us BOTH Adam. The Father, in the image, give birth to his SPOKEN WORD as does a female to the life of mankind. He brought forth his word with lots of pain....because he waited until the darkness was on the SURFACE of the DEEP before his Spirit moved him into action and to speak. God is all we are!!!!!

Staff
God is all we are!!!!!

Please elaborate. Do you believe in some kind of collective consciousness? What do you mean by "God is all we are"?

OMG WHAT? He created Adam in his image

****** and it is likely that when Adam was created he was both male and female.******* Ge 1:27 So God created male and female created he them . And God blessed them. It is more than likely when the MALE ADAM was created MANY MALES were created....that a more holier thought!!!

******The creation of Eve could very well have been the separation of the female part of him into a separate person.*****Ge 2:20 And Adam found NO help meet for himself. But the Male Adam was not alone, because the Father WAS with him.Joh 16:32

One more thing 5:2 Male and female created he them; blessed them, and called THIER NAME ADAM, in the day when they were created. PLUS The first man is of the earth, earthy: 1Co 15:47 BUT the Female was taken out of the MALE and yet it is through the female that both males & females comes.....interesting

Staff
OMG WHAT?

What does OMG stand for?

What do you mean by "God is all we are"? Well maybe I should ask you is this a Holy Bible God board? But to answer your question.....what ever is in heaven is also on the earth. So God's gets anger...so do we.....God does his own will....so do we....God can cause murder or kill (Moses & the golden calf, David taking census) or cause life to end.....so can we. He's jealous we are jealous...He makes judgments....we decide on what to do...................GET my meaning to GOD IS ALLTHAT WE ARE but we are NOT ALL that God is..

To your first question...........it's cute.....Do you believe in some kind of collective consciousness? FAITH is a kind of collective consciousness......:>) so yes, I believe in that king. Collective Consciousness could a Collective Trend.........All Lives Matter can be seen as a Collective Consciousness....voting is another Collective Conscious act as for examples.

I really could believe that God is not a man, how come he's a man if he's the one who apparently created men and women as a reflection of himself, it really is a difficult thing to find out, it's right, the bible talks about him as if talking about a male, but, is there any proof of it? because it seems to be really confusing, and by the way, if he is a spirit, then how come he has a voice, how come spirits can talk, I am really confused right now, sorry.