Jump to content

The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

The pope as "his holiness"

Recommended Posts

 Don't you think it is blasphemous for anyone to be addressed as "his holiness" or "your holiness" since God alone is intrinsically holy (1 Samuel 2:2; Revelation 15:4) and that it is His name (Psalm 111:9; Luke 1:49)?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
21 minutes ago, Faber said:

 Don't you think it is blasphemous for anyone to be addressed as "his holiness" or "your holiness" since God alone is intrinsically holy (1 Samuel 2:2; Revelation 15:4) and that it is His name (Psalm 111:9; Luke 1:49)?

What do we do with other verses such as 1 Corinthians 7:14 and those which address Israel as a Holy Peoples etc?

 

I think it's the reverence for the Pope that can be sinful. Even the name Father etc held to such reverence is sinful. I don't know any that hold to the doctrine of Total Depravity that don't cringe at the notion of being called Holy or even a saint. In a Reformed church call the congregation saints and you'll see them squirming in their place lol.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think angels, people and things can be holy because God has declared them to be so, but to refer to someone as "holy" as a title is another matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
10 minutes ago, Faber said:

 I think angels, people and things can be holy because God has declared them to be so, but to refer to someone as "holy" as a title is another matter.

Vicar of Christ.

 

I think that is even worse than Holy.

 

An earthly representation of Jesus Christ. How does that not violate Exodus 20:4?

 

"The Pope is the sign of the oneness and the unity of the universal Church. The visible head representing Jesus to all believers. He is among the greatest legacies given by Jesus to all Christians united to the Church."

 

CATHOLIC-RESPONSE.BLOGSPOT.COM

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think it's horrifying - the claim and the fact that so many people believe it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Faber said:

 I think it's horrifying - the claim and the fact that so many people believe it.


It is astounding. You can't help but wonder (throw in calling priests Father) how a clear and simple command of the Lord Jesus to not even call each other Father or Rabbi, to make anybody a Master, other than God, and how there's only Holy God of the Bible, Holy Jesus, of the Bible, that, what, there's some man, born in sin, at that, doing a double whammy, calling himself both Holy and Father? They can't seem to avoid disobeying a simple commandment to not title fellow men as such? To me, it's really dumb, simple, blatant disobedience that puts the screws to Catholic credibility, period. I've always found this inexplicable, such fundamental disobedience of God. I mean, good grief, only God is Holy Father in John 17:11! It is calling some man God, on a very real theological level of title only God holds, in scripture. 

 

Yes, I've never seen how anybody, who has read some very simple scripture, can buy a lot of things Roman Catholicism sells. Never ceases to astound how they get by with such cons, at least in any times since Bibles, in native tongues, became available to all. Actually, there are chunks of the Catechism that can make one's jaw drop and go, "Say what?! Now, hold on a minute, there!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, William said:

What do we do with other verses such as 1 Corinthians 7:14 and those which address Israel as a Holy Peoples etc?

 

I think it's the reverence for the Pope that can be sinful. Even the name Father etc held to such reverence is sinful. I don't know any that hold to the doctrine of Total Depravity that don't cringe at the notion of being called Holy or even a saint. In a Reformed church call the congregation saints and you'll see them squirming in their place lol.

 

 

The Bible refers to believers as saints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...