SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
William

Should Christians Boycott Starbucks?

William
Staff

Russell D. Moore

A respected pro-family organization announced this week a boycott of Starbucks coffee. The group, which supports legal protection for traditional marriage, launched the "Dump Starbucks" campaign after a national board meeting in which the Seattle-based coffee company mentioned support for same-sex marriage as a core value of the company. Some Christians are wondering whether we ought to join in the boycott. I say no.

It's not that I'm saying a boycott in and of itself is always evil or wrong. It's just that, in this case (and in many like it) a boycott exposes us to all of our worst tendencies. Christians are tempted, again and again, to fight like the devil to please the Lord.

A boycott is a display of power, particularly of economic power. The boycott shows a corporation (or government or service provider) that the aggrieved party can hurt the company, by depriving it of revenue. The boycott, if it's successful, eventually causes the powers-that-be to yield, conceding that they need the money of the boycott participants more than they need whatever cause they were supporting. It is a contest of who has more buying power, and thus is of more value to the company.

We lose that argument. The argument behind a boycott assumes that the "rightness" of a marriage definition is constituted by a majority with power. Isn't that precisely what we're arguing against? Our beliefs about marriage aren't the way they are because we are in a majority. As a matter of fact, we must concede that we are in a tiny minority in contemporary American society, if we define marriage the way the Bible does, as a sexually-exclusive, permanent one-flesh union.

Moreover, is this kind of economic power context really how we're going to engage our neighbors with a discussion about the meaning and mystery of marriage? Do such measures actually persuade at the level such decisions are actually made: the moral imagination? I doubt it.

I'm all for protecting marriage in law and in culture, and I'm for that partly because I believe it is necessary for human flourishing for all people, believers and non-believers alike. But there's a way to do so that recognizes the resilience of marriage as a creation institution and that rests in the sovereignty of God over his universe.

Those who are scared of losing something are those who seem frantic or shrill or outraged. Those who are fearful resort to Gentile tactics of lording over others with political majorities or economic power. The winners, on the other hand, are able to take a longer view. We're able to grieve when our neighbors seek to copy marriage without the most basic thing that makes marriage work: the mystery of male and female as one-flesh.

But we don't persuade our neighbors by mimicking their angry power-protests. We persuade them by holding fast to the gospel, by explaining our increasingly odd view of marriage, and by serving the world and our neighbors around us, as our Lord does, with a towel and a foot-bucket.

We won't win this argument by bringing corporations to the ground in surrender. We'll engage this argument, first of all, by prompting our friends and neighbors to wonder why we don't divorce each other, and why we don't split up when a spouse loses his job or loses her health. We'll engage this argument when we have a more exalted, and more mysterious, view of sexuality than those who see human persons as animals or machines. And, most of all, we'll engage this argument when we proclaim the meaning behind marriage: the covenant union of Christ and his church.

Fear can lead us to cower and to hide a view of marriage that seems archaic and antiquated. That's why so many evangelical Christians have already surrendered, in their own lives, on such questions as round-the-clock daycare or a therapeutic view of divorce. But fear can also lead us to a kind of enraged impotence, where our boycotts and campaigns are really just one more way of saying, "I'm important; listen to me." Marriage is too important for that.

A Roman governor thought Jesus was weak when he refused to use imperial means of resistance. But Jesus' refusal to fight meant just the opposite of what Pilate assumed. "If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting," Jesus said (Jn. 18:36).

Let others fight Mammon with Mammon. Let's struggle against principalities and powers with the One thing they fear: a word of faithful witness that doesn't blink before power, but doesn't seek to imitate it either.

With the confidence of those who have been vindicated by the resurrection of Christ, we don't need to be vindicated by the culture. That ought to free us to speak openly about what we believe, but with the gentleness of those who have nothing to prove. Let's not boycott our neighbors. Let's not picket or scream or bellow. Let's offer a cup of cold water, or maybe even a grande skinny vanilla latte, in Jesus' name.

• Like 1

martinearletara

Personally, I would avoid them at all costs and promote the local coffee houses around my own area. But it seems that there is a greater gay population out West than people really realize. Because if they weren't such a majority, they would never get as much support. Just imagine if they were like than 1% of the total US population. There would be absolutely no support for them and their cause.

William
Staff
Personally, I would avoid them at all costs and promote the local coffee houses around my own area. But it seems that there is a greater gay population out West than people really realize. Because if they weren't such a majority, they would never get as much support. Just imagine if they were like than 1% of the total US population. There would be absolutely no support for them and their cause.

The population of people that identify as homosexual is less than 4%, up from 1%. I believe the reason why the number appears larger is because homosexuality is the poster child for liberal sexual immorality, which many more can identify with.

• Like 1

Corzhens

Pardon me if this comment is offending. But I believe that same sex marriage is the work of the devil. It is very clearly stated in the Bible the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and the main reason why those 2 cities were destroyed - due to homosexuality. And same sex marriage is obviously condonation of homosexuality since man to man and woman to woman is homosexuality. Sometimes I think we are entering a new era because of the prevalence of homosexuals. They are almost everywhere, on television in entertainment, in fashion, and some of them are using their popularity to promote their homosexuality. Worse, the people do not contradict. When Manny Pacquaio commented recently that same sex marrriage is worse then animals, he was rebuked by the so called LGBT - lesbian, gay, whatever. Where is the world going to?

• Like 2

OursIsTheFury

I wouldn't mind, they have ridiculously expensive coffee anyway. I'm pretty sure they are just doing this for good press and all that. I highly doubt 100% of people working at Starbucks agree with what the company does.

AGustOfWind

Of course we shouldn't! Starbucks is a perfectly legitimate business! (They make absolutely amazing coffee, might I add.)

This "organization" is obviously boycotting to be a special snowflake.

theophilus
Where is the world going to?

We seem to be getting close to the time when the Antichrist will rule and demand that people worship him.

Corzhens

We seem to be getting close to the time when the Antichrist will rule and demand that people worship him.

I don't want to say this but it seems to me that ISIS is the AntiChrist that everyone was talking about since I was a girl. Isn't it a wonder how ISIS could establish a territory in the Middle East? How did they capture a part of Iraq and Syria? They also have territories in Liby and other parts of Africa. There is also a connection in Asia. And if ISIS would rule the world, all infidels shall be beheaded, that means all those non-believers of their ideology will have to die and that includes the Muslims as well. And since ISIS is standing on the strength of jihad or religious war that allows them to kill in defense of their religion then it is clearly an indication of AntiChrist.

theophilus
I don't want to say this but it seems to me that ISIS is the AntiChrist that everyone was talking about since I was a girl.

This is very close to what I believe. I believe Islam was established by Satan as the vehicle for bringing the Antichrist into the world. I have explained the reasons I believe this here:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/the-sons-of-abraham-2/

tris93

If not boycotting them, but I would recommend going to somewhere else if there's a possibility.

I know how these big stores can really kill small coffee shops, where you could also help your local businesses. I think that the real evil thing about starbucks is the while franchise -stuff. They are everywhere and do not let small businesses having income.

• Like 1

Finding-Faith

I was never a fan of them to begin with, never having liked their coffee or their prices. Now I dislike them moreso because of their outright beliefs (if you look at who they're owned by then you might understand why the company has those beliefs). It's a franchise that has its own liberal agenda and that's never a good thing.

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?"

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,"

Those verses sound to me as if God doesn't want us walking amongst sinners, so why shouldn't we boycott Starbucks?

Happyflowerlady

By definition, a company cannot hold a religious belief. A person who owns a company can have religious beliefs; but not a corporation. Businesses are not supposed to discriminate between customers unless there is a valad reason to do so.

As an example, if there is a sign that says "no shirt or shoes, no service" and you walk in there barefooted, then you can expect not to be served, or to shop in that store.

This is called the right to refuse service to anyone.

It refers to specific people, and not to any group of people.

You can't say "no gays allowed" anymore than you can say "no Christians allowed". So what if Starbucks policy is okay with gay marriage ? It is just a business, and they have no right to object to what a person does in their personal life.

Are we also going to stop going to the grocery store because there are gay couples shopping there ?

I actually have a friend who was telling me that she thought she should stop shopping at Walmart because of their policy towards same-sex marriage.

Not only that; but the Bible also says that gluttony is sinful. Are we now also going to boycott our favorite buffet restaurant because there are people eating there who are eating way too much food ?

I think that it is much more important to be looking at our own lives and make sure that we are doing what we should be doing, and not worry about what some company is doing. If same-sex marriage is a legal union, then businesses have no choice but to support it.

theophilus
It is just a business, and they have no right to object to what a person does in their personal life.

But customers have a right to stop shopping there if they don't agree with its policies.

If same-sex marriage is a legal union, then businesses have no choice but to support it.

Businesses can't refuse to serve people who are in a same sex marriage but they aren't required to support the practice.

William
Staff

But customers have a right to stop shopping there if they don't agree with its policies.

Businesses can't refuse to serve people who are in a same sex marriage but they aren't required to support the practice.

As a matter of interpretation of the word "person" in the Fourteenth Amendment, U.S. courts have extended certain constitutional protections to corporations. Some opponents of corporate personhood seek to amend the U.S. Constitution to limit these rights to those provided by state law and state constitutions.

States such as Mississippi do protect corporations (persons) to withhold services based on religious objections.

S.T.Ranger
It's not that I'm saying a boycott in and of itself is always evil or wrong. It's just that, in this case (and in many like it) a boycott exposes us to all of our worst tendencies. Christians are tempted, again and again, to fight like the devil to please the Lord.

A boycott is a display of power, particularly of economic power. The boycott shows a corporation (or government or service provider) that the aggrieved party can hurt the company, by depriving it of revenue. The boycott, if it's successful, eventually causes the powers-that-be to yield, conceding that they need the money of the boycott participants more than they need whatever cause they were supporting. It is a contest of who has more buying power, and thus is of more value to the company.

We lose that argument. The argument behind a boycott assumes that the "rightness" of a marriage definition is constituted by a majority with power. Isn't that precisely what we're arguing against? Our beliefs about marriage aren't the way they are because we are in a majority. As a matter of fact, we must concede that we are in a tiny minority in contemporary American society, if we define marriage the way the Bible does, as a sexually-exclusive, permanent one-flesh union.

INteresting perspective, though I can't say I agree with it altogether. I don't see a boycott as fighting mammon with mammon, but a matter of informing those who actively promote unbiblical principles and agendas that this is enough for Christians to separate themselves from them, and that is what we should be doing...separating ourselves from the world. We don't say "We are going to go buy X brand of coffee now because of your position," simply, "Okay, you want to promote gay marriage...we want nothing to do with you." And that is an important statement for at least two reasons: it shows that Christians are paying attention, and it shows that Christians are not advocates by default. The result of inaction is "Hey, we don't have a problem with that."

I agree with a previous poster and think anyone who is spending that kind of money for a single cup of coffee is failing in regards to stewardship. I can make 100 cups of coffee for the price of one of theirs, lol. But coffee has become a big deal for people. How about we boycott all coffee houses for selling addictive substances...

;)

When Proctor and Gamble began supporting the homosexual agenda, we did stop buying their products, and they recanted. I think that is a positive message for the world to see, so think the boycott is a good idea, though I think being a little more sensible as to how much we are willing to pay for a cup of coffee is common sense.

God bless.

S.T.Ranger

As a business owner I can tell you that I have had gay customers and have never discriminated against them any more than I would a customer that was an adulterer/ess or engaged in some other form of fornication, but, the fact is that their lifestyles were never an issue. When someone comes into a bakery and demands a cake be made and it violates the principles of that owner...they have the right to refuse, and the government doesn't really have the power to refuse that owner their rights. If a gay customer of mine was blatant and their lifestyle created an issue of conflict for my faith, I would refuse, and be glad to be taken to court over the issue.

You imply that I, or other business owners do not have the right to refuse service, which is simply a tradition in this country founded on the freedoms we enjoy. Remember the signs that used to say "No Shoes/Shirt no service?" How often do you see those anymore?

The people out there looking to promote their lifestyles and using their "rights" as a billy club have gotten out of hand. Anything we can do to stem the ever increasingly powerful homosexual agenda is not in our best interests, but in the best interests of our country.

God bless.

Happyflowerlady

I think that there is a difference between "not being a part of the world" and thinking that we have to be the Christian Policemen of the world. The way I look at it, the Bible tells me what things I need to do in MY life to be right with God, and what is expected of me.

Telling someone that they are going to go to hell for their behavior is usually NOT going to give them a burning desire to know more about Christianity and give their hearts to God.

Stopping their behavior that we believe is wrong, is not going to change anyone, or even save them if we could/did stop the behavior.

Being saved is a lot more than that, and it means asking God to accept you as part of His family and then loving Him and trusting your life to God. Then, you will follow what he is asking you to do with your life.

If you do not have THAT conviction in your life, then it really does not make much difference whether you are living a sinful lifestyle or not. Salvation has to come first, lifestyle changes come after that.

So, while it is important for us to keep ourslves separate From the world, we do that while living IN the world, and not just by boycotting businesses or ranting at people that they are lving a sinful life.

This , of course, is only my little opinion.........

S.T.Ranger
I think that there is a difference between "not being a part of the world" and thinking that we have to be the Christian Policemen of the world.

The issue has nothing to do with being the policemen of the world, lol, it's simply a statement that we are not going to support in any way those seeking to advance ungodly principles.

But, I will say that we have a commandment to be light in this world, and we will not do that sitting back while the world goes to Hell in a handbasket. I have heard it said that the purest form of hatred is...apathy. If we are okay with people dying without Christ...there's a problem.

The way I look at it, the Bible tells me what things I need to do in MY life to be right with God, and what is expected of me.

Sorry, but the Bible doesn't advocate seclusion from the world. It is true our lives need to be right with God first, but, it doesn't stop there.

Telling someone that they are going to go to hell for their behavior is usually NOT going to give them a burning desire to know more about Christianity and give their hearts to God.

It doesn't? Someone should have told the Apostles that, because they were a bit outspoken about people who live ungodly...going to Hell.

Christ spoke more about Hell and why people will go there than He did Heaven.

That doesn't mean we have to be offensive, but the fact is that any time anyone tells something they are doing, or thinking, is wrong...they are going to reject it usually.

Not warning people would be tantamount to a doctor failing to tell someone they had cancer. As far as boycotting, it is a statement of non-support, rather than a direct threat of Hell.

And it's effective, at least...it used to be. But we see more and more liberal mentality among Christians these days. The homosexual agenda has been very effective, and perhaps has infiltrated the Body of Christ, or at least the professing Church, a little more than we might like to admit.

Stopping their behavior that we believe is wrong, is not going to change anyone, or even save them if we could/did stop the behavior.

I think there would many homosexuals who have repented and been saved who would disagree with you. For example, some could tell us that they need not fear contracting a fatal disease.

The opposite is condoning sin, a practice which will not only never help people, but ensure that some will neglect to turn to Christ.

Being saved is a lot more than that,

Agreed. It also involves us becoming available to the Lord to be used in Kingdom efforts. It means being ready to give an answer to any man, or woman, who asks the reason of the hope within us.

It is a myth that all Christians do is rant and rave against homosexuals, condemn, and otherwise run them off. The only time I have ever had disagreement in this discussion is with certain Christians. All conversations I have had with homosexuals has always been sincere and have never had any hostility associated with it. There is at least one person here that I know for a fact deals with this issue often, or at least used to.

and it means asking God to accept you as part of His family and then loving Him and trusting your life to God.

I don't know where you get your information, but that is not derived from Scripture.

God is Sovereign, and only He provides the understanding of sin in our lives, whereby we can...

...repent.

Your statement implies we ask God to accept us, when the fact is God demands that we come into obedience to His will. I think you mean well in your statement, but, salvation is never divorced from repentance on the part of the sinner, and you cannot impose repentance into the heart of someone who thinks God must accept them as they are. While God does not demand complete perfection for one to be saved, He does demand we acknowledge our sin, that it is wrong, and that we are separated from Him...headed for Hell.

Then, you will follow what he is asking you to do with your life.

You must cede to His will to be saved. Doesn't mean you stop sinning, but it means acknowledgement that you/we are sinners.

Following is the decision that is made when we are saved.

If you do not have THAT conviction in your life, then it really does not make much difference whether you are living a sinful lifestyle or not.

What conviction? That you ask God to accept you, you decide to love Him, then...you will follow what He is asking?

It all begins with the Lord enlightening us to our condition, which brings the repentance which is from God.

Salvation has to come first, lifestyle changes come after that.

I agree for the most part, but, how this is presented neglects Scripture's focus on repentance.

And just to swing it back to topic, it's just my opinion that those who stand up to Starbucks and say we will not support your position evidence what I view to be a willingness to be a voice in the world.

It is not homosexuals so much in view in the boycott, but the company supporting them, and not only that, but doing so in the media. That is a pro-active position and giving them money is actually supporting the homosexual agenda. This has nothing to do with homosexuals as individuals, and there is no-one shouting "You are going to Hell Starbucks!"

So, while it is important for us to keep ourslves separate From the world, we do that while living IN the world,

Two different "worlds" in view, this earth, and the system, which we are to be separated from. Just because I am in this world does not mean that at any time do I have to support those things which go against the Faith.

and not just by boycotting businesses or ranting at people that they are lving a sinful life.

Who is ranting? Is it not you...against Christians?

Think about that.

This , of course, is only my little opinion.........

Duly noted.

God bless.

Edited by S.T.Ranger

Ava

Personally I don't like Starbucks because of their policies and their espresso is dreadful. I recall in a town it was the only place and I refused to go, because of my own principles and that fact I would not enjoy the coffee. As for them supporting same sex marriage, it's more than likely it was a PR ploy to encourage people to frequent the establishment more often. Maybe they wanted to look politically correct due to the recent cases where gay couples have been discriminated against? It's a business, and the company can make a public stance, but it doesn't mean all of the employees agree with it. I imagine many don't agree with many policies, but it's a choice of having a job or starving and being on welfare.

Some people just want to boycott places, and others are more tolerant because if Starbucks was the only place open for food in town, what would you do? Starve on principle? As for me, I always carry emergency food with me in case of such an event.

Origen
Personally I don't like Starbucks because of their policies and their espresso is dreadful.
YES! At last the voice of reason.

William
Staff
YES! At last the voice of reason.

LOL, Genesis 3:6. Ava, could of said, seeing the coffee was good for drink, and Starbuck's policies was to be desired making one wise.....

So much for the voice of reason!

God bless

William

Origen

LOL, Genesis 3:6. Ava, could of said, seeing the coffee was good for drink, and Starbuck's policies was to be desired making one wise.....

So much for the voice of reason!

God bless

William

lol

Deka

I would rather have my Barako Coffee, thank you very much. Let's first talk about their incredibly expensive coffee and lattes and all those shenanigans. They're full of calories and sugar and they make you gain so much weight anyway. Then, right here their wifi is slow as well which is pretty useless since I buy from them to use their internet all day. Haha. But anyway, on to the more important issue.

With regards to their principal on same-sex marriage... This is where everything goes wrong. For me, I don't judge gays or bisexuals as long as they are moral and follow the laws of the bible. Sadly, this doesn't always happen as with the case of same-sex marriage. They can call it whatever they want, but they shouldn't really call it "marriage." Marriage is a holy term and should be within the laws of God. And that includes two people of different genders marrying each other. Once they use this term, they disregard the teachings of our bible.

And since Starbucks approves of this, I think it might be time to completely let go of it. Luckily, I only go there if I have nothing else to do and have to kill time. I'd just find other restaurants or coffee shops.

• Like 1

tony

For the fact that the company is in support of gay I will advocate for a total boycott. We Christians should be wise not to put our money into companies or businesses that support acts that are clearly contrary to the words of God. For supporting gay let the company suffer frustration.

William
Staff
For the fact that the company is in support of gay I will advocate for a total boycott. We Christians should be wise not to put our money into companies or businesses that support acts that are clearly contrary to the words of God. For supporting gay let the company suffer frustration.

At least from Starbuck's CEO, we won't be missed: If you support traditional marriage over gay marriage, Starbucks doesn’t want your business.”

Source: http://www.allenbwest.com/erichall/should-christians-dump-their-starbucks-shares

God bless,

William