The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
northwye

First Peter 2:4-10 On the Transition of the Old Covenant To the New Covenant

First Peter 2: 4-10 On the Transition of the Old Covenant To the New Covenant

First Peter 2:4-10 shows that Jesus Christ is the living stone who is the cornerstone, the foundation of the spiritual house made up of those who are united to Christ. through their relationship with him., Believers identify with Christ, and so they too are living stones.

This text reveals Peter’s way of interpreting the Old Testament, and the way God remade Israel as he promised to do in Jeremiah 18: 1-6 - "And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. 5. Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel." God made Israel again as another vessel. He remade Israel.

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6. And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel." Exodus 19: 5-6

And look at I Peter 2: 9-10: "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10. Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."

Just as God said that Old Covenant Israel was to be a peculiar treasure to him, and a kingdom of priests and a holy people and so the Lord through Peter said that believing Gentiles were also to be a peculiar people, a royal priesthood, and a holy nation or people. Yet the protestants and reformed American Christians in the Great Awakening Revivals of the 18th century, before the Revolutionary War, developed the idea from I Peter 2: 4-10 that believers are their own priests.

In remaking Old Covenant Israel by the remnant of Old Covenant Israel seen in Romans 11: 1 to 5, God incorporated into the identity of his people of the New Covenant many of the same traits he gave to Old Covenant Israel, but these traits were renewed by the Spirit though Jesus Christ.

Also the people of God in the New Covenant were to fulfill Old Testament prophecy on the inclusion of Gentiles. "25 And I will sow her to me on the earth; and will love her that was not loved, and will say to that which was not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art the Lord my God." Hosea 2: 25, Septuagint.

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.: Isaiah 43: 19

See: http://equip.sbts.edu/…/jou…/sbjt-213-fall-2017/church-renew

"The Lord does not have two peculiar peoples, two holy nations, two royal priesthoods, two chosen races—he has only one, the church of Jesus Christ. While there is ontologically one people of God throughout history, the question though is whether the nature and structure of the people of God has forever changed due to the coming of Christ and his work on the cross in fulfilling the OT promises and ratifying the new covenant. On the other hand, for dispensationalists, the church is not presented as a “new Israel” that replaces or fulfills OT Israel in 1 Peter 2:4-10." This is a quote from Brent E. Parker from the link given above.

"The reasons for affirming that Peter’s readers are mainly Gentiles are quite persuasive. First, the letter appears to be a circular letter as it was sent to Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia (1 Pet 1:1) regions where Jews lived, but also where there would have been large Gentile populations who would have heard the gospel as Paul’s letter to the Galatian churches and his ministry in Asia (see Colossians and Philemon) indicate. Secondly and more importantly, the internal evidence within the letter shows that a significant readership of 1 Peter was from a pagan or Gentile background as evidenced by 1 Peter 1:14, 1:18, 2:25; 3:6; and 4:3-4.7."

"The Israel and exodus typology is also evident from Isaiah 43:20-21 (cf. Isa 43:16-19) as God’s chosen race is depicted coming out of the Babylonian exile with overtones of new creation. Regardless of ethnic background, the church is now the true race, the antitypical descendants of Abraham, who God redeems through the lamb of the greater exodus (see 1 Pet 1:19; cf. Isa 53:7; note 1 Pet 1:2 with Exod 24:6-8). Lastly, Peter’s use of Hosea 2:23 (cf. Hos 1:9-11) in 1 Peter 2:9-10 indicates that God’s mercy on the church fulfills Hosea’s restoration prophecy."

"Dispensationalism fails to account for the typological fulfillments presented in this passage. Peter identifies the church as the restored and renewed Israel through Christ. The church is now God’s people (2:10) because of their faith union with the eschatological cornerstone that has been laid in Zion (2:6)."

The Body of Christ (I Corinthians 12: 12, Colossians 1: 18) can be seen to be the remade Israel of Jeremiah 18: 1-6.

The Body of Christ in the New Covenant is the result of the  Ministration of the Spirit working in those who have Faith. "Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8. How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?" II Corinthians 3: 6-8

"That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." Galatians 3: 14

Edited by northwye

57 minutes ago, northwye said:

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6. And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel." Exodus 19: 5-6

And look at I Peter 2: 9-10: "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10. Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."

Thanks for pointing the above out.

10 hours ago, northwye said:

In remaking Old Covenant Israel by the remnant of Old Covenant Israel seen in Romans 11: 1 to 5, God incorporated into the identity of his people of the New Covenant many of the same traits he gave to Old Covenant Israel, but these traits were renewed by the Spirit though Jesus Christ.

Speaking of Romans 11 it seems from the text that Paul is distinguishing two groups (Gentile believers and Jewish unbelievers) with no indication that the Jewish unbelievers are replaced but that they as a (remnant according to election of grace  Rom 11:5 ) group will one future day be grafted back in upon repentance...                                                                                                                                             For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.   (Rom 11:25-29)                                                     The word 'until' signifies a future event (the fullness of the Gentiles come in).                                                            

• Like 1

It looks like part of the link within my opening post was left out.  I can't find the exact article by Brent E.  Parker on I Peter 2: 4-10 which I quoted from.  But here is an article by him which makes many of the same points:  http://equip.sbts.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SBJT-21.3-Church-as-the-Renewed-Israel-Parker-Revised.pdf

When parts of a link are left out in the posting there are dots where the link is shortened.  On the link above there are no dots within the link showing such omissions.

On the comment above on Romans 11: 1-5,  I have seen those first five verses of Romans 11 as saying that the first Christian believers in Christ and in his Gospel were all out of Old Covenant Israel - and were of the Bloodline - and in Romans 11: 17-24 Paul is writing about Gentiles and Jews, where some Gentiles are grafted in and some Jews are also grafted in to the Good Olive Tree.  You have to be careful about what that Good Olive Tree is in Romans 11: 24 - because its not Old Covenant Israel, but is something new and of the New Covenant.  The Jews who are the first believers in Christ were changed by the Spirit.  Paul in II Corinthians 3: 8 writs that the New Covenant, which he there calls the ministration  of the Spirit is glorious.

3 hours ago, northwye said:

It looks like part of the link within my opening post was left out.  I can't find the exact article by Brent E.  Parker on I Peter 2: 4-10 which I quoted from.  But here is an article by him which makes many of the same points:  http://equip.sbts.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SBJT-21.3-Church-as-the-Renewed-Israel-Parker-Revised.pdf

When parts of a link are left out in the posting there are dots where the link is shortened.  On the link above there are no dots within the link showing such omissions.

On the comment above on Romans 11: 1-5,  I have seen those first five verses of Romans 11 as saying that the first Christian believers in Christ and in his Gospel were all out of Old Covenant Israel - and were of the Bloodline - and in Romans 11: 17-24 Paul is writing about Gentiles and Jews, where some Gentiles are grafted in and some Jews are also grafted in to the Good Olive Tree.  You have to be careful about what that Good Olive Tree is in Romans 11: 24 - because its not Old Covenant Israel, but is something new and of the New Covenant.  The Jews who are the first believers in Christ were changed by the Spirit.  Paul in II Corinthians 3: 8 writs that the New Covenant, which he there calls the ministration  of the Spirit is glorious.

I have a slightly different bend on this view point.  But for it to be relevant requires some deep and continuous Bible Study:

As I have written, often, on quite a few forums since '95, I hold neither of the major positions, do, please take note of the next word, complete justice to Yashuah ha'Mashiah nor the Gospel of the Scriptures.  However, they both, for this Layman Teacher, like my belief, fall within the pale of orthodoxy and cause no major concern about Salvation.

I am a Biblicist and Biblicists believe there is Free Will as well as Predestination.  The Bible teaches both as fact and YHWH does not mislead His Children.  The issue is the lack of seeking answers from Yashuah and His Father, YHWH through Ruah, the Holy Spirit.

I feel the first fact that needs grasping is there is a division in time between the recording the Jewish Bible, now, incorrectly, known as the Old Testament and the Final Renewing of the covenant between YHWH and Mankind, misnamed as The New Testament.

The Abrahamic Covenant was not dismissed when YHWH renewed, expanded, if you will, but rather it was Renewed and in doing so YHWH expanded, in a specific manor, the requirements through the 613 directions on living a Holy Life before YHWH.

Likewise, many Heretical False Teachers instruct that this "New Covenant" superseded the old one, never even understanding YHWH had a Covenant between Adam and Himself that was renewed with Abraham and later, renewed/expanded with Noah.

If you have issue with seeing this renewing of the Single Covenant between YHWH and man, established and governed by YHWH, please, try not to attempt dragging me into a vain debate without you going to a Bible Source and purchasing the version of your choice with an excellent Chain Reference.  I prefer the Thompson Chain Reference but there are other good works to study with.

Using the good chain reference trace any New Testament Verse Reference and after tracing a few of them to their origin a body learns that without the Bible Yashuah taught Christianity from this Renewed (New) Covenant (Testament) has no legs for foundation to stand on.  The Holy Ẅörd of our Elohim is of a single major context folding many Life Lessons (Minor Contexts) within itself.

Now, about the major distraction within the Body of Yashuah.  Both major positions are taught... which is dominant?  Both are taught and stand hand in hand, side by side, each aiding the other.

The Time/Space Continuum we live within was created by YHWH through Yashuah. (Please read through the Bible, all of it, paying particular attention to Genesis, chapter, 1 & 2 and John 1:1-5)

Our Elohim, from outside our Time/Space Continuum created said continuum for us to exist and and serve Him within.  In 2Pet 3:8 and other addresses in Scripture we learn Time is meaningless and form the past 29 years of study I have been taught by Ruah that Our Elohim is without limit or confinement.  This has led me to understand that YHWH, our Elohim, was and is in the Past, the Present and the Future before He created anything of or for us.

I.e. Before I walked, heart broken by YHWH, off the stage, to go serve Him, somewhere around six thousand years ago, He knew I would exercise my free will and would choose to leave the Popular Life and choose Him to serve over all the fine tasting drinks, beautiful women and all of the benefits, highs and adornments that go with being worshiped and adored.  He knew and recorded my name in the Book of Life before I was born or even considered the pleasure available with and from 18 year old ladies just learning the wicked ways of living in and through the houses of Satan.

YHWH has two wills described in the Holy Scriptures. The first is YHWH’s Perfect Will and the second is the most visible in this world, His Permissive Will. Because YHWH is not bound to the Present but moves freely outside of and within the constraints of any understood and not understandable contiuum within and without this Space/Time Continuum we exist within at this time.

There is nothing our created minds know or do not know that limit our Elohim.

This  truth I received opens a perspective and further reveals the only Awesme Elohim this Universe has or will ever know.

"I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.   (Rom 11:25-29)                                                     The word 'until' signifies a future event (the fullness of the Gentiles come in)."

What is your interpretation of who is Israel in Romans 11: 26?     If Israel is taken to mean
all Israel of the Bloodline then how does this Israel agree or disagree with Romans 9: 6-8 and I Corinthians 10: 18?  And if it is  is all Israel of the Bloodline how does this interpretation of who Israel is who are all saved agree or disagree with Romans 11: 17-24?    And how does this all Israel of the Bloodline agree or disagree with Paul's message in Galatians 3 on faith now being what determines who belongs to Christ?                                              

1 hour ago, northwye said:

. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

I think it is clear from the above-quoted verse that Israel here cannot refer to the Church (to so some called new Israel) because those spoken of here are enemies of the Gospel something no Christian can claim to be, and they are the beloved for the fathers (Abraham, Issac, and Jacob) sake. The covenant and the promises given to Abraham, Issac, and Jacob existed some 400 to 300 years before the giving of the Law/Torah. So, the covenant or system Paul refers to here is not the one he refers to in 1 Corinthians. As for the other passages of, course for some Jews have abandoned Judaism, become atheist, and so on.  However, I believe Paul point is that this does not negate the Promises give to Abraham.

• Like 1

The New Testament never says there is a separation between those of the physical Bloodline who are saved and those Gentiles who are saved.  It says just the opposite, that saved Gentiles and saved Jews are in unity.

"Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;"  Ephesians 2: 11-15

"17. And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18. Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19. Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

20. Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21. For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

23. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

24. For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?"  Romans  11:  17-24

In Ephesians 2: 11-15 and in Romans 11: 17-24 there is no separation between saved Jews and saved Gentiles. 

John 10: 16, Romans 12: 4-5 and Ephesians 4: 4 deal with the doctrine that God has one group of his elect, not two groups.   Romans 10: 12 and Galatians 3: 28, as well as Ephesians 2: 11-15  focus on the doctrine that there is a unity of all who are in faith, regardless of their genetics.

6 hours ago, northwye said:

"I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.   (Rom 11:25-29)                                                     The word 'until' signifies a future event (the fullness of the Gentiles come in)."

What is your interpretation of who is Israel in Romans 11: 26?     If Israel is taken to mean
all Israel of the Bloodline then how does this Israel agree or disagree with Romans 9: 6-8 and I Corinthians 10: 18?  And if it is  is all Israel of the Bloodline how does this interpretation of who Israel is who are all saved agree or disagree with Romans 11: 17-24?    And how does this all Israel of the Bloodline agree or disagree with Paul's message in Galatians 3 on faith now being what determines who belongs to Christ?                                              

I believe 'all Israel' is referring to what Paul was speaking of in Rom 11:1-5..the natural bloodline of  believing Jews, the remnant according to the election of grace. This is not referring to the believing Gentiles, nor unbelieving Jews, although both believing Jew and Gentile make up the Church the Body of Christ. (Eph 2:15)

Edited by Solas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, northwye said:

The New Testament never says there is a separation between those of the physical Bloodline who are saved and those Gentiles who are saved. 

I am not sure if you are replying to me, but actually I never said anything whatsoever about bloodlines nor for that matter about Gentiles.

My point was simple about the Mystery that Paul

wrote about. Paul apparently believed that God would still keep his promises to the patriarchs and so do I. 

Now take this for example:

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus”(kjv Galatians 3:28) 

In the above list Paul mention Jews and Greek along with Male and Female stating that they are all one in Jesus Christ they are all saved the same way. A part from salvation issues there are distinctions between Male and Female. Males can not give birth nor in general can they express milk from their nipples. Public places and private Churches still may have separate restrooms for Males and Females. Now, just as Males and Females are one in Christ but continue to be in someways distinct so are Jews and Greeks still in some ways distinct even though they are saved the same way in Christ and are part of the same kingdom of God.

Citizens of Japan who are Christians are united and equal in Christ with Citizens of The USA who are Christians and with Citizens of China who are Christians. Yet, clearly all will not hold the same passport and may or may not share the same language/culture or heritages. One can of course like I live in Japan or be marriage to a national ( I am) of another country/culture/or ethnicity. But clearly some distinctions  of identity will still be present. 

Edited by Ben Asher
  • Like 1