The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Bowman

Is Satan bound today?

Is Satan bound today?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is Satan bound today?

20 minutes ago, Origen said:

Fact: I cited two other advance Greek grammar which do not support your claim.

Fact: I cited six scholarly lexicon which do not support your claim.

Fact: You have cite no Greek grammars to support your claim.

Fact: All the scholarly evidence cited does not support your Interpretation.

😂  It is easy when you ignores all the evidence against you as you have.

All grammars and lexicons agree with my position.

Wallace, your very own example, is in complete agreement with my position.

Furthermore, there are legions of other passages that proclaim the same...but, you don't want to look at those...:)

Staff
2 hours ago, Bowman said:

The only thing 'misleading' was your assertion that Wallace declares 1 Peter 5.8 to refer to 'The Devil', of which, he clearly does not.

Oh my!!!  He says "there is only one devil."  He says it is monadic which means "ONE."

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

I explained why.  Either you did not read it or you are able to comprehend the point.

Names and titles are ALWAYS capitalized.

Staff
5 hours ago, Bowman said:

All grammars and lexicons agree with my position.

If you continue to be dishonest, you will be banned.

Just now, Origen said:

If you continue to be dishonest, you will be banned.

Please don't resort to threats...

Staff
9 hours ago, Bowman said:

Please don't resort to threats...

I don't.  I take action.  Your comments are dishonest.  Moreover you cited no grammar or lexicon to support your claim.  The reason is clear.  There are none.  If dishonesty and zero evidence is what you call exegesis, then I thank God I know nothing about it.

Satan is not bound but he is limited. Job is a good example how God limits Satan. Satan still seeks those he may destroy. For the Christian Satan can do only what God allows. Satan can not possess a Christian, but he can oppress, whereas a unbeliever Satan can possess.such a person. Oppression can be a serious trial in a Christians life.

• Like 1

Staff
On 5/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, Bowman said:

Names and titles are ALWAYS capitalized.

Again, I explained the why to you and even provided examples and scholarly lexicons.  Either you did not read it or you are unable to comprehend the point.

Staff
On 5/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, Bowman said:

The only thing 'misleading' was your assertion that Wallace declares 1 Peter 5.8 to refer to 'The Devil', of which, he clearly does not.

Ah, you left out Wallace's quote where he states: "Yet there is only one devil" (p. 249).  Very dishonest of you not to supply the quote proving your claim wrong.

Also you did not (or should I say cannot) address the word "monadic, meaning "ONE."

Let me lay out the logic for you since it difficult for you to follow.

Wallace says that διάβολος is monadic.

The word "monadic" means "one."

Since the word διάβολος is monadic, that means there is only one διάβολος.

• Best Answer 1
  • Toast 1

Staff
5 hours ago, Bowman said:

Say hello to all the purple unicorns and elves in fantasyland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Staff
On 5/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, Bowman said:

Sure...

We shall see.

Luke 22

John 13

(1) Both Luke 22:3 and the John 13:27 reference the same person Judas.

(2) The text does not claim Judas was possessed.  Satan was the impetus but Judas is the who one acts.

Job

The text of Job NEVER uses the language of possession in regard to Job or the satan.

etc, etc...

There are no etc., etc.

• Like 1

Staff
On 5/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, Bowman said:

For, brothers, you became imitators of the assemblies of God being in Judea in Christ Jesus, because you also suffered these things by your own fellow countrymen, as they did also by the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, also having driven us out, and not pleasing God, and being contrary to all men, hindering us from speaking to the nations in order that they be saved, to the filling up of their sins always. But the wrath to the end is come on them. But, brothers, we being taken away from you for an hour's time, in presence, not in heart, we were much more eager with much desire to see your face. Because of this, we desired to come to you, truly I, Paul, both once and twice; but Satan hindered us.  (1 Thes 2.14 – 18)

As we can see by adding context, this ‘hindering’ is applied to what the Jews (plural) did in obstructing the spread of the Gospel.

Obviously, since Satan cannot possess more than one person at a time, then this can only apply to the work of his demons, and not himself, as he is bound during this time.

This text says nothing about Satan possessing anyone.  You have forces that idea upon the text.  Paul makes it clear Satan is the one doing the hindering.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, Bowman said:

Both 'power' and 'wisdom' are anarthrous in this passage...and do NOT pertain to Jesus...rather each pertains to the Holy Spirit which indwells in Jesus.

TDNT: In 1 C. 1:24 Christ is called the power of God in the absolute. In His power, which overcomes all the might of darkness and death, He is the power of God. As such He is the theme and content of the Christian kerygma (2:304, dunamia, Grundmann).  

So much confusion on this thread when our Lord Jesus made it so simple. Satan is not bound yet today, even though Christ defeated him on His cross.

1. Just prior to our Lord Jesus being delivered up to be crucified, He said this...

John 12:31-32
31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
KJV

How did He mean the devil would be "cast out"?

2. Then later in The Gospel of John 14, we are told this by our Lord Jesus...

John 14:30
30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me.
KJV

3. Our Lord Jesus didn't show Satan being bound at His crucifixion. He showed that the devil would be cast out, and "cometh". But where would he be cast out, and cometh??

Our Lord Jesus showed us in the Revelation 12:7-9 Scripture. It is specific there that there would be no more place found for Satan in Heaven after that war with Archangel Michael. That Rev.12:7 forward Scripture includes timing markers for the end of this world, so we know it is not a previously fulfilled prophecy. Satan is coming to OUR world, our dimension, here on earth. The next chapter, Revelation 13:11 forward, is about what he will do on earth when he gets here. It parallels the one Jesus warned of in Matthew 24:23-26, and that Paul warned of in 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8. This is all very plain in Scripture, there's no need to be a rocket scientist to understand it.

Staff
7 minutes ago, davy said:

John 12:31-32
31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
KJV

Let's just ignore the pesky word "now".