SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Bowman

Is Satan bound today?

Is Satan bound today?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is Satan bound today?

Bowman

Starting a poll on why, or why not, people view Satan as being bound today...

My view is that scripture clearly mandates that Satan is presently bound.  In fact, Satan was bound at The Cross.

• Like 1

deade

He's a pretty active fella if he is bound. He runs the world system any way he likes. Jesus even acknowledged that. Or at least He did not deny it see (Matt. 4:8, 9). I know Amillennialism says he is bound but I don't believe it.

in-deep-thought-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7a508a1012f2792e6117a0f5325b21b.gif

• Like 2

Faber

Perhaps he is like a dog on a leash. 

Bowman
19 hours ago, deade said:

He's a pretty active fella if he is bound. He runs the world system any way he likes. Jesus even acknowledged that. Or at least He did not deny it see (Matt. 4:8, 9). I know Amillennialism says he is bound but I don't believe it.

in-deep-thought-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7a508a1012f2792e6117a0f5325b21b.gif

Mat 4 is pre-Cross scripture.

Satan was bound at The Cross...

• Like 1

Faber

Hello Bowman and welcome to ChristForums.

Can you please explain what you mean by bound?

Thanks

Faber

Bowman
22 minutes ago, Faber said:

Hello Bowman and welcome to ChristForums.

Can you please explain what you mean by bound?

Thanks

Faber

Sure thing...

Jesus rendered The Devil entirely idle ‘katargēsē’ (completed action) at His death upon The Cross. Heb 2.14

Faber

Thanks.

Do you believe though that although he is bound that he is bound within certain parameters in that he can still hinder the believer (1 Thessalonians 2:18) as he relentlessly schemes against the people of God (2 Corinthians 2:11; Ephesians 6:11) in order to devour them (1 Peter 5:8)?

William
Staff
3 hours ago, Faber said:

Thanks.

Do you believe though that although he is bound that he is bound within certain parameters in that he can still hinder the believer (1 Thessalonians 2:18) as he relentlessly schemes against the people of God (2 Corinthians 2:11; Ephesians 6:11) in order to devour them (1 Peter 5:8)?

Right, I think we need to define what bound means according to Scripture. For example, the human will is bound to ones nature but that doesn't mean that we are not volitional creatures, able to move around, make decisions etc.

I think a lot of people suggest that Satan needs to be rendered totally incapacitated towards all men in order to be bound.

• Like 2

GaoLu
Posted (edited)

If he is bound, he is very badly bound. He is clearly in roaring-lion mode.

Edited by GaoLu
  • Like 1

William
Staff
19 minutes ago, GaoLu said:

If attacked by an actual roaring Lion what will be the outcome if you simply "resist" it?

If you say you'll be devoured, is that what occurs to God's Elect who are in submission to Him and resist the Devil?

Like a strong man bound in his own house can Satan prevent God's monergistic work of salvation? That is, can Satan prevent Jesus from robbing his house and removing goods [the Elect]?

I think a lot of people pass off the devil's doctrine [which they propagate] and man's sinful nature as a direct intervention and work of Satan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CDF47

I think he is bound in the sense of the gospel being spread to the four corners of the Earth.  

Faber
9 hours ago, William said:

I think a lot of people suggest that Satan needs to be rendered totally incapacitated towards all men in order to be bound.

Good point. I think he is bound in some aspects, but bound can not refer to him being totally incapacitated. Revelation 20:2 teaches that he is still yet to be bound. 

• Like 1

Bowman
15 hours ago, Faber said:

Thanks.

Good question and scriptural response.

Let's review each one...

Adding context…

For, brothers, you became imitators of the assemblies of God being in Judea in Christ Jesus, because you also suffered these things by your own fellow countrymen, as they did also by the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, also having driven us out, and not pleasing God, and being contrary to all men, hindering us from speaking to the nations in order that they be saved, to the filling up of their sins always. But the wrath to the end is come on them. But, brothers, we being taken away from you for an hour's time, in presence, not in heart, we were much more eager with much desire to see your face. Because of this, we desired to come to you, truly I, Paul, both once and twice; but Satan hindered us.  (1 Thes 2.14 – 18)

As we can see by adding context, this ‘hindering’ is applied to what the Jews (plural) did in obstructing the spread of the Gospel.

Obviously, since Satan cannot possess more than one person at a time, then this can only apply to the work of his demons, and not himself, as he is bound during this time.

Bowman

Thanks.

Next passage...

Eph 6.11 - 17

Put on all the armor of God, for you to be able to stand against the deceit of the Devil, because fighting against flesh and blood is not to us, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this, The Darkness, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly realms.  Because of this, take up all of the armor of God that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having worked out all things, to stand. Then stand firm, "having girded your loins about with Truth" and having put "on the breastplate of Righteousness," Isa. 11:5; 59:17  and having shod the feet with the preparation of the "gospel of peace." Isa. 52:7  Above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the darts of the evil one being kindled. 

Context seals the deal.

The reader is informed that a spiritual battle is going on….NOT between us and The Devil (because he is presently bound), but against the deceit (plural ‘methodeia’) of The Devil. 

The text actually mentions an epithet for Satan, himself (The Darkness), and then lists-out the ‘powers’ of Satan that our battle is against – again, absolutely NO mention of it being with Satan, himself!

If this battle was against Satan, himself, then the text would have plainly said so, on a singular basis.  Instead, the plural deceit is listed out in plural fashion demonstrating the demonic forces which are roaming free.

This passage ends with the way it started – reiterating that we are NOT in battle with Satan, himself, but the darts (plural ‘belē’), demons, that he is launching at us.

Thanks.

Next...

νηψατε γρηγορησατε ο αντιδικος υμων διαβολος ως λεων ωρυομενος περιπατει ζητων καταπιειν

nēpsate grēgorēsate ho antidikos hymōn diabolos hōs leōn ōryomenos peripatei zētōn tina katapiein

Be sober-minded, watch, the adversary devil of you walks about in the same manner as a roaring lion seeking whom to devour;

This passage does not refer to ‘The Devil’ himself, for several reasons:

·         ‘Diabolos’ is anarthrous (i.e. it lacks a preceding Greek definite article).  Thus, rather than referring to ‘The Devil’ it refers to ‘A devil’, a demon – of which, the NT often refers to demons as devils.

·         ‘Ho antidikos’ (the adversary) is used in only one other NT passage, Mat 5.25, and is in the context of being thrown into prison.

·         The key word ‘hōs’ literally means ‘in the same manner as’, and is used to describe demons in Revelation, ‘in the same manner as’ a lion (Rev 9.8).

·         This passage does not pertain to 'The Devil"....but 'A devil'...i.e. a demon...

deade
14 minutes ago, Bowman said:

This passage does not refer to ‘The Devil’ himself, for several reasons:

·         ‘Diabolos’ is anarthrous (i.e. it lacks a preceding Greek definite article).  Thus, rather than referring to ‘The Devil’ it refers to ‘A devil’, a demon – of which, the NT often refers to demons as devils.

It does not matter if it's the devil or his demons, for he still runs the world system. He does it by steering man through thought processes. God is letting evil play itself out in His universe. If He does not intervene, evil will have killed all life on earth (see Matt.24:22).

• Like 1

Bowman

Thanks.

Next...

But to whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For also if I have forgiven anything, of whom I have forgiven it, it is for you, in Christ's person, so that we should not be overreached by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his thoughts.  (2 Cor 2.10 – 11)

Here, we are told, once again, that Satan is not able to make it in person, and only has 'power' in the thought process - most likely via the demons who are still roaming free today.

Interestingly, 2 Cor 4.4 also uses the same Greek term, and applies to Jesus (The God of This world).

Bowman
12 hours ago, William said:

Right, I think we need to define what bound means according to Scripture. For example, the human will is bound to ones nature but that doesn't mean that we are not volitional creatures, able to move around, make decisions etc.

Yes...

Many terms for 'bound' are used in scripture.

The term used in Heb 2.14, is as thus...

καταργηση = ‘katargēsē’

‘katargēsē’ definition: 

Strong’s #G2673.  Aorist tense verb, 3rd person singular.  The Devil is to be reduced to inactivity through the death of Christ (Heb 2.14).  The Epistle to the Hebrews fills out this declaration by stating that through the death of Christ even the one who has power over death, the devil, is condemned to inactivity or ineffectiveness in relation to the Christian (Heb 2.14). To cause something to come to an end or no longer in existence, abolish, wipe out, set aside.  To render idle, unemployed, inactivate, inoperative. To cause a person or thing to have no further efficiency. To deprive of force, influence, power. To cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish. To cease, to pass away, be done away. To be severed from, separated from, discharged from, loosed from any one.  To terminate all intercourse with one.  to be (render) entirely idle (useless), literally or figuratively: - abolish, cease, cumber, deliver, destroy, do away, become (make) of no (none, without) effect, fail, loose, bring (come) to nought, put away (down), vanish away, make void. To cause something to be unproductive, use up, exhaust, waste.  To cause something to lose its power or effectiveness, invalidate, make powerless.  From #G2596 & #G691.

Strong’s #G2596.    Down from.   

Strong’s #G691.    To be idle.   

References:

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT), Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, & Geoffrey W. Bromiley, volume one, pp. 452 - 454

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian Literature, 3rd edition (BDAG), Frederick William Danker, pp. 525 - 526

Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Joseph H. Thayer, p. 336

The Complete Wordstudy Dictionary of the New Testament, Warren Baker, Warren Baker, based on the lexicons of Edward Robinson & John Parkhurst, pp. 841 - 842

The New Strong’s expanded exhaustive concordance of the Bible (red-letter edition), James Strong, LL.D., S.T.D., p. 133

12 hours ago, GaoLu said:

Actually, the only 'power' that Satan has today is his demons, which are still free-ranging planet earth...

Bowman
8 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I think he is bound in the sense of the gospel being spread to the four corners of the Earth.  

Good point, and yes, the fact that Satan is bound allows for the Gospel to be spread across the planet.

The period of time that we are in now is The First Resurrection...The earthly reign of Christ....the 1K years...

2 hours ago, Faber said:

Good point. I think he is bound in some aspects, but bound can not refer to him being totally incapacitated. Revelation 20:2 teaches that he is still yet to be bound. 

Rev 20 is past tense.

Many people use Rev 20 as the premise of their eschatology and force everything they read to meet a false premise...

• Like 1

CDF47
2 minutes ago, Bowman said:

Good point, and yes, the fact that Satan is bound allows for the Gospel to be spread across the planet.

The period of time that we are in now is The First Resurrection...The earthly reign of Christ....the 1K years...

Agreed.  Can you explain how this is the First Resurrection though?  I am interested in that.  

• Like 1

Bowman
19 minutes ago, deade said:

It does not matter if it's the devil or his demons, for he still runs the world system. He does it by steering man through thought processes. God is letting evil play itself out in His universe. If He does not intervene, evil will have killed all life on earth (see Matt.24:22).

Mat 24 applies to when Satan is released from being bound...

3 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Agreed.  Can you explain how this is the First Resurrection though?  I am interested in that.  

Sure...

Rev 20.4 - 6

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them. And judgment was given to them, and the souls of the ones having been beheaded because of the witness of Jesus, and because of the Word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast nor its image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand. And they lived again and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were ended. This is the First Resurrection.  Blessed and holy is the one having part in the First Resurrection. The Second Death has no authority over these, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him a thousand years.

First Resurrection:

·         Satan is first bound (Rev 20.1 – 3). (i.e. by Jesus’ death upon the Cross).

·         The Righteous are Resurrected during the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ (Rev 20.4).

·         The Righteous are also Resurrected at the end of the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ (Rev 20.5).

·         The First Resurrection encompasses The Righteous being resurrected all through the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ.

·         The Righteous are not Judged, rather, authority to Judge is given to them because they partake in the First Resurrection (Rev 20.4).

• Like 1

CDF47
21 minutes ago, Bowman said:

Mat 24 applies to when Satan is released from being bound...

Sure...

Rev 20.4 - 6

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them. And judgment was given to them, and the souls of the ones having been beheaded because of the witness of Jesus, and because of the Word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast nor its image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand. And they lived again and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were ended. This is the First Resurrection.  Blessed and holy is the one having part in the First Resurrection. The Second Death has no authority over these, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him a thousand years.

First Resurrection:

·         Satan is first bound (Rev 20.1 – 3). (i.e. by Jesus’ death upon the Cross).

·         The Righteous are Resurrected during the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ (Rev 20.4).

·         The Righteous are also Resurrected at the end of the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ (Rev 20.5).

·         The First Resurrection encompasses The Righteous being resurrected all through the ‘thousand year reign’ of Christ.

·         The Righteous are not Judged, rather, authority to Judge is given to them because they partake in the First Resurrection (Rev 20.4).

Thanks for the interpretation.  I have heard other interpretations of the First Resurrection but yours is really good.

• Like 1

Faber
39 minutes ago, Bowman said:

Interestingly, 2 Cor 4.4 also uses the same Greek term, and applies to Jesus (The God of This world).

I think this is the first time that I have read that theos refers to Christ in this passage.

• Like 1

atpollard
Posted (edited)

I chose "don't know", which is not accurate, because I do not believe it to be a question with a "yes" or "no" answer (and "none of the above" was not a choice).

I see no evidence to suggest, and a great deal of evidence to contradict, that "the accuser" is currently inactive in the world.  That the "Father of Lies" no longer whispers lies into ears.  So "NO" Satan is not bound with respect to the fallen world in which we dwell.

I see every evidence to suggest that "The Accuser" and the "Father of Lies" has no more freedom to act against the Children of God, than he did to act against Job.  So "YES" Satan is bound with respect to the Body of Christ.

Edited by atpollard

CDF47
16 minutes ago, atpollard said:

I chose "don't know", which is not accurate, because I do not believe it to be a question with a "yes" or "no" answer (and "none of the above" was not a choice).

I see no evidence to suggest, and a great deal of evidence to contradict, that "the accuser" is currently inactive in the world.  That the "Father of Lies" no longer whispers lies into ears.  So "NO" Satan is not bound with respect to the fallen world in which we dwell.

I see every evidence to suggest that "The Accuser" and the "Father of Lies" has no more freedom to act against the Children of God, than he did to act against Job.  So "YES" Satan is bound with respect to the Body of Christ.

I have difficulty with this as well.  I agree that he is bound with respect to the Body of Christ.  That may be the intention of the Scripture.  

William
Staff
46 minutes ago, atpollard said:

See, you've redefined "bound" to inactive in the world. Then you go further to suggest that Satan when bound will no longer be able to whisper lies into anyone's ears. Is this how Scripture defines Satan's binding?

• Like 3