The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Hudnall41900

Really in need for advice

I’ve go to a baptist church but recently have been starting to go to a Methodist Church and I feel a pull to just start going to the Methodist Church I’ve prayed and prayed and I feel like that’s where I need to be even though the pastor is going to retire at the Methodist Church next month. I don’t know if I should make the move because my grandpa goes to the baptist church and I’ve made great friends there but they cancel service a lot at the baptist, they don’t have Sunday evening services, Wednesday service only last with singing about 30 minutes, and Sunday morning the pastor only preaches about 20 minutes. Where the Methodist Church has Sunday evening services and the pastor preaches for a whole hours on Wednesday’s and I feel like I get more out of him but he is retiring. If someone could give me advice I’d really appreciate it.

• Praying 1

Staff

I wouldn't recommend a denomination [Methodist] which rejects Sola Scriptura. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theophilus said:

Why don't you continue to go to the Baptist church Sunday morning and go to the Methodist church in the evening?  

I just don’t feel like I get anything out of morning service especially because the pastor only preaches for 15 minutes if that most of the time where every time I go to the Methodist church I feel like I learn a lot.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, William said:

I wouldn't recommend a denomination [Methodist] which rejects Sola Scriptura. 

Sometimes such a denomination can have individual congregations that follow the Bible.  

On 5/10/2019 at 5:54 AM, Hudnall41900 said:

I’ve go to a baptist church but recently have been starting to go to a Methodist Church and I feel a pull to just start going to the Methodist Church I’ve prayed and prayed and I feel like that’s where I need to be even though the pastor is going to retire at the Methodist Church next month. I don’t know if I should make the move because my grandpa goes to the baptist church and I’ve made great friends there but they cancel service a lot at the baptist, they don’t have Sunday evening services, Wednesday service only last with singing about 30 minutes, and Sunday morning the pastor only preaches about 20 minutes. Where the Methodist Church has Sunday evening services and the pastor preaches for a whole hours on Wednesday’s and I feel like I get more out of him but he is retiring. If someone could give me advice I’d really appreciate it.

I advise to follow that pull. It is the holy spirit telling you you've arrived where the spirit wants you to gain nourishment in the word. 

Blessings. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:54 AM, Hudnall41900 said:

The way you tell the credibility of a church is by their Doctrinal Statement of Faith. I see by your introduction that you have a genuine interest in church attendance and fellowship with other believers . Your confusion can be limited and satisfied if you sought the assistance of other members of your church. I don't mean the Baptist because from what I am gathering of what you're saying about that church is that they do not have a genuine interest in serving their members. I am not familiar with the entire belief system of the Methodist Church ,so in that respect I can offer little help. I attend a Presbyterian church America because that is where the Lord led me many years ago . I'll keep you in my prayers .