The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Solas

Papacy-Seat of antichrist

Do the Reform today still hold that the Papacy is the seat of the antichrist?

Posted (edited)

Looking at other posts on this site I found this...

(here... https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/319-the-pope-and-the-papacy/?tab=comments#comment-353 )

Based on his study of scripture, Martin Luther finally declared, “We here are of the conviction that the papacy is the seat of the seed of the true and real antichrist. I owe the Pope no other obedience than that I owe to antichrist.” Luther said, “I am persuaded that if at this time St. Peter in person should preach all the articles of Holy Scripture and only deny the Pope’s authority, power and primacy and say that the Pope is not the head of all Christendom, they would cause him to be hanged.” Yet if Christ himself were again on earth and should preach, without all doubt the Pope would crucify him again.

and

John Calvin, 1509-1564, “Some persons think us too severe and censorious when we call the Roman Pontiff antichrist, but those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself after whom we speak and whose language we adopt. I shall briefly show that Paul’s words in 2 Thessalonians 2 are not capable to any other interpretation than that which applies them to the papacy.” They saw in the antichrist the papacy, the Pope. Why? Because they had some special insight that, in fact, the final antichrist was actually to be a Pope? No. Because the Pope personified everything that the scripture described the antichrist to be.

and

John Knox, 1505-1572, the great Scottish Presbyterian sought to counteract the tyranny which the Pope himself had for so many ages exercised over the church. He himself said the Papacy is the very antichrist, the Pope being the son of perdition of whom Paul speaks. Thomas Cranmer, one of the great martyrs in England, died in 1556, said, “Whereof it follows Rome to be the seat of antichrist and the Pope to be the very antichrist himself, I could prove the same by many scriptures.”[color=Red] The Westminster Confession was written in 1647. The Westminster Confession, the confession of the reformers says, “There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the church against Christ and all that is called God.”[/color]

MacArthur seems to tone it down a bit in his address back in 2015...

There was never such a thing as a papal coronation before the 10th century and now the world has gone berserk over this as if it was true religion. I said this a few weeks ago. I’m going through Luke. The more liturgy, the more mystery, the more ceremony, the more apostasy. The Pope is in direct violation of everything in scripture and sets himself up as the greatest person on earth.[color=Red] But then friends, it’s not a bad guess to see the final antichrist as a pope.[/color]

So I am curious (I have no dog in this fight) are the Reformed/Calvinists still holding the line that Luther, Calvin, Cranmer etc., held regarding the papacy as the seat of antichrist especially in light (better, in dark) of the Ecumenicism going on today?

Edited by Solas

Staff
29 minutes ago, Solas said:

Looking at other posts on this site I found this...

(here... https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/319-the-pope-and-the-papacy/?tab=comments#comment-353 )

and

and

MacArthur seems to tone it down a bit in his address back in 2015...

So I am curious (I have no dog in this fight) are the Reformed/Calvinists still holding the line that Luther, Calvin, Cranmer etc., held regarding the papacy as the seat of antichrist especially in light (better, in dark) of the Ecumenicism going on today?

John MacArthur isn't Reformed but he is a Calvinist.

As for Reformed I believe the Westminster Confession of Faith touches upon this subject:

CHAPTER 25

Of the Church.

I. The catholick or universal church, which is invisible, consists of the whole number of the elect that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ the head thereof; and is the spouse, the body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.a

a Eph. 1:10,22,23; Eph. 5:23,27,32; Col. 1:18.

II. The visible church, which is also catholick or universal under the gospel, (not confined to one nation, as before under the law,) consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion,b together with their children;c and is the kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ,d the house and family of God,e out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.f

b 1 Cor. 1:2; 1 Cor. 12:12,13; Ps. 2:8; Rev. 7:9; Rom. 15:9-12.
c 1 Cor. 7:14; Acts 2:39; Ezek. 16:20,21; Rom. 11:16; Gen. 3:15; Gen. 17:7.
d Matt. 13:47; Isa. 9:7.
e Eph. 2:19; Eph. 3:15.
f Acts 2:47.

III. Unto this catholick visible church Christ hath given the ministry, oracles, and ordinances of God, for the gathering and perfecting of the saints in this life, to the end of the world; and doth by his own presence and Spirit, according to his promise, make them effectual thereunto.g

g 1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11-13; Matt. 28:19,20; Isa. 59:21.

IV. This catholick church hath been sometimes more, sometimes less visible.h And particular churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and publick worship performed more or less purely in them.i

h Rom. 11:3,4; Rev. 12:6,14.
i Rev. chap. 2, 3; 1 Cor. 5:6,7.

V. The purest churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error;k and some have so degenerated, as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan.l Nevertheless, there shall be always a church on earth to worship God according to his will.m

k 1 Cor. 13:12; Rev. chap. 2, 3; Matt. 13:24-30,47.
l Rev. 18:2; Rom. 11:18-22.
m Matt. 16:18; Ps. 72:17; Ps. 102:28; Matt. 28:19,20.

VI. There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ:n nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense, be head thereof; but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God.o

n Col. 1:18; Eph. 1:22.
o Matt. 23:8-10; 2 Thess. 2:3,4,8,9; Rev. 13:6.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, William said:

I realize that, I remember at one time he was a 4pointer holding back on Particular Atonement.

20 minutes ago, William said:

VI. There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ:n nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense, be head thereof; but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God.o

I guess that is Chapter 25.6 and I am also guessing that point V (below) is holding truer today than it has in the last couple of hundred years as ecumenicism with Rome is increasing.

21 minutes ago, William said:

V. The purest churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error;k and some have so degenerated, as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan.l Nevertheless, there shall be always a church on earth to worship God according to his will.

1 hour ago, William said:

Hello William,

What are the major distinctions?

Faber

Staff
6 minutes ago, Faber said:

Hello William,

What are the major distinctions?

Faber

Calvinism is soteriology. Reformed is an umbrella term which covers not only Calvinism but Covenant theology rather than MacArthur's leaky dispensationalism. Other distinctives, Reformed are obviously Creedal, Confessional, Monergist, Calvinist, Covenant, Amillennialist, and Cessationalist.

MacArthur distances himself from dispensationalism and prefers to call himself an Originalist.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

I believe that the office of pope is the office antichrist.  I think it is the only position that meets all the criteria of antichrist.

Edited by CDF47

I see as only a matter of time that the Roman Catholic church will deny that Christ came in the flesh. It's not hard to imagine a they will affirm a Jesus who was not really crucified, making them all the more closer to thier buddy, Islam. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, Innerfire89 said:

I see as only a matter of time that the Roman Catholic church will deny that Christ came in the flesh. It's not hard to imagine a they will affirm a Jesus who was not really crucified, making them all the more closer to thier buddy, Islam. 

I wouldn't be shocked.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Solas said:

Do the Reform today still hold that the Papacy is the seat of the antichrist?

The pope may not be " the " antichrist . But one thing he certainly is and that is " an antichrist " . That 's where we stand in my church .   M

15 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

The pope may not be " the " antichrist . But one thing he certainly is and that is " an antichrist " . That 's where we stand in my church .   M

This may true as the pope fits the bill for all the descriptions in the Bible.  I think the last pope may be the antichrist and all other popes sit in the seat/office of antichrist.