The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
NetChaplain

The Carnal Christian

Upon encountering the title of this article one’s first thought might seem negative about it, but with all who become “born again” there is a period of growth that involves learning in the Word of God about the “old man,” which is the sin nature first seen in Adam and Eve, then in the entirety of their progeny—mankind (Rom 5:12-19). Upon rebirth the soul becomes “spiritually minded,” due to the imparting of the Spirit of God and the new nature (new man); and the old man continues to become more obviously identifiable so that we can continue to be taught by it—through the contrast of it with the new man!

Thus, it’s our position in Christ that will mature our walk in Christ, as the carnality will be seen to progressively decrease, as our spirituality increases, thereby maturing from a carnal Christian to a spiritual Christian (1Co 3:1); which within the last few generations requires much time due to the multitude of errant Biblical doctrines, resulting (in my opinion) from the lack of fundamental spiritual-growth-centered teachings (and just not enough Word-time reading and studying).

Thus there now coexists two natures in the soul of the believer, the old man and the new man; and through these both God’s school of godliness is taught, by which those reborn will all “be conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), and thereby “grow up into Him in all things” (Eph 4:15).

All believers will pass through the “babe-in-Christ” stage (1Co 3:1), for though Christ is in you at rebirth, He is in not yet “formed in you” (Gal 4:19), that is, “unto a perfect man” (mature-in-Christ Eph 4:13), which concerns our “walk” or lifestyle. Redemption-wise believers are complete in Christ, which the lifestyle will manifest more all the time of what we already are in Christ.

As long as we are presently earthly bound we can never be completely free of carnality, which always remains to some degree or another, due to the indwelling of the old man; but this has no effect on our fully redemptive position in Christ, only on our growth in the strength of our faith. “Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, NetChaplain said:

Upon encountering the title of this article one’s first thought might seem negative about it, but with all who become “born again” there is a period of growth that involves learning in the Word of God about the “old man,” which is the sin nature first seen in Adam and Eve, then in the entirety of their progeny—mankind (Rom 5:12-19). Upon rebirth the soul becomes “spiritually minded,” due to the imparting of the Spirit of God and the new nature (new man); and the old man continues to become more obviously identifiable so that we can continue to be taught by it—through the contrast of it with the new man!

Thus, it’s our position in Christ that will mature our walk in Christ, as the carnality will be seen to progressively decrease, as our spirituality increases, thereby maturing from a carnal Christian to a spiritual Christian (1Co 3:1); which within the last few generations requires much time due to the multitude of errant Biblical doctrines, resulting (in my opinion) from the lack of fundamental spiritual-growth-centered teachings (and just not enough Word-time reading and studying).

Thus there now coexists two natures in the soul of the believer, the old man and the new man; and through these both God’s school of godliness is taught, by which those reborn will all “be conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), and thereby “grow up into Him in all things” (Eph 4:15).

All believers will pass through the “babe-in-Christ” stage (1Co 3:1), for though Christ is in you at rebirth, He is in not yet “formed in you” (Gal 4:19), that is, “unto a perfect man” (mature-in-Christ Eph 4:13), which concerns our “walk” or lifestyle. Redemption-wise believers are complete in Christ, which the lifestyle will manifest more all the time of what we already are in Christ.

As long as we are presently earthly bound we can never be completely free of carnality, which always remains to some degree or another, due to the indwelling of the old man; but this has no effect on our fully redemptive position in Christ, only on our growth in the strength of our faith. “Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

AMEN!

3 hours ago, Mountainmanbob said:

Carry on in sin?

By no means.

Repent should have been my middle name. 

Stop your sinning or something worse may happen to you. Grace not to be taken for granted. 

M-Bob 

And so you no longer sin?  (Rom. 3)

22 hours ago, Solas said:

The usual comeback is, "Go, and sin no more". (John 8:11)

Sad, very sad retort and just reeks of the Holiness Movement out of the Heretical New Covenant and this Later Day, New Testament Only, New Testament Movements.  Should I continue being  civil or should kick the dust off and paste a label on you?  My prayers are extended to you in either case for there are none righteous, no, not one.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, th1bill said:

Sad, very sad retort and just reeks of the Holiness Movement out of the Heretical New Covenant and this Later Day, New Testament Only, New Testament Movements.  Should I continue being  civil or should kick the dust off and paste a label on you?  My prayers are extended to you in either case for there are none righteous, no, not one.

You don't need to make it personal. I said what the the usual comeback is...inferring it's not mine. So put your label maker back in it's holster. lol

Edited by Solas
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2019 at 6:38 PM, Solas said:

You don't need to make it personal. I said what the the usual comeback is...inferring it's not mine. So put your label maker back in it's holster. lol

I see you and I retired from Driving, so you can or should be able to, appreciate it when I explain that as a very young man I went nowhere without my Side Arm, was a Bleeding Heart Liberal Soldier.  But leaving the service of my Fellow Citizens initiated a change in my perspective and by the time I was forty I was often labeled an Ultra Conservative that refused to be unarmed.

The most important thing I learned was a lesson from my DI SSgt. Brown, administered behind the barracks without shirts or rank.  it goes, sometimes like; "I am responsible for every word I speak, no matter how cute I try to come off as."  Further, it is I that will be held responsible for any slip of the tongue as well as any thoughts that led to the effects that resulted.

Your Channel 19 Quip would have left the channel roaring with peals of laughter because it was intended to be aq Catty Reply that might have led to two wrinkled old farts carrying on like two five year olds that would not figure out why momma still dressed them in diapers.

I'm not up for this Kiddy Game but then, of course I'm not a goat of any breed.  I asked, kindly, for you to define and you went all Babby Kitty on me.  I'll do my best to just not read anything you have to say  from now on.  I pray YHWH molds your Spiritual Heart into a Grown-up Christian and if I can e of any help, please PM me but please remember, I am not here to address Snarky remarks nor to be led into childish contests that do nothing but to demean both parties demeanor, ruining the witness of both.

May YHWH, Yashuah ha'Mashiah and Ruah, our Most High Triune Elohim touch the hearts of both of us.

Staff

@th1bill

Bill my old buddy, i belief Solas was posting this tongue in cheek. 

On 4/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, Solas said:

The usual comeback is, "Go, and sin no more". (John 8:11)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, th1bill said:

I see you and I retired from Driving, so you can or should be able to, appreciate it when I explain that as a very young man I went nowhere without my Side Arm, was a Bleeding Heart Liberal Soldier.  But leaving the service of my Fellow Citizens initiated a change in my perspective and by the time I was forty I was often labeled an Ultra Conservative that refused to be unarmed.

The most important thing I learned was a lesson from my DI SSgt. Brown, administered behind the barracks without shirts or rank.  it goes, sometimes like; "I am responsible for every word I speak, no matter how cute I try to come off as."  Further, it is I that will be held responsible for any slip of the tongue as well as any thoughts that led to the effects that resulted.

Your Channel 19 Quip would have left the channel roaring with peals of laughter because it was intended to be aq Catty Reply that might have led to two wrinkled old farts carrying on like two five year olds that would not figure out why momma still dressed them in diapers.

I'm not up for this Kiddy Game but then, of course I'm not a goat of any breed.  I asked, kindly, for you to define and you went all Babby Kitty on me.  I'll do my best to just not read anything you have to say  from now on.  I pray YHWH molds your Spiritual Heart into a Grown-up Christian and if I can e of any help, please PM me but please remember, I am not here to address Snarky remarks nor to be led into childish contests that do nothing but to demean both parties demeanor, ruining the witness of both.

May YHWH, Yashuah ha'Mashiah and Ruah, our Most High Triune Elohim touch the hearts of both of us.

The assumptions are yours my friend. Put me on 'ignore' if you wish.

4 hours ago, Becky said:

@th1bill

Bill my old buddy, i belief Solas was posting this tongue in cheek. 

Yes, I was giving what I have heard as the usual comeback to the question, 'So you no longer sin?", They will claim, 'Jesus said, 'to go and sin no more'. ..thus expecting the questioner (and others) to live sinless lives...as if that is possible.