Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
NetChaplain

The Carnal Christian

Recommended Posts

Upon encountering the title of this article one’s first thought might seem negative about it, but with all who become “born again” there is a period of growth that involves learning in the Word of God about the “old man,” which is the sin nature first seen in Adam and Eve, then in the entirety of their progeny—mankind (Rom 5:12-19). Upon rebirth the soul becomes “spiritually minded,” due to the imparting of the Spirit of God and the new nature (new man); and the old man continues to become more obviously identifiable so that we can continue to be taught by it—through the contrast of it with the new man!

 

Thus, it’s our position in Christ that will mature our walk in Christ, as the carnality will be seen to progressively decrease, as our spirituality increases, thereby maturing from a carnal Christian to a spiritual Christian (1Co 3:1); which within the last few generations requires much time due to the multitude of errant Biblical doctrines, resulting (in my opinion) from the lack of fundamental spiritual-growth-centered teachings (and just not enough Word-time reading and studying).

 

Thus there now coexists two natures in the soul of the believer, the old man and the new man; and through these both God’s school of godliness is taught, by which those reborn will all “be conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), and thereby “grow up into Him in all things” (Eph 4:15).

 

All believers will pass through the “babe-in-Christ” stage (1Co 3:1), for though Christ is in you at rebirth, He is in not yet “formed in you” (Gal 4:19), that is, “unto a perfect man” (mature-in-Christ Eph 4:13), which concerns our “walk” or lifestyle. Redemption-wise believers are complete in Christ, which the lifestyle will manifest more all the time of what we already are in Christ.

 

As long as we are presently earthly bound we can never be completely free of carnality, which always remains to some degree or another, due to the indwelling of the old man; but this has no effect on our fully redemptive position in Christ, only on our growth in the strength of our faith. “Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, NetChaplain said:

Upon encountering the title of this article one’s first thought might seem negative about it, but with all who become “born again” there is a period of growth that involves learning in the Word of God about the “old man,” which is the sin nature first seen in Adam and Eve, then in the entirety of their progeny—mankind (Rom 5:12-19). Upon rebirth the soul becomes “spiritually minded,” due to the imparting of the Spirit of God and the new nature (new man); and the old man continues to become more obviously identifiable so that we can continue to be taught by it—through the contrast of it with the new man!

 

Thus, it’s our position in Christ that will mature our walk in Christ, as the carnality will be seen to progressively decrease, as our spirituality increases, thereby maturing from a carnal Christian to a spiritual Christian (1Co 3:1); which within the last few generations requires much time due to the multitude of errant Biblical doctrines, resulting (in my opinion) from the lack of fundamental spiritual-growth-centered teachings (and just not enough Word-time reading and studying).

 

Thus there now coexists two natures in the soul of the believer, the old man and the new man; and through these both God’s school of godliness is taught, by which those reborn will all “be conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), and thereby “grow up into Him in all things” (Eph 4:15).

 

All believers will pass through the “babe-in-Christ” stage (1Co 3:1), for though Christ is in you at rebirth, He is in not yet “formed in you” (Gal 4:19), that is, “unto a perfect man” (mature-in-Christ Eph 4:13), which concerns our “walk” or lifestyle. Redemption-wise believers are complete in Christ, which the lifestyle will manifest more all the time of what we already are in Christ.

 

As long as we are presently earthly bound we can never be completely free of carnality, which always remains to some degree or another, due to the indwelling of the old man; but this has no effect on our fully redemptive position in Christ, only on our growth in the strength of our faith. “Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

AMEN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mountainmanbob said:

Carry on in sin?

By no means.

 

Repent should have been my middle name. 

 

Stop your sinning or something worse may happen to you. Grace not to be taken for granted. 

 

M-Bob 

And so you no longer sin?  (Rom. 3)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, th1bill said:

And so you no longer sin?  (Rom. 3)

The usual comeback is, "Go, and sin no more". (John 8:11)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The human author (John) who was inspired to command us to "sin not" (1 John 2:1) would later sin (Revelation 19:10).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Solas said:

The usual comeback is, "Go, and sin no more". (John 8:11)

Sad, very sad retort and just reeks of the Holiness Movement out of the Heretical New Covenant and this Later Day, New Testament Only, New Testament Movements.  Should I continue being  civil or should kick the dust off and paste a label on you?  My prayers are extended to you in either case for there are none righteous, no, not one.

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, th1bill said:

Sad, very sad retort and just reeks of the Holiness Movement out of the Heretical New Covenant and this Later Day, New Testament Only, New Testament Movements.  Should I continue being  civil or should kick the dust off and paste a label on you?  My prayers are extended to you in either case for there are none righteous, no, not one.

You don't need to make it personal. I said what the the usual comeback is...inferring it's not mine. So put your label maker back in it's holster. lol

Edited by Solas
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 6:38 PM, Solas said:

You don't need to make it personal. I said what the the usual comeback is...inferring it's not mine. So put your label maker back in it's holster. lol

I see you and I retired from Driving, so you can or should be able to, appreciate it when I explain that as a very young man I went nowhere without my Side Arm, was a Bleeding Heart Liberal Soldier.  But leaving the service of my Fellow Citizens initiated a change in my perspective and by the time I was forty I was often labeled an Ultra Conservative that refused to be unarmed.

 

The most important thing I learned was a lesson from my DI SSgt. Brown, administered behind the barracks without shirts or rank.  it goes, sometimes like; "I am responsible for every word I speak, no matter how cute I try to come off as."  Further, it is I that will be held responsible for any slip of the tongue as well as any thoughts that led to the effects that resulted.

 

Your Channel 19 Quip would have left the channel roaring with peals of laughter because it was intended to be aq Catty Reply that might have led to two wrinkled old farts carrying on like two five year olds that would not figure out why momma still dressed them in diapers.

 

I'm not up for this Kiddy Game but then, of course I'm not a goat of any breed.  I asked, kindly, for you to define and you went all Babby Kitty on me.  I'll do my best to just not read anything you have to say  from now on.  I pray YHWH molds your Spiritual Heart into a Grown-up Christian and if I can e of any help, please PM me but please remember, I am not here to address Snarky remarks nor to be led into childish contests that do nothing but to demean both parties demeanor, ruining the witness of both.

 

May YHWH, Yashuah ha'Mashiah and Ruah, our Most High Triune Elohim touch the hearts of both of us.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

@th1bill

 

Bill my old buddy, i belief Solas was posting this tongue in cheek. 

On 4/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, Solas said:

The usual comeback is, "Go, and sin no more". (John 8:11)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, th1bill said:

I see you and I retired from Driving, so you can or should be able to, appreciate it when I explain that as a very young man I went nowhere without my Side Arm, was a Bleeding Heart Liberal Soldier.  But leaving the service of my Fellow Citizens initiated a change in my perspective and by the time I was forty I was often labeled an Ultra Conservative that refused to be unarmed.

 

The most important thing I learned was a lesson from my DI SSgt. Brown, administered behind the barracks without shirts or rank.  it goes, sometimes like; "I am responsible for every word I speak, no matter how cute I try to come off as."  Further, it is I that will be held responsible for any slip of the tongue as well as any thoughts that led to the effects that resulted.

 

Your Channel 19 Quip would have left the channel roaring with peals of laughter because it was intended to be aq Catty Reply that might have led to two wrinkled old farts carrying on like two five year olds that would not figure out why momma still dressed them in diapers.

 

I'm not up for this Kiddy Game but then, of course I'm not a goat of any breed.  I asked, kindly, for you to define and you went all Babby Kitty on me.  I'll do my best to just not read anything you have to say  from now on.  I pray YHWH molds your Spiritual Heart into a Grown-up Christian and if I can e of any help, please PM me but please remember, I am not here to address Snarky remarks nor to be led into childish contests that do nothing but to demean both parties demeanor, ruining the witness of both.

 

May YHWH, Yashuah ha'Mashiah and Ruah, our Most High Triune Elohim touch the hearts of both of us.

The assumptions are yours my friend. Put me on 'ignore' if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Becky said:

@th1bill

 

Bill my old buddy, i belief Solas was posting this tongue in cheek. 

 

Yes, I was giving what I have heard as the usual comeback to the question, 'So you no longer sin?", They will claim, 'Jesus said, 'to go and sin no more'. ..thus expecting the questioner (and others) to live sinless lives...as if that is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Solas said:

The assumptions are yours my friend. Put me on 'ignore' if you wish.

That could ave been but, completely lacking willingness to respond, afterwards, with intelligent explanation and continual intentional responses that any intelligent human can see will irritate and slowly build into a stupid exercise of "Christian Stupidity" is not needed here nor on any web site.

 

And still, he has sought to play the Bozo Channel 19 Road Runner, safe with his Click.  He/she, I know not, is, quite, possibly a nice person but he has attempted to avoid defining his remark to one not knowing and attempted to crank up an anger contest.  I know him/her not but the introduction is finalized and left, wanting.

 

I pray all have a blessed day but this introduction has the same feel as meeting someone from the Broncs in NYC.  Though I recently did, I try not to act stupid any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, th1bill said:

That could ave been but, completely lacking willingness to respond, afterwards, with intelligent explanation and continual intentional responses that any intelligent human can see will irritate and slowly build into a stupid exercise of "Christian Stupidity" is not needed here nor on any web site.

 

And still, he has sought to play the Bozo Channel 19 Road Runner, safe with his Click.  He/she, I know not, is, quite, possibly a nice person but he has attempted to avoid defining his remark to one not knowing and attempted to crank up an anger contest.  I know him/her not but the introduction is finalized and left, wanting.

 

I pray all have a blessed day but this introduction has the same feel as meeting someone from the Broncs in NYC.  Though I recently did, I try not to act stupid any more.

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm a male, grew up in the streets of East Los Angeles and really don't need your stupid talk.

So if you want to communicate like two decent individuals, fine, otherwise Adios.

  • Toast 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

@th1bill

 

We need to remember when posting all we see is print. Plane ol print. We do not see the look on ones face the gleam of the eye. The shrug of the shoulders . Nor the roll of the eyes . We do not see the smile that comes from the heart. 

 

Not every member has the time or ability to see each post as timely as we would like . There are jobs family church computer glitches . Can we try and look to see the best in one another. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, th1bill said:

That could ave been but, completely lacking willingness to respond, afterwards, with intelligent explanation and continual intentional responses that any intelligent human can see will irritate and slowly build into a stupid exercise of "Christian Stupidity" is not needed here nor on any web site.

 

And still, he has sought to play the Bozo Channel 19 Road Runner, safe with his Click.  He/she, I know not, is, quite, possibly a nice person but he has attempted to avoid defining his remark to one not knowing and attempted to crank up an anger contest.  I know him/her not but the introduction is finalized and left, wanting.

 

I pray all have a blessed day but this introduction has the same feel as meeting someone from the Broncs in NYC.  Though I recently did, I try not to act stupid any more.

Somehow we got off on the wrong track bro (ironically in the thread called The Carnal Christian). I'm willing to start over if whether or not you are willing.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Solas said:

Somehow we got off on the wrong track bro (ironically in the thread called The Carnal Christian). I'm willing to start over if whether or not you are willing.

I did not ever intend to close that path, you misread my comment.  I learned some time back that being a Childish Christian was to block growth in the direction I seek and therefore, never becoming a Mature Leader in the World Wide Christian Church.

 

I was a teacher of the Scriptures from early '92 through mid-'05 in the Organized Southern Baptist of Texas.  When I grew weak enough that my guitars and Lap Top could no longer be useful to me in class and service, I gave all five of my instruments, ummm, make thar six instruments to other, less fortunate, Christian Churches, Christian Music Directors and the Texas Penal System for the Inmates to use in Worship.

 

Should you weep until your ey7es are red and your nose floods every rag and tissue?  No!  You said you are a retired driver and I expect all Drivers to be grown in the ways of life and death and I've worked with Drivers that did not return from Combat and not nearly as hard sand cold hearted on the exterior as I was before I ever took the Class A Test.

 

I will be completely honest, if I ask a question that is obviously not meant to awaken citizen listeners and other Sleepy Drivers and I'm hit with nonsense stock, clownish, and uninformative answers, I no longer need go over and listen for drivers in need of help.  The Internet is not a good place for Old REACT Operators but it is just as effective when not wanting to exchange nonsense.

 

I pray I have not offended you.  I could not give a fli less what Man Made Division of the Human Race you prefer to claim for yourself, you, I and every red, yellow, brown, black, flesh colored and spotted Human Being on this planet are born of stock from Adam and Eve.  More closely than that by about twenty centuries, we, every single one of us are are the children of Noah and his wife through his sons and their wives.

 

I fed you a lot useful/useless information here and trusting you are filled with Ruah, the Holy Spirit, I'll see you in Heaven, if not sooner... as our LORD chooses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, NetChaplain said:

Upon encountering the title of this article one’s first thought might seem negative about it, but with all who become “born again” there is a period of growth that involves learning in the Word of God about the “old man,” which is the sin nature first seen in Adam and Eve, then in the entirety of their progeny—mankind (Rom 5:12-19). Upon rebirth the soul becomes “spiritually minded,” due to the imparting of the Spirit of God and the new nature (new man); and the old man continues to become more obviously identifiable so that we can continue to be taught by it—through the contrast of it with the new man!

 

Thus, it’s our position in Christ that will mature our walk in Christ, as the carnality will be seen to progressively decrease, as our spirituality increases, thereby maturing from a carnal Christian to a spiritual Christian (1Co 3:1); which within the last few generations requires much time due to the multitude of errant Biblical doctrines, resulting (in my opinion) from the lack of fundamental spiritual-growth-centered teachings (and just not enough Word-time reading and studying).

 

Thus there now coexists two natures in the soul of the believer, the old man and the new man; and through these both God’s school of godliness is taught, by which those reborn will all “be conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), and thereby “grow up into Him in all things” (Eph 4:15).

 

All believers will pass through the “babe-in-Christ” stage (1Co 3:1), for though Christ is in you at rebirth, He is in not yet “formed in you” (Gal 4:19), that is, “unto a perfect man” (mature-in-Christ Eph 4:13), which concerns our “walk” or lifestyle. Redemption-wise believers are complete in Christ, which the lifestyle will manifest more all the time of what we already are in Christ.

 

As long as we are presently earthly bound we can never be completely free of carnality, which always remains to some degree or another, due to the indwelling of the old man; but this has no effect on our fully redemptive position in Christ, only on our growth in the strength of our faith. “Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

 Good post NetChaplain.    M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, NetChaplain said:

“Through faith,” grace came to us, and it is through the strengthening of our faith (only via the studying of Word of God by His Spirit) that we are able to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ” (2Pe 3:18).

 

 Great point. It's interesting how 1 Peter 2:2 speaks of this growing in relation to the Word of God (which you mentioned) and how this growth in grace is mentioned in 2 Peter 3:18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

 Good post NetChaplain.    M

Appreciated the compliment M, and God bless!

4 hours ago, Faber said:

 

 Great point. It's interesting how 1 Peter 2:2 speaks of this growing in relation to the Word of God (which you mentioned) and how this growth in grace is mentioned in 2 Peter 3:18.

Thank you for your reply and comment! God bless!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sometimes it works the other way, too.

 

My Eyes Are Dry

by Kieth Green

 

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to You and dead to me

 

But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of Your Blood

 

VIDEO

Edited by atpollard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atpollard said:

Sometimes it works the other way, too.

 

My Eyes Are Dry

by Kieth Green

 

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to You and dead to me

 

But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of Your Blood

 

VIDEO

It's during the lulls in our life (which will always come and go) that we learn most from what God is always going to teach us next! God bless and thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...