The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Deidre

If people willingly deny Jesus, could they ever be saved?

I have a few friends who are atheists, and are indifferent to the Gospel. They know it, they were once theists in some cases, but they reject the idea of Christianity, as a whole concept. They sometimes play with the idea that ''a god'' exists, but not a personal God, and Jesus is ''just another prophet,'' in their eyes. If they live relatively decent lives, being kind to others, etc...can they be saved? Or asking it another way, will all people who willingly reject Jesus, spend eternity in hell?

38 minutes ago, Deidre said:

will all people who willingly reject Jesus, spend eternity in hell?

Yes.

If they consider Him to be no more than a prophet then they are lost, since they do not confess that He is God (YHWH) - Romans 10:13.

Furthermore, a prophet of God would not lie about the things of God, and Jesus taught us that He is to be worshiped as God (John 5:23; 14:14).

• Like 2

Staff
1 hour ago, Deidre said:

If they live relatively decent lives, being kind to others, etc...can they be saved?

Paul was saved . Living decent lives being kind does not save us.. 

Joh 3:5  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 
Joh 3:6  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Deidre said:

I have a few friends who are atheists, and are indifferent to the Gospel. They know it, they were once theists in some cases, but they reject the idea of Christianity, as a whole concept. They sometimes play with the idea that ''a god'' exists, but not a personal God, and Jesus is ''just another prophet,'' in their eyes. If they live relatively decent lives, being kind to others, etc...can they be saved? Or asking it another way, will all people who willingly reject Jesus, spend eternity in hell?

No, a works orientated salvation will not save. Only by the grace of God in Christ can a person be effectively saved. Some religious TV personalities are notorious for supporting and practicing the " sinners prayer ". Sadly there are many false conversions resulting from that unbiblical practice  . Salvation is all the work of God.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

According to God ...

[Jhn 3:16-21 NASB] 16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

[Jhn 3:36 NASB] 36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Without Christ, they need to live their own sinless life to earn a place in heaven.  "Better than Hitler" is not the yardstick that God uses to measure 'a good person' by ... "as good as Jesus" is the measure they will be compared to.

• Like 2
  • Toast 1
  • Yay 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. It would seem to be the obvious and perhaps even ''easy'' choice, to accept and follow Jesus. But, I strayed away from faith a few years back, and felt a sense of indifference. But, now that I'm very much into my faith again, I can't imagine leaving. I can't imagine turning my back on Jesus. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deidre said:

I can't imagine turning my back on Jesus. 

John 6:68

Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. 

• Like 4

I was listening to a podcast that touches on this topic - and it was a little sobering in that the speaker was talking about how all of the activities that we are involved in, and charities ''for God,'' outreach and missions really don't indicate that we ''know'' God. There is a difference between knowing of God, knowing ABOUT God and knowing God. As to love Him. I feel that I'm finally growing in my faith, after spending my childhood and part of adulthood in the Catholic Church, going through the motions. But, in my defense, the brainwashing of the RCC is pretty convincing, and you just believe that following the Catholic way, will lead you to Jesus. 😞

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, Deidre said:

Yes and no.  YHWH has set many principles into the scriptures and one strong one is the thief on the cross.  I fail you here because I have not my Thompson Chain at my side but you should be able to find the other important verses on the Internet.  But the thief on the cross took Yashuah ha'Mashiah as his Savior hanging on the cross, fcacing certain death from the same spear thrust into the Heart Sack of his Savior.  If your friends take what they already know to heart, in the same minuted they die, our LORD will save them anjd y7ou wil be there with them.

Now, the no here is because of poor teaching.  Hell, the grave, is where only the Sinners Spirit goes to await the Fin al Judgment and Sentencing, none Judgment none spend Eternity there.  There have been an arguable number of resurrections throughout scripture so using only the Renewed Covenant there are four viewed or predicted, the final requiring a thinking, studying mind.

The first is when Yashuah waited for Lazarus to pass over into the Buxom of Abraham before He came to his Sisters.  Yashuah then called him out of the Grave, thus the First Resurrection.  Then the is the Resurrection of the Old Testament, Jewish Bible, Saints in, I recall Matthew 27, about verse 51 and following, the Second Resurrection.

The Third is still in the future and occurs when Yashuah will be seen the world around though He will not set foot upon the earth as He calls the Saints of the Renewed Covenant to Him in the sky.  The Final Resurrection will occur somewhere during, just before or just after all life is extinguished by fire and then replenished and returned to the Original State of it's creation.

I pray this eases your concerns and gives you reason to continue planting and watering where crops of the past have failed.  May YHWH bless your family, your heart and your work for Him.

Bill Taylor

Bond Servant

Killer Spade 806 CE

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We can still pray for the atheists.  Some of them may turn to Christ or back to Christ as you have.

Edited by CDF47
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, Deidre said:

This is the case with the majority of mankind, especially the ones who claim to know God but deny His Son. We were all there at one time, until He converted us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Solas said:

This is the case with the majority of mankind, especially the ones who claim to know God but deny His Son. We were all there at one time, until He converted us.

That's an excellent point. 

Happy Easter everyone!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deidre said:

That's an excellent point. 

Happy Easter everyone!

Happy Easter!

• Like 1