The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Jesus is considered to be a Messenger of God and he was sent to guide the Children of Israel. [Mathew 10:5-6 and Mathew 15:24] - I was sent ONLY to help God's lost sheep -- the people of Israel with a new scripture, the Injil or Gospel.

Just for the record ...

[Matthew 10:5-6 NASB] "These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

• Jesus sent his 12 disciples out to the 'lost sheep of Israel' on that specific occasion.  It was not a universal limitation.
  • Read to the end if the Gospel:  "But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.' " [Matthew 28:16-20 NASB]

[Matthew 15:24 NASB] But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

• This was a test of the woman's faith.  Note that Jesus DID heal her daughter.
  • The verse in context:  [Matthew 15:21-28 NASB] Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, "Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed." But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, "Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us." But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters' table."  Then Jesus said to her, "O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed at once.
  • Aparently Jesus DIDN'T only heal the 'lost sheep of Israel', since he praised a Canaanite woman and healed her daughter.  Actions speak louder than words.

Staff

• Like 1
  • Love 1