The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Deidre

Prayer request as I decide what to do re: my career

Posted (edited)

I've been listening to some podcasts recently by Timothy Keller, a Presbyterian minister, who is just awesome, imo. He talks a lot about how God doesn't really interfere with our decision making, instead, if we follow Him and have Jesus as the center of our heart - then our decision making will keep that in mind. We won't wish to make decisions that are immoral, for example. God is most concerned with us, having us belong to Him. Having us love and follow Him, and treat others with that same love. As long as our motives are about that in all things, then God doesn't really interfere with if you should go to have a coffee or not at Starbucks, or if you should leave one job for another. (unless your motivations are not in the right place)

That said, I left a job last year that had me in a very toxic environment. I was there for a few years, did a great job, but it was just managed in all the wrong ways, had a lot of turnover, and this new job came along, offering me nearly double what I made there, and working from home. i felt like God was rescuing me, to be honest. I had been praying for a solution to get out of that last company, and that seemed to be it. I've been working here now for nearly a year, and working from home is a blessing. No more commute and the money is great. I actually love the job, itself. But, as we know, there are no unicorns (perfect jobs) so there's a guy who for some reason, is making my life difficult here. I think he feels threatened by me, not sure why, but the last manager we had, he seemed to like my ideas. I also feel that this guy should be let go, if I'm honest. I haven't told anyone that, but he just isn't capable of doing what is expected, yet he spins tales to always get him off the hook of his responsibility. Points fingers at me and others, and he's like 65. Time to retire, bro. lol 

I feel like I need to find something else. I told myself I would never let myself feel like I did at my last job, and I'm working hard and this guy seems to have it out for me. He talked with me yesterday, and I actually shared some of my feelings with him, and he said how much he likes working with me, he respects me, respects my work...etc. But, 

Idk, I just feel he's lying. When you start following Christ, really following Him, He reveals things to you...He makes you sensitive to the evil in the world and you can see things that maybe you wouldn't see if you just applied human understanding to it. I don't think he's evil, but I don't think he's a nice guy. I met him recently, at an annual event, and was not impressed. He was drunk and rude, and I thought to myself, why do they keep this guy? 

Anyways, please pray for me that I do the right next thing. I don't know what to do, really. Part of me wants to leave, that I should be able to find an employer who has its act together more than this one. I don't think the problem stems from this guy for me, I think it's a bigger picture as to the company just seems to be ill managed and no one is on the same page. Everyone is tattling, shift blaming, and that's never going to create a productive environment. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have, and for your prayers. 🙂

Edited by Deidre
  • Praying 3

Staff

There is bound to be a jerk in every company. 

• Like 2

You're so right, Becky. I remind myself that the grass won't be better on another side of the fence, it will just be a different shade of green. 🙂 I pray for God's wisdom, and perhaps it is to stay put, send resumes, and work hard in the meantime.If there is something better, the door will open elsewhere. But, sometimes, being still is the best thing to do.

• Like 1

Staff
6 minutes ago, Deidre said:

being still is the best thing to do.

Amen and often the hardest 🙂

• Like 2

Tough situation to be in. Working with people like that almost everyday can be difficult. 

Psalm 143:8 (KJV)

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I found when I was still fortunate to be allowed employment that connecting with management was never a bad thing, as long as it was non aggressive and informative only.  When I established my own company, I would dismiss people that knew, better than me how to operate my company and I also kept a promotion list and possible dismissal ranking, based on an assortment of items including inability to recognise talent under his direction.

Just remember to approach upper management gently.

• Like 1

I agree, and with that said, I'm going to look for a new job. This place is too unstable, it's been through a few managers in upper mgmt in less than one year. I think it's because they don't know how to manage, and don't have healthy checks and balances. Sometimes, the CEO is the last to know that the ship is sinking, sadly. 

Perhaps God has sent this man into your life for a reason.  He might want to teach you something by your exposure his man's actions or he might want you to help him in some way.  I suggest you pray for the man and ask God what he wants you to do about him.

11 hours ago, theophilus said:

Perhaps God has sent this man into your life for a reason.  He might want to teach you something by your exposure his man's actions or he might want you to help him in some way.  I suggest you pray for the man and ask God what he wants you to do about him.

I thought so in the beginning when I first took this job last year. When shades of his behavior started. I stayed kind to him, ignored the bad stuff. It just got to the point recently, where I can't pretend like his behavior is okay. I had a talk with management about him, and he is mad that I did this. Honestly, if he resigned, it would be a blessing for the company, whether they realize it or not. I don't wish him any harm of course, I just wish to be respected. I respect him, but at this point, I'm keeping him at an arm's length. There's much more to the story, but I've prayed about this last night, and this morning I felt like God gave me the strength to share with management what has been happening. It's not sexual harassment or anything like that. But, we'll see what happens. Thank you for your prayer and insight, it is something to ponder.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Deidre said:

I've been listening to some podcasts recently by Timothy Keller, a Presbyterian minister, who is just awesome, imo. He talks a lot about how God doesn't really interfere with our decision making, instead, if we follow Him and have Jesus as the center of our heart - then our decision making will keep that in mind. We won't wish to make decisions that are immoral, for example. God is most concerned with us, having us belong to Him. Having us love and follow Him, and treat others with that same love. As long as our motives are about that in all things, then God doesn't really interfere with if you should go to have a coffee or not at Starbucks, or if you should leave one job for another. (unless your motivations are not in the right place)

That said, I left a job last year that had me in a very toxic environment. I was there for a few years, did a great job, but it was just managed in all the wrong ways, had a lot of turnover, and this new job came along, offering me nearly double what I made there, and working from home. i felt like God was rescuing me, to be honest. I had been praying for a solution to get out of that last company, and that seemed to be it. I've been working here now for nearly a year, and working from home is a blessing. No more commute and the money is great. I actually love the job, itself. But, as we know, there are no unicorns (perfect jobs) so there's a guy who for some reason, is making my life difficult here. I think he feels threatened by me, not sure why, but the last manager we had, he seemed to like my ideas. I also feel that this guy should be let go, if I'm honest. I haven't told anyone that, but he just isn't capable of doing what is expected, yet he spins tales to always get him off the hook of his responsibility. Points fingers at me and others, and he's like 65. Time to retire, bro. lol 

I feel like I need to find something else. I told myself I would never let myself feel like I did at my last job, and I'm working hard and this guy seems to have it out for me. He talked with me yesterday, and I actually shared some of my feelings with him, and he said how much he likes working with me, he respects me, respects my work...etc. But, 

Idk, I just feel he's lying. When you start following Christ, really following Him, He reveals things to you...He makes you sensitive to the evil in the world and you can see things that maybe you wouldn't see if you just applied human understanding to it. I don't think he's evil, but I don't think he's a nice guy. I met him recently, at an annual event, and was not impressed. He was drunk and rude, and I thought to myself, why do they keep this guy? 

Anyways, please pray for me that I do the right next thing. I don't know what to do, really. Part of me wants to leave, that I should be able to find an employer who has its act together more than this one. I don't think the problem stems from this guy for me, I think it's a bigger picture as to the company just seems to be ill managed and no one is on the same page. Everyone is tattling, shift blaming, and that's never going to create a productive environment. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have, and for your prayers. 🙂

When God is involved in the lives of the believing there are no stones left unturned. God is just as much in the work you do as He is in the faith you practice. The secret is to "Let go and let God." Only in that case can you have the perfect volition enter your life  . One that begins with a natural affection for the work you are assigned to do and the other is the security it offers because it is all from God. You cannot choose a career on your own without making very serious mistakes. The one great mistake is to put your trust in assumptions . Assumptions are extremely deceptive and misleading. You have to have a talent that you thoroughly enjoy and the attitude and strength that never gives you a boring moment or getting tired and losing interest in what you're doing . Only God can fulfill  that role. I'm giving you this information based on my own personal career that I can credit the absolute sovereignty of God to. He put His providence in my heart , and provided everything to put me in business for myself for so  many years in a profession that I would re-enter today if I could.  I loved what I was doing and can only thank God for giving me that wonderful talent . I'm praying for you . But don't act hastily and assume when something enters your life it is from God. It may not be from Him. Remember, we also have a enemy that accuses us before the Throne of Grace night and day. Rev.12:10 . Your duty and privilege is prayer and supplication. Truly a gift from God.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

When God is involved in the lives of the believing there are no stones left unturned. God is just as much in the work you do as He is in the faith you practice. The secret is to "Let go and let God." Only in that case can you have the perfect volition enter your life  . One that begins with a natural affection for the work you are assigned to do and the other is the security it offers because it is all from God. You cannot choose a career on your own without making very serious mistakes. The one great mistake is to put your trust in assumptions . Assumptions are extremely deceptive and misleading. You have to have a talent that you thoroughly enjoy and the attitude and strength that never gives you a boring moment or getting tired and losing interest in what you're doing . Only God can fulfill  that role. I'm giving you this information based on my own personal career that I can credit the absolute sovereignty of God to. He put His providence in my heart , and provided everything to put me in business for myself for so  many years in a profession that I would re-enter today if I could.  I loved what I was doing and can only thank God for giving me that wonderful talent . I'm praying for you . But don't act hastily and assume when something enters your life it is from God. It may not be from Him. Remember, we also have a enemy that accuses us before the Throne of Grace night and day. Rev.12:10 . Your duty and privilege is prayer and supplication. Truly a gift from God.

Thanks for this, how do you know if a job is God's will?

19 hours ago, Deidre said:

Thanks for this, how do you know if a job is God's will?

To determine God's will for a job or any other thing for that matter, you do nothing . The Holy Spirit will put it in your heart and move you in the direction He wishes you to be  . That's why I brought up the matter of ' assumptions ' . Assumptions are false providences . A genuine providence results from prayer and an active eye towards God who is giving you strong convictions  in the direction He is leading you  . Prayer is an absolute must in this case because you must do nothing but wait for God who will answer you in the appointed time and due season. Assumptions  are false feelings of  "convincement " whereby the pieces all seem to be falling in place . But in reality they are deceptions that we bring upon ourselves because everything seems to be headed in that direction we desire so much . Quoting ; " There is a way that seems right unto a man ,but the end thereof are the ways of death . " Pv.14:12  The word "Seems " cannot be stressed  enough . I say that because we cannot say ,for instance ,  The law " seems " good  . We have to "  know " that the law is good. As for a job that offers excellent salaries and benefits and is well to your liking , God will put into your heart and move you in that direction. I am not saying that you should not fill out applications and not go on interviews . But begin this by applying to what you are most fond of. If you like working with people and computers and that is where God wants you to be, then He will speak to your heart and put  strong desires and urgencies that cannot be resisted into you mind and create in you a strong desire for that kind of work. And once settled, you will never fail at what you  do .So remember, the key is waiting on God.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, Deidre said:

I agree, and with that said, I'm going to look for a new job. This place is too unstable, it's been through a few managers in upper mgmt in less than one year. I think it's because they don't know how to manage, and don't have healthy checks and balances. Sometimes, the CEO is the last to know that the ship is sinking, sadly. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, Deidre said:

@Deidre If you feel uncomfortable in your present  surroundings then that is a clear indication that God does not want you there . Time to move on .

• Like 1

Watch out for Timothy Keller, sister, he's a little off.

Praying that things will work out well for you.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, Matthew Duvall said:

@Deidre If you feel uncomfortable in your present  surroundings then that is a clear indication that God does not want you there . Time to move on .

Things got a little better this week, but sometimes, God wants us to stand up for ourselves. We see that all through the Bible, and He gave me the strength to do so. I'm happy it's Friday though lol 😍 

18 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

Watch out for Timothy Keller, sister, he's a little off.

Praying that things will work out well for you.

Really? What do you see in Timothy Keller that you think is off? I'm not entirely sure what Presbyterians ''believe,'' if it's that off the path of non-denominational? I'm non-denominational.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deidre said:

Things got a little better this week, but sometimes, God wants us to stand up for ourselves. We see that all through the Bible, and He gave me the strength to do so. I'm happy it's Friday though lol 😍 

Really? What do you see in Timothy Keller that you think is off? I'm not entirely sure what Presbyterians ''believe,'' if it's that off the path of non-denominational? I'm non-denominational.

I'm actually a Presbyterian myself. Tim Keller is known for leaning a little too far to the left.

Here's is an article from a sight that has covered Tim Keller multiple times.

BIBLETHUMPINGWINGNUT.COM

What is an antinomian? ANTINOMIAN  (noun) relating to the view that Christians are...

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, Deidre said:

Careful Deidre of what others may think of Timothy Keller . He's one of the biggies in the world of reformed religion. You may also enjoy Irwin Lutzer . A champion in reformed theology .

@Deidre. @Matthew Duvall.

Here's more to discern for yourselves. I find it hard not to come away thinking Mr. Keller is to be marked and avoided.

God bless.

I disagree. I've listened to a number of his podcasts, and he loves the Bible, and respects it. We'll have to agree to disagree. 

15 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Careful Deidre of what others may think of Timothy Keller . He's one of the biggies in the world of reformed religion. You may also enjoy Irwin Lutzer . A champion in reformed theology .

Thanks, Matthew. What do you mean by ''reformed?'' 

Thank you to everyone here who prayed for me, about my situation. I've learned a lot about myself, my weaknesses, and sin habits that come up from when I'm in stressful situations like this. That's something to continue to work on with Jesus. I'm grateful for all of my life, even the burdens that don't make sense. My pastor talking about how the donkey who carried Jesus, was ''burdened.'' But, the burden ended up being a blessing. He explained it better, lol but that message is that sometimes our burdens bring about the most blessings. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, Deidre said:

I disagree. I've listened to a number of his podcasts, and he loves the Bible, and respects it. We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Thanks, Matthew. What do you mean by ''reformed?'' 

Reformed is just a shortened way of referring to the Protestant Reformation .I'm surprised that you aren't familiar with the term. It would take a lot of time and space for me to explain the ramifications of that one momentous time in history when a German monk turned the Catholic Church on its side when he nailed his ninety five thesis on the door of the CC in Wittenberg, Germany in the sixteenth century . He devoted much of his time in doing in-depth studies on the subject of justification by faith alone , by Christ alone and etc.. Martin Luther was that person and we have him to thank for his splendid work that built a whole new way of looking at the way God designed to achieve our salvation .  If you want a complete explanation of the Reformation I would suggest that you download the subject  and print it all out. Have your bible handy and be prepared to take a lot of notes . I really can't suggest any particular book that would explain the Reformation since the subject is so widespread and the authors so plentiful . When you fully understand the Reformation you will wonder what ever happened to a works orientated  salvation . Works are just that....works ! Grace is the one word that keeps coming up when the subject of salvation comes up.     M

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Reformed is just a shortened way of referring to the Protestant Reformation .I'm surprised that you aren't familiar with the term. It would take a lot of time and space for me to explain the ramifications of that one momentous time in history when a German monk turned the Catholic Church on its side when he nailed his ninety five thesis on the door of the CC in Wittenberg, Germany in the sixteenth century . He devoted much of his time in doing in-depth studies on the subject of justification by faith alone , by Christ alone and etc.. Martin Luther was that person and we have him to thank for his splendid work that built a whole new way of looking at the way God designed to achieve our salvation .  If you want a complete explanation of the Reformation I would suggest that you download the subject  and print it all out. Have your bible handy and be prepared to take a lot of notes . I really can't suggest any particular book that would explain the Reformation since the subject is so widespread and the authors so plentiful . When you fully understand the Reformation you will wonder what ever happened to a works orientated  salvation . Works are just that....works ! Grace is the one word that keeps coming up when the subject of salvation comes up.     M

haha I know what the Reformation is. :=P The way you posted ''reformed theology,'' it sounded like Timothy Keller was doing something wrong, or unethical. 

Sometimes, things get lost in translation. 🙂