The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Deidre

Decision making and God's plan

Listening to a podcast by Timothy Keller, and he was talking about God's plans, and Proverbs, as they offer guidance and wisdom. He mentioned that our choices are ours, that God doesn't stop us from making our own free choices. But, there will be consequences, good or bad, to our choices. He said though that you could choose to do something moral, but it might not be wise. 

I came up with a few examples on my own, one being...like you could choose to do something impulsive, but it might not be immoral, and yet lead to bad consequences, so it ends up being an unwise decision. So, if you're at a crossroads when it comes to making a decision, is determining if it is sinful/immoral enough to make the decision, or should we also weigh other things, as well? 

What are some examples that you can think of? 

Staff

Sorta down that same line :  i am an aggressive driver... Many times going over St Helena Mt ,years past, the frustration of of some scaredy cat  driver poking along enjoying the beauty of that mountain, Could just push me over the top. A few times i realized had i passed i would have hit that stalled  truck.. God has kept me from some very unwise decisions.  Driving safer is one i have even learned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Becky said:

Sorta down that same line :  i am an aggressive driver... Many times going over St Helena Mt ,years past, the frustration of of some scaredy cat  driver poking along enjoying the beauty of that mountain, Could just push me over the top. A few times i realized had i passed i would have hit that stalled  truck.. God has kept me from some very unwise decisions.  Driving safer is one i have even learned. 

That's great, Becky! Yes, patience helps us to make wiser decisions. Being hasty usually has caused me to make some bad decisions, before. Not necessarily immoral, like your driving isn't a moral issue really, but just if I had taken the time to think things through, I'd see that there were better options instead of the ones I had chosen. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:09 PM, Becky said:

Having been a cab driver for 5 years and a truck driver for 35 years...I still see no purpose for poky drivers. LOL

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Deidre said:

Maybe they are sight seeing 😄

Fine, they don't have to sight-see in the fast lane. (hehe)

• Haha 1
  • Toast 1