The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
AWorkInProgress

Help with the concept of "feared God"

Hello everyone,

I was doing some reading of the scriptures in Exodus 1:15-21. The saying "feared God" came up and it really got my attention. It should be a simple concept to understand, but I really feel like I need help understanding it. I know proverbs 1:7a states "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge," yeah I feel very dense to really grasp what that fear means or looks like. 

I seen there are some really smart people here. Like to ask for any help on the subject please.

Staff
14 minutes ago, AWorkInProgress said:

Hello everyone,

I was doing some reading of the scriptures in Exodus 1:15-21. The saying "feared God" came up and it really got my attention. It should be a simple concept to understand, but I really feel like I need help understanding it. I know proverbs 1:7a states "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge," yeah I feel very dense to really grasp what that fear means or looks like. 

I seen there are some really smart people here. Like to ask for any help on the subject please.

Hey James! Glad to see you back.

I'm on a mobile device until sometime in April so I won't be able to post comprehensive material.

Just something to consider, fear, that is God fearing is a fruit of regeneration:

Jeremiah 32:40 I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.

Lemme ask you a question, does Matthew 7:21-23 strike fear in you? For me it does.

What does fear look like you ask, well, I live in California and when standing on the rocky shore where the massive waves crash from the ocean I have a sense of fear. The sense of fear I have is in a form of respect for the sheer power before me which would easily smash me against the rocks or just simply wisp me away into oblivion. How much more should I fear (awe over His power, His majesty, etc) the Lord our God, Creator of the entire universe which I will stand before one day? I mean imagining the floor beneath my feet fanning open and seeing all the starry firmament beneath. The Creator of heaven and hell before me. If by my works will I dare say before Him I deserve heaven because I......... Matthew 7 strikes fear in my heart.

• Like 3

Psalm 34:11  

Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. (NASB)  

1. Watson's Biblical and Theological Dictionary: Fear is put for the whole worship of God: "I will teach you the fear of the Lord" Psalms 34:11; I will teach you the true way of worshipping and serving God. (Fear)  

http://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/wtd/view.cgi?n=668

I think fearing the Lord also entails a continuous worshipful mindset of awe, wonder and respect for the Lord.

Proverbs 23:17

Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long. (KJV)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, William said:

Hey James! Glad to see you back.

I'm on a mobile device until sometime in April so I won't be able to post comprehensive material.

Just something to consider, fear, that is God fearing is a fruit of regeneration:

Jeremiah 32:40 I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.

Lemme ask you a question, does Matthew 7:21-23 strike fear in you? For me it does.

What does fear look like you ask, well, I live in California and when standing on the rocky shore where the massive waves crash from the ocean I have a sense of fear. The sense of fear I have is in a form of respect for the sheer power before me which would easily smash me against the rocks or just simply wisp me away into oblivion. How much more should I fear (awe over His power, His majesty, etc) the Lord our God, Creator of the entire universe which I will stand before one day? I mean imagining the floor beneath my feet fanning open and seeing all the starry firmament beneath. The Creator of heaven and hell before me. If by my works will I dare say before Him I deserve heaven because I......... Matthew 7 strikes fear in my heart.

Thanks William! Your analogy struck a cord with me. When I was a kid, I would just be in awe of lightning storms and their intensity. Be on my porch just watching it. My Mom would be hiding in her bed though lol

20 hours ago, Faber said:

Psalm 34:11  

Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. (NASB)  

1. Watson's Biblical and Theological Dictionary: Fear is put for the whole worship of God: "I will teach you the fear of the Lord" Psalms 34:11; I will teach you the true way of worshipping and serving God. (Fear)  

http://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/wtd/view.cgi?n=668

I think fearing the Lord also entails a continuous worshipful mindset of awe, wonder and respect for the Lord.

Proverbs 23:17

Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long. (KJV)

Thanks Faber! I am meditating on Psalm 34.

Being very transparent I greatly feared the Lord years ago, thinking I could lose my salvation. Over time I had a situation where I fell into a false teaching, and God snapped me out of it. Lord used RC Sproul to help put me back together, and eventually I became Reformed in my thinking.  It has been very weird with the transition, and for the most part I been facing it with only with my wife and the resources of Ligonier Ministries.

Total depravity made a lot of sense since I knew my depravity well. It has been hard to accept that I had to go thru the painful hardships that I did, that humbled me to seek the Lord out. Perseverance of the Saints, I am no longer afraid to loose my salvation as I did before. It doesn't mean I have the freedom to do evil things, but the fear if upsetting and angering my God is almost gone. With my home church gone, the small church group now disbanded. I have really begin to question a lot of things I been taught over the years prior to becoming reformed. 

I was all concern about the calling to preach and teach, but recently I just gave it to the Lord. I am too much a mess. Lately a door has opened up to help me break my addiction to video games. Equipped me with information I didn't know the last time I tried to quit. Slowly but surely reading the scriptures again. Like I need to relearn the fear of the Lord. A part of me is still upset for the pain I had to go thru, like logically it is a merciful gift that the Lord even put me into his thoughts from the beginning of time. Yet there is that human part of me that is angry for the life I could have had. It makes no sense, yet it is how I feel. The Lord been working on me in this area, but it is a process that takes time. 

Thanks for hearing me out and for helping me to grasp the basics again. 

Staff
1 hour ago, AWorkInProgress said:

Thanks William! Your analogy struck a cord with me. When I was a kid, I would just be in awe of lightning storms and their intensity. Be on my porch just watching it. My Mom would be hiding in her bed though lol

Philippians 2:12-13 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AWorkInProgress said:

Yet there is that human part of me that is angry for the life I could have had. It makes no sense, yet it is how I feel. The Lord been working on me in this area, but it is a process that takes time. 

I think about this sometimes, but there are so many variables that I am not aware of and I'd still probably make a mess of it thinking if "I" do things this way or that way, rather than letting the Lord work through me for "His" good pleasure.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, William said:

Thanks William, I perceive the mess I made out of the belief in Reformed faith was not what the reformers were hoping for. Currently I am studying and meditating on about God the Father Almighty.  

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2019 at 2:04 AM, AWorkInProgress said:

A part of me is still upset for the pain I had to go thru, like logically it is a merciful gift that the Lord even put me into his thoughts from the beginning of time. Yet there is that human part of me that is angry for the life I could have had. It makes no sense, yet it is how I feel. The Lord been working on me in this area, but it is a process that takes time. 

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. 🙂

Two observations on pain:

1. The place where a broken bone heals is stronger than any other part of the bone, so that bone will almost never break at that spot again. So our past seems to remain forever both a source of weakness and a source of strength, depending on which inner voice we listen to.  [Heb 13:5-6 NASB] 5 [Make sure that] your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," 6 so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" ... Now they are more than just words, they are experience.

2. Empathy comes from pain.  The ability to help someone else often requires you to have "been there and done that" yourself.  I can offer encouragement to a brother struggling with alcoholism, but it means little coming from someone who has never wanted to drink, let alone struggled with the craving.  That is why AA has recovered alcoholics sponsor new attempting-to-recover alcoholics.  Whatever you went through has ultimately uniquely qualified you to help someone else who is struggling that you have yet to meet.  Remember the arrogant boy Joseph who learned humility and the skills of Egyptian Court life and how to manage the lowliest of laborers ... all through hardship in order to save Israel and Egypt.

May the LORD bless you and keep you,

May the LORD cause his face to shine upon you,

May the LORD lift up his countenance to you, and grant you His perfect peace.

In the name of the Father, and the Son and the sweet Holy Spirit,

Amen

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 1