The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

My church's sermon today was mainly on James 2:10, how if you break one commandment, you are guilty of breaking them all. My pastor explained this, by giving an analogy of hanging by a chain of links. One link breaks, they all break, and you plummet to your death. I get the analogy, but it seems like a harsh warning. What do you think about this passage?

Staff

Makes me thankful we are saved by Grace.   Who among us is not guilty of James 2:10 ?  

Rom 11:6  And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. 
This is no way implies we should not do 'good works'  We do 'good works' because we are saved not to be saved. 

• Like 2
  • Best Answer 1

3 hours ago, Deidre said:

My church's sermon today was mainly on James 2:10, how if you break one commandment, you are guilty of breaking them all. My pastor explained this, by giving an analogy of hanging by a chain of links. One link breaks, they all break, and you plummet to your death. I get the analogy, but it seems like a harsh warning. What do you think about this passage?

We are all guilty.

I am a lawbreaker (James 2:10).

I then go about doing zillions of any kind of good works.

At the end of the day (the end of my life) -> I am still a lawbreaker.

Who can free me because I can not free myself?

NIDNTT: From this Paul concludes that man can be justified only by faith in Christ (Rom. 3:26, 28; 5:1; Gal. 2:16), i.e. by trusting utterly and only in God's grace, which by definition must be a free gift (Rom. 3:24) (3:363, Righteousness, H. Seebass).

• Like 1

Matthew 22:36-40

36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, all. In thinking it through, it occurred to me this passage also has to do with where our hearts are, when it comes to any sin. 

If I gossip for example, it's no different than someone who takes someone's life, or struggles with sexual sin. We may see our sin as ''less than'' others' sins, but it's the position of our hearts towards God that matters. All of our sins mean that our hearts are not with God for those moments. I thought this was such an enlightening passage, today!

• Like 1

Justification is only through grace and it is a good thing for we can never really keep perfectly the law. During the OT times they endeavored to keep it by the letter. Christ came and gave the Sermon on the Mount for the spiritual application of that same law.

The more we learn of holiness and about God's nature, the more we see ourselves falling short. Sometime I wonder why God puts up with us, but it must be character building to deny self-will and walk according to the word. One thing, it will get your eyes of worldly goodies: money, fame, lands, fine cars, boats, jewelry, furs, etc.

• Like 1

Staff
On 3/24/2019 at 10:58 AM, Deidre said:

I get the analogy, but it seems like a harsh warning.

I do not get the impression that any of the Apostles and Jesus were seeker friendly 🤣

• Like 1
  • Yay 1