The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Do unto God and God does unto you

1. If you honor God, He will honor you (1 Samuel 2:30).

2. If you are with the Lord, He is with you (2 Chronicles 15:2).

3. If you forsake Him, then He will forsake you (2 Chronicles 12:5; 15:2).

4. If you love wisdom, then wisdom will love you (Proverbs 8:17).

5. If you return to the Lord, He will return to you (Zechariah 1:3; Malachi 3:7).

6. If you confess or deny Christ, He will confess or deny you (Matthew 10:32-33; cf. Luke 12:8; 2 Timothy 2:12).

7. If you love Jesus, He and the Father will love you (John 14:21).

8. If you abide in Christ, He will abide in you (John 15:4-5).

9. If you draw near to God, He will draw near to you (James 4:8).

Are there any other verses that you know of that read in the same way these verses about doing unto God and then He will do unto you?

• Like 1

Only problem with that compilation of verses is it makes it sound like we are the 'first mover'. There is also the other side...

1 John 4:19 (ASV) We love, because he first loved us.

John 15:5 (ASV) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.

John 15:16 (ASV) Ye did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that ye should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should abide: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Ephesians 1:4 (KJV) According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solas said:

Only problem with that compilation of verses is it makes it sound like we are the 'first mover'. 

Sorry about that. That was not my intention.

It always takes the Lord to initiate opening the heart (Acts 16:14).

• Yay 1

Just now, Faber said:

Sorry about that. That was not my intention.

I didn't think so, I just wanted to present a balance. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:42 AM, Faber said:

1. If you honor God, He will honor you (1 Samuel 2:30).

2. If you are with the Lord, He is with you (2 Chronicles 15:2).

3. If you forsake Him, then He will forsake you (2 Chronicles 12:5; 15:2).

4. If you love wisdom, then wisdom will love you (Proverbs 8:17).

5. If you return to the Lord, He will return to you (Zechariah 1:3; Malachi 3:7).

6. If you confess or deny Christ, He will confess or deny you (Matthew 10:32-33; cf. Luke 12:8; 2 Timothy 2:12).

7. If you love Jesus, He and the Father will love you (John 14:21).

8. If you abide in Christ, He will abide in you (John 15:4-5).

9. If you draw near to God, He will draw near to you (James 4:8).

Are there any other verses that you know of that read in the same way these verses about doing unto God and then He will do unto you?

I'll give this one a spin...

Psalm 22:8 KJV
[8] He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

10. If you are hostile against God, He will be hostile against you (Leviticus 26:23-24).

11. Those who refused to hear God's call, He refused to hear their call (Jeremiah 7:13, 11:14; cf. Proverbs 1:24, 28).