The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
LoveofTruth

To the Church in thy House

TO THE CHURCH IN THY HOUSE

Here are some verses showing the pattern and order as led by God that the church met in homes to consider

“And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting” (Acts 2:2)

"And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

( Acts 2:46,47)

Notice that they were not driven into homes because of persecution. They had favour with all the people. In fact Paul ( Saul) knew just where to find them when he persecuted the church

"As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison."(Acts 8:3)

Here are some more verses showing the order, or pattern of the church.

"And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house,"(Acts 20:20)

"Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:...5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house." (Romans 16:3,5)

"The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.)1 Cor 16:19)

"Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house."(Colossians 4:15)

"And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:"(Philemon 1:2)

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"(2 John 10)

"Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake."(Titus 1:11)

"14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. 15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us...40 And they went out of the prison, and entered into the house of Lydia: and when they had seen the brethren, they comforted them, and departed."(Acts 16:14,15,40)

"And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:"(James 2:3) Footstools are in houses.

It is clear that the Christians met in homes instead of man-made buildings that are unbiblically called "churches", or "the house of God". Unlike the O.T., Christians had no command or example to build temples or large edifices called "the church". The New Testament pattern and order that the apostles set up under Christ headship was to meet in homes around Christ as the head. This is clearly seen in all over the New Testament and for the first 250 to 300 years of Christian history. They did so because Christ was leading them to do so through the apostles. So why would we want to do anything else?

Acts 7:48

"Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,"

• Haha 1