The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

2 hours ago, Ben Asher said:

Here are a few educated opinions on the meaning of "I am escaped with the skin of my teeth"

Clines, David J. A. Job 1–20. Vol. 17. Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998. Word Biblical Commentary.

51 tn Or “I am left.”
52 tn The word “alive” is not in the Hebrew text, but is supplied in the translation for clarity.

Biblical Studies Press. The NET Bible First Edition Notes. Biblical Studies Press, 2006.

Keil, Carl Friedrich, and Franz Delitzsch. Commentary on the Old Testament. Vol. 4. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1996.

Alden, Robert L. Job. Vol. 11. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1993. The New American Commentary.

Reyburn, William David. A Handbook on the Book of Job. New York: United Bible Societies, 1992. UBS Handbook Series.

Nice breakdown.

5 hours ago, Ben Asher said:

Here are a few educated opinions on the meaning of "I am escaped with the skin of my teeth"

Clines, David J. A. Job 1–20. Vol. 17. Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998. Word Biblical Commentary.

51 tn Or “I am left.”
52 tn The word “alive” is not in the Hebrew text, but is supplied in the translation for clarity.

Biblical Studies Press. The NET Bible First Edition Notes. Biblical Studies Press, 2006.

Keil, Carl Friedrich, and Franz Delitzsch. Commentary on the Old Testament. Vol. 4. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1996.

Alden, Robert L. Job. Vol. 11. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1993. The New American Commentary.

Reyburn, William David. A Handbook on the Book of Job. New York: United Bible Societies, 1992. UBS Handbook Series.

This is classic of overthinking a subject. Hahaha...

Posted (edited)

Not exactly idioms but challenging KJV examples:

"So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college;) and they communed with her."

and

Because thou hast forgotten the God of thy salvation, and hast not been mindful of the rock of thy strength, therefore shalt thou plant pleasant plants, and shalt set it with strange slips:

Edited by Ben Asher
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ben Asher said:

Not exactly idioms but challenging KJV examples:

and

That's a tough one. I'll have to think about it.

Edited by CDF47

Staff

This verb is used 44 times in the KJV.

The 3rd person form is "wist" (13x).

The 1st person form is "wot" (10x).

The infinitive form is "wit" (21x).

Without checking a dictionary and without checking the KJV for context how many of you know, just off the top of your head, what this verb means?  Please be honest.

• Confused 1

I clicked confused. Not because your post is confusing but because I am confused at to the meaning of wist, wot and wit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Origen said:

This verb is used 44 times in the KJV.

The 3rd person form is "wist" (13x).

The 1st person form is "wot" (10x).

The infinitive form is "wit" (21x).

Without checking a dictionary and without checking the KJV for context how many of you know, just off the top of your head, what this verb means?  Please be honest.

I would say to know or knew.

Staff
4 minutes ago, deade said:

I would say to know or knew.

Excellent!  Excellent!

Gen. 21:26 And Abimelech said, I wot not who hath done this thing: neither didst thou tell me, neither yet heard I of it, but to day.

Gen. 24:21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not.

Gen. 44:15 And Joseph said unto them, What deed is this that ye have done? wot ye not that such a man as I can certainly divine?

Ex. 2:4 And his sister stood afar off, to wit what would be done to him.

Ex. 16:15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat.

Ex. 32:1   And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

Ex. 32:23 For they said unto me, Make us gods, which shall go before us: for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

Ex. 34:29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.

Lev. 5:17 And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty, and shall bear his iniquity. 18 And he shall bring a ram without blemish out of the flock, with thy estimation, for a trespass offering, unto the priest: and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his ignorance wherein he erred and wist it not, and it shall be forgiven him.

Num. 22:6 Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me: peradventure I shall prevail, that we may smite them, and that I may drive them out of the land: for I wot that he whom thou blessest is blessed, and he whom thou cursest is cursed.

Josh. 2:4 And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were: 5 And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither the men went I wot not: pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.

Josh. 8:14 And it came to pass, when the king of Ai saw it, that they hasted and rose up early, and the men of the city went out against Israel to battle, he and all his people, at a time appointed, before the plain; but he wist not that there were liers in ambush against him behind the city.

Josh. 17:1   There was also a lot for the tribe of Manasseh; for he was the firstborn of Joseph; to wit, for Machir the firstborn of Manasseh, the father of Gilead: because he was a man of war, therefore he had Gilead and Bashan.

Judg. 16:20 And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.

1Kings 2:32 And the LORD shall return his blood upon his own head, who fell upon two men more righteous and better than he, and slew them with the sword, my father David not knowing thereof, to wit, Abner the son of Ner, captain of the host of Israel, and Amasa the son of Jether, captain of the host of Judah.

1Kings 7:50 And the bowls, and the snuffers, and the basons, and the spoons, and the censers of pure gold; and the hinges of gold, both for the doors of the inner house, the most holy place, and for the doors of the house, to wit, of the temple.

1Kings 13:23   And it came to pass, after he had eaten bread, and after he had drunk, that he saddled for him the ass, to wit, for the prophet whom he had brought back.

2Kings 10:29   Howbeit from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Bethel, and that were in Dan.

1Chr. 7:2 And the sons of Tola; Uzzi, and Rephaiah, and Jeriel, and Jahmai, and Jibsam, and Shemuel, heads of their father’s house, to wit, of Tola: they were valiant men of might in their generations; whose number was in the days of David two and twenty thousand and six hundred.

1Chr. 27:1   Now the children of Israel after their number, to wit, the chief fathers and captains of thousands and hundreds, and their officers that served the king in any matter of the courses, which came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year, of every course were twenty and four thousand.

2Chr. 4:12 To wit, the two pillars, and the pommels, and the chapiters which were on the top of the two pillars, and the two wreaths to cover the two pommels of the chapiters which were on the top of the pillars;

2Chr. 25:7 But there came a man of God to him, saying, O king, let not the army of Israel go with thee; for the LORD is not with Israel, to wit, with all the children of Ephraim.

2Chr. 25:10 Then Amaziah separated them, to wit, the army that was come to him out of Ephraim, to go home again: wherefore their anger was greatly kindled against Judah, and they returned home in great anger.

2Chr. 31:3 He appointed also the king’s portion of his substance for the burnt offerings, to wit, for the morning and evening burnt offerings, and the burnt offerings for the sabbaths, and for the new moons, and for the set feasts, as it is written in the law of the LORD.

Neh. 11:3 Now these are the chief of the province that dwelt in Jerusalem: but in the cities of Judah dwelt every one in his possession in their cities, to wit, Israel, the priests, and the Levites, and the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon’s servants.

Esth. 2:12 Now when every maid’s turn was come to go in to king Ahasuerus, after that she had been twelve months, according to the manner of the women, (for so were the days of their purifications accomplished, to wit, six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with sweet odours, and with other things for the purifying of the women;)

Jer. 25:18 To wit, Jerusalem, and the cities of Judah, and the kings thereof, and the princes thereof, to make them a desolation, an astonishment, an hissing, and a curse; as it is this day;

Jer. 34:9 That every man should let his manservant, and every man his maidservant, being an Hebrew or an Hebrewess, go free; that none should serve himself of them, to wit, of a Jew his brother.

Ezek. 13:16 To wit, the prophets of Israel which prophesy concerning Jerusalem, and which see visions of peace for her, and there is no peace, saith the Lord GOD.

Mark 9:6 For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid.

Mark 14:40 And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him.

Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?

John 5:13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.

Acts 3:17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.

Acts 7:40 Saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to go before us: for as for this Moses, which brought us out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

Acts 12:9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

Acts 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Rom. 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Rom. 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

2Cor. 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

2Cor. 8:1   Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;

Phil. 1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

Staff

What is a "haft"?  Used one time in the KJV.

Staff
15 minutes ago, atpollard said:

Wooden Handle ... like of an axe or spear?

YES!

Judg. 3:22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

1 hour ago, Origen said:

YES!

Judg. 3:22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

We don't have to guess what is meant by the "dirt" do we?

• Toast 1

Staff
8 hours ago, deade said:

We don't have to guess what is meant by the "dirt" do we?

Thanks!  My eye just glossed over that one.  I know what it is, so would anyone else like to take a guess?

11 hours ago, Origen said:

Thanks!  My eye just glossed over that one.  I know what it is, so would anyone else like to take a guess?

Any farmer or hunter has had meat contaminated with "dirt" which is excrement from the large intestines.