The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
GaoLu

Prayer Request

Well.  I never really expected to post here, but sometimes things change.  I just learned that I have colon cancer.  We don't how advanced it may be, but it isn't looking good. God clearly has a new assignment for us and we want to live it well.  I ask for prayer that my wife and I use this opportunity well to glorify God, strengthen Believers and spread the Gospel. Hopefully, we will be fine and back to work soon.

Meanwhile....we may be looking for a place to stay near Virginia Mason in Seattle for a while.  So if anyone has suggestions, that might help as well.

• Praying 5

Staff
1 minute ago, GaoLu said:

Well.  I never really expected to post here, but sometimes things change.  I just learned that I have colon cancer.  We don't how advanced it may be, but it isn't looking good. God clearly has a new assignment for us and we want to live it well.  I ask for prayer that my wife and I use this opportunity well to glorify God, strengthen Believers and spread the Gospel. Hopefully, we will be fine and back to work soon.

Meanwhile....we may be looking for a place to stay near Virginia Mason in Seattle for a while.  So if anyone has suggestions, that might help as well.

Sorry to hear that GaoLu.  Praying for the best.

• Like 1

Staff

Prayer for the both of you.  

• Like 1

Praying about this matter. Also, my mother had colon cancer back in 2013, but thankfully she has been healed through God and the treatment prescribed by doctors. I pray that this would be the same for you immediately.

• Like 1

Please keep us updated. May God strengthen your heart to glorify Him more and more through these difficult days.

• Like 1

Staff
On 3/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, GaoLu said:

I never really expected to post here, but sometimes things change.

I was in the same boat a year or two ago when my father was diagnosed with cancer. He passed last May.

I offer my continued prayers for you GaoLu and not only you but your loved ones.

I pray that in this time your faith will be strengthened and that you recognize the glory of God even from life until death, and that if the Lord wills that you'd be granted more time to be used instrumentally in our Great Commission. Lord knows we are outnumbered upon this earth and need faithful men to continue preparing others for God's kingdom. I pray that the physicians that are treating you be granted the wisdom and skill to treat you.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I’m very sorry to hear about what you’re going through, friend. I know how difficult it must be for you. Be assured of my prayers for you and your wife. May you know the comforting presence of His Holy Spirit renewing you inwardly, as well as His sovereign power, which is able to touch your body and heal you according to His perfect will. Stay strong in Him and take good care of yourself. Grace and peace to you.

• Like 1

A beautiful thing is that on a forum, where we don't really know each other, comforting words and prayers from Brothers and Sisters mean so much.  God's idea of church is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Staff
15 minutes ago, GaoLu said:

A beautiful thing is that on a forum, where we don't really know each other, comforting words and prayers from Brothers and Sisters mean so much.  God's idea of church is a wonderful thing.

Don't know how everyone feels about others on the board but it is something that softens my heart. Knowing that no matter where I am around the world, regardless of political affiliation, nation, race, tongue, etc., that I have a home among Christians somewhere. Likewise, the only obstacle preventing corporate prayer is making others aware of my struggles. As others around the world become aware I can count on my brethren to share, empathize, show compassion, petition through prayer, and to console me and point me to our God of comfort.

In the thick of theological battle sometimes it is hard to see, because sometimes orthodoxy can be so cold when we contend for the truth. However, know that you're loved brother and one day, well, for me personally, I look forward to my departure from the world. I look forward to being with likeminded peoples of the Lord which glorify and enjoy Him forever. Though, I realize that this is so selfish on my part at times, I should struggle not only to overcome which builds me in faith, but because loved ones may need my presence here on earth. If I had no attachments whatsoever I might not suffer them and beg thee Lord to take me now, but I do love here therefore I gladly suffer life for mutual benefit. I realize that loving here and our relationships upon the earth only prepare us for the blessed relationship with the Lord in store for us. Love here, and you'll be that much further in love there in heaven.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

It's a long shot, but if anyone has ideas of economic places to stay in Seattle, I am interested.  I know there is corporate housing and AirB&B and such.  But spendy.  I've also heard people stay at RV parks. Better ideas?

• Like 1

Staff
10 hours ago, GaoLu said:

It's a long shot, but if anyone has ideas of economic places to stay in Seattle, I am interested.  I know there is corporate housing and AirB&B and such.  But spendy.  I've also heard people stay at RV parks. Better ideas?

I think you actually covered my first thoughts. If you have a van, camper etc., then the RV park may be an option. Here's one, have you considered contacting local churches around the area? Perhaps they'll address the congregation and ask for volunteers which may provide you a room during your needed stay? You have a network, a Christian network, maybe, just maybe, Christians will open their homes or pool their various resources in order to help you brother. If you need assistance in reaching out perhaps ask your deacons to contact them for you?

Our church has reached out to the congregation for similar needs. Even for University students which belong to the church that need summer places to remain in town.

Staff

Ya might check with the American Cancer society . We stayed at a  Kwinana club housing in Sacramento. The ACS paid the bill for 10 days. It was not fancy a room with a bath community kitchen . It was next to the hospital grounds. 

Most hospitals have financial counseling  Call and ask for patient relations .They did not have a number just the main hospital number 

(888) 862-2737.

WWW.VIRGINIAMASON.ORG

Virginia Mason offers many accommodations and amenities including The Inn at Virginia Mason hotel, Baroness Hotel, dining, child care, a gift shop...

• Informative 1