The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Solas

Why Hide it in My Heart, When I can 'Google it'?

Are we becoming Google sponges? Taking in everything Google dishes out without hiding and relying on God's Word and  the Holy Spirit for the needed wisdom sought?

Psalm 119:11 (KJV) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Sure it's quick and convenient to enter a fuzzy search and come up with a specific verse, but in the long run will it benefit us as we no longer see the need for Scripture memorization and reliance on God?...when in the back of our mind we ask 'why?', because we always have 'Google' at hand.  

• Like 1

Staff
11 hours ago, Solas said:

Are we becoming Google sponges? Taking in everything Google dishes out without hiding and relying on God's Word and  the Holy Spirit for the needed wisdom sought?

Psalm 119:11 (KJV) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Sure it's quick and convenient to enter a fuzzy search and come up with a specific verse, but in the long run will it benefit us as we no longer see the need for Scripture memorization and reliance on God?...when in the back of our mind we ask 'why?', because we always have 'Google' at hand.  

And Google's A.I. implementation acts as the Holy Spirit making phrase suggestions by interpreting your deepest "groanings".

Google, I feel an impulse:

http://bfy.tw/MSLA

Staff

A fun thing to do is search google then search the same thing on Duckduckgo .

• Yay 1

10 hours ago, William said:

Google, I feel an impulse:

http://bfy.tw/MSLA

Looks like that deck was stacked LOL.

Maybe Google took some cues from Emile Durkheim...

In The Division of Labour, Durkheim argued that in traditional/primitive societies (those based around clan, family or tribal relationships), totemic religion played an important role in uniting members through the creation of a common consciousness (conscience collective in the original French). In societies of this type, the contents of an individual's consciousness are largely shared in common with all other members of their society, creating a mechanical solidarity through mutual likeness.

The totality of beliefs and sentiments common to the average members of a society forms a determinate system with a life of its own. It can be termed the collective or creative consciousness.

— Emile Durkheim[7] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_consciousness

(Psa 23:1)  A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
(Psa 23:2)  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
(Psa 23:3)  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
(Psa 23:4)  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
(Psa 23:5)  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
(Psa 23:6)  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The New Millennial Version (NMV)

(Psa 23:1)  A Psalm of Page and Brin (to be sung by the masses). Google is your Guide; you shall not want.
(Psa 23:2)  It makes you to lie down in cyber pastures: it leads you besides muddy waters.
(Psa 23:3)  Google restores your lusts: it leads you in the paths of conformity for it's name's sake.
(Psa 23:4)  Yea, though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you will fear no loneliness: for Google is with you; it's algorithms and hits they comfort you.
(Psa 23:5)  Google prepares a feast of info before you in the presence of your 'followers': Google anoints your head with the oil of 'no thought'; your memory runs short.
(Psa 23:6)  Surely Google and Facebook shall follow you all the days of your life: but you will dwell in the 'search engine' of Google for ever.

Edited by Solas
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Becky said:

A fun thing to do is search google then search the same thing on Duckduckgo .

I'm glad the comparison wasn't between Google and Bing. lol

• Haha 1

Staff
17 hours ago, Solas said:

I'm glad the comparison wasn't between Google and Bing. lol

At one point Bing was checking its search results against Google. Bing's results were based on a factor of Google's placement taking the results into account.

I don't use either. I use DuckDuckGo and recommend them to everyone.