SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
nigerlinks

Introducing myself

nigerlinks

My name is Iyoha Sunday, am a Nigerian and also reside in Nigeria.

By the grace of God am born again in the year 2008 and was baptized in the holy ghost with the evidence of speaking in tung

I love reading Holiness materials and I also follow Holiness preachers seeing that it is a rear commodity in our days now. I also have a website dedicated to Holiness messages and free daily devotional guide and ebook for believer's.

Please forgive me i am unable to see the guide that will structure my introduction post.

sdjohn 864-2.jpg

• Like 1

William
Staff
14 minutes ago, nigerlinks said:

By the grace of God am born again in the year 2008 and was baptized in the holy ghost with the evidence of speaking in tung

Welcome Iyoha Sunday,

I've always wanted to ask someone online if they can write out the tongues here on this board. I don't know if I have the gift of translation and I won't know until I am subjected to real tongue speaking.

Ready when you are.

God bless,

William

deade

You are mistaken William if you think all tongues can be translated. Prophetic tongues will always be translated or they are not to take place (see 1 Cor. 14:13). We can also have a prayer tongue that the spirit can pray for things we know not about. Like an instance in the near future we will need strength for.  

1 Cor. 14:14 "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful." This should be reserved for our prayer closet (see 1 Cor. 14:15).

There could also be character flaws that the spirit might pray about, but would make us feel guilty to openly speak of them. That is Satan's area of expertise, the guilt trip.   :RpS_thumbup:

deade
4 hours ago, nigerlinks said:

My name is Iyoha Sunday, am a Nigerian and also reside in Nigeria.

Hello Iyoha, welcome to Christforums. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.  :RpS_thumbsup:

spacer.png

William
Staff
25 minutes ago, deade said:

You are mistaken William if you think all tongues can be translated. Prophetic tongues will always be translated or they are not to take place (see 1 Cor. 14:13). We can also have a prayer tongue that the spirit can pray for things we know not about. Like an instance in the near future we will need strength for.  

So the tongues which evidence baptism by the Holy Ghost are not translatable (see the OP)?

deade
1 hour ago, William said:

So the tongues which evidence baptism by the Holy Ghost are not translatable (see the OP)?

Most likely no, it would be prayer language. In some circles it is done openly.  :classic_smile:

William
Staff
10 minutes ago, deade said:

Most likely no, it would be prayer language. In some circles it is done openly.  

Then to evidence baptism by the Holy Spirit one only needs to speak gibberish aloud?

Seems more like a lesson in humility.

nigerlinks

Thanks to everyone. William I strongly believe that though some have the spirit to understand and interprets tongue but this is very scarce.

How ever mostly we don't understand the tongue but we can be familiar with our tongue and the holy spirit can put a deep meaning sometime in a believer while praying in tongue.

William
Staff
3 minutes ago, nigerlinks said:

How ever mostly we don't understand the tongue but we can be familiar with our tongue and the holy spirit can put a deep meaning sometime in a believer while praying in tongue.

That's why I called it gibberish.

I fail to see how being baptized by the Holy Spirit is evidenced by speaking gibberish. Evidence to who?

William
Staff
3 hours ago, deade said:

1 Cor. 14:14 "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful." This should be reserved for our prayer closet (see 1 Cor. 14:15).

There could also be character flaws that the spirit might pray about, but would make us feel guilty to openly speak of them. That is Satan's area of expertise, the guilt trip.   :RpS_thumbup:

Deade, do you think the unknown tongues in 1 Corinthians 14:14 is gibberish? And let me ask you too, are speaking in tongues evidence of baptism by the Holy Spirit? And if so, evidence to who?

Here's John Calvin on 1 Corinthians 14:14:

I answer, that Paul here, for the sake of illustration, makes a supposition, that had no reality, in this way: “If the gift of tongues be disjoined from the understanding, so that he who speaks is a barbarian to himself, as well as to others, what good would he do by babbling in this manner?” For it does not, appear that the mind is here said to be unfruitful, ( ἄκαρπον ) on the ground of no advantage accruing to the Church, inasmuch as Paul is here speaking of the private prayers of an individual. Let us therefore keep it in view, that things that are connected with each other are here disjoined for the sake of illustration — not on the ground that it either can, or usually does, so happen. The meaning is now obvious. “If, therefore, I frame prayers in a language that is not understood by me, and the spirit supplies me with words, the spirit indeed itself, which regulates my tongue, will in that case pray, but my mind will either be wandering somewhere else, or at least will have no part in the prayer.”

Let us take notice, that Paul reckons it a great fault if the mind is not occupied in prayer. And no wonder; for what else do we in prayer, but pour out our thoughts and desires before God? Farther, as prayer is the spiritual worship of God, what is more at variance with the nature of it, than that it should proceed merely from the lips, and not from the inmost soul? And these things must have been perfectly familiar to every mind, had not the devil besotted the world to such a degree, as to make men believe that they pray aright, when they merely make their lips move. So obstinate, too, are Papists in their madness, that they do not merely justify the making of prayers without understanding, but even prefer that the unlearned should mutter in unknown mumblings. (831) Meanwhile they mock God by an acute sophism (832) — that the final intention is enough, or, in other words, that it is an acceptable service to God, if a Spaniard curses God in the German language, while in his mind he is tossed with various profane cares, provided only he shall, by setting himself to his form of prayer, make up matters with God by means of a thought that quickly vanishes. (833)

Innerfire89

Hey, welcome to Christforums.

Innerfire89

I say this all in brotherly love.

The gifts of the spirit are all used toward or with other people, not the individual alone.

1Corinthians 12:7

7To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 

This is even more obvious when looking at all the other gifts.

Every example of prayer in the Bible is mentally active, when Paul says his mind is inactive when he prays in an unknown tounge he's giving the reason not to unless someone knows what's being said.

1Corinthians 14:14-15

14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.

God bless.

• Like 1

deade
15 hours ago, William said:

Deade, do you think the unknown tongues in 1 Corinthians 14:14 is gibberish? And let me ask you too, are speaking in tongues evidence of baptism by the Holy Spirit? And if so, evidence to who?

Fortunately, we do not have to prove to anyone what we feel God has given us. What anyone thinks about it is up to them. It is one way to ascertain we have the Holy Spirit, but not the only way. You will not ever observe me praying in tongues anyway, so it is a moot point.  :RpS_thumbup: 

Origen
33 minutes ago, deade said:

Fortunately, we do not have to prove to anyone what we feel God has given us

The cult follower's motto