The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Hello,
Although I've been a member on here for a little while, I don't believe I ever introduced myself properly. 

Some background:

I have worked in technology for the past 38 years, the last 22 of those as an engineer in both hardware and software engineering.

I've served in two branches of the US militray - US Navy and US Army National Guard. My volunteer life has included 5 years as a volunteer deputy and 11 years as a fireman/EMT and now 7 additional years as a Police Chaplain with the local Sheriff's Office. 

Recently, the Lord led me away from my full time job to pursue starting up a small engineering business as well as being the part-time pastor at a very rural church in Oregon. This is the most recent development - our full time pastor and his wife were called to another church in Washington a few months back. Now looking from where we are to how we got here, we are amazed at how God had already planned this whole thing way in advance.

So I sit here in the office as the Pastor where I once sat as an Elder. It's not something I woke up one day and aspired to being - I always thought I'd remain an engineer because that is the gifting and direction God lead me to all those years ago.
I can't say that I feel qualified to be a Pastor, as I never really have had scholastic papers or degrees or anything beyond being ordained by the church as a Elder; an office I also felt mostly unqualified to fill. However, one thing keeps my feet still and my rear-end affixed to  this chair - God. If I could convey everything that has taken place, everything from the smallest nuance to the larger events, all of it has led to this point, to this place, and to this time serving as the pastor for a very small congregation. 

So, in many ways, I feel very humbled and somewhat terrified. I know I'll make mistakes and I know from scripture that teachers are going to be held to a greater account. To that end, I have one simple ask of anyone reading this - please pray for this little church and the tiny community in which it stands. 

We've gone through splits and trials and various problems over the 19 years my family has lived and served here, but God has remained faithful and we continue to provide scriptural teaching and ministry to those who would fellowship with us.

So there it is - this small church can't afford a full time Pastor because there are only about 20 members still attending these days. I will keep bread on the table by God's grace. That will likely include keeping my hand in the small business while performing the duties of a Chaplain and Pastor. I never once imagined this would be where we'd end up, but I'm not going to complain one iota, because the God I serve also sent Paul to prison. So nope. Nooo complaints. No way. None. Ha.

God bless,
-Chaplain Carter

• Like 1

Staff

Welcome  Thank you for your post it is a heart smile 🙂

• Yay 1

Staff

Thanks for sharing a little more about you Chaplain Carter!

I've enjoyed our fellowship and I look forward to much more.

God bless,

William

• Yay 1

Thank you for sharing this Pastor Carter. I remember the first time someone called me Pastor, I felt humbled and even unworthy. Being a pastor is so awesome. I believe that as a pastor we serve Christ as a Shepard to the sheep He so dearly loves.

Pastor God bless you....now go back to preparing your sermon. 

• Like 1