The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Solas

By way of intro

Hello, by way of intro, I'll roughly follow William's outline above.

2. I came to faith in '74 at the age of 25, although I would say I was regenerated about 15 months before that. The Lord had taken me out of political anarchy, drugs, occult, Eastern Mysticism and all that yuck. My actual conversion story was quite long and unusual. (PM me if interested and I can give a link to a rough outline).

3. I have been involved in a Christian half-way home ministry, So. Baptist, Pentecostal, non denom (Calvary Chapels) Reformed Baptist 1689, Missouri, WELS, ELS, Mid Acts Dispensational and Dispensational. But through it all I have appreciated the stress on God's Word being inerrant and having the last say on things Scripture touches on.

4. Since my conversion, peace floods my soul concerning things eternal, rest in His finished work, confidence in God and not self.

5. I'm weak on 'good works' but strong on the fruit e.g. patience, peace, long suffering, kind etc.

6. I like to help young Christians get established in the fundamentals of the faith, I'm a dunce when it comes to  higher forms of Western Theological/Philosophical hoopla aka Critical Biblical Scholarship.

7.Whatever we find ourselves doing it should be as to the Lord, especially our devotion in Bible Study,Prayer, pondering His precepts etc.

8. I like Martyn Lloyd Jones, Spurgeon , Francis Schaeffer and Luther amongst others.

9. My opposition usually comes at me through doctrine. I am a bit short on patience though when it comes to 'theological liberals' as their attack is on God by their attack on His Word.

10. The best advice I have heard for forums (sometimes it's hard to keep in heated scenarios) is  'debate the subject not the person'.

-richard

• Like 4

Hello Richard, welcome to Christforums. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.    :RpS_thumbup:

spacer.png

• Yay 1

Staff

Hello and welcome Solas

1 hour ago, Solas said:

Francis Schaeffer

:RpS_thumbup:

• Like 1

Staff
7 hours ago, Solas said:

10. The best advice I have heard for forums (sometimes it's hard to keep in heated scenarios) is  'debate the subject not the person'.

Profound. Separate your emotion from the topic and subject at hand. When someone is attempting to provoke your emotion to the point that you are having difficulty staying on topic then report that post to staff.

In true debate the real opposition is falsehood and our goal in debate is to bring everyone to the truth. That includes not only our audience but also the person debating us.

Welcome Richard!

God bless,

William

• Informative 1