Jump to content

The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
davidtaylorjr

United Methodist Special Conference

Recommended Posts

The UMC Special General Conference on LGBTQ is this week from Feb 23-26. One of the things that are coming up for vote is the "trust clause." The trust clause essentially states that even though the church (local) holds the deed to their property, if they try to leave the denomination the denomination gets the property.  It is being weaponized these days holding churches captive.

 

There are 5 petitions that will be considered that will relax the trust clause allowing traditional churches to exit the denomination without penalty.

  • Praying 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

LGBTQ a vote/discussion? What do the Scriptures say?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Becky said:

What do the Scriptures say?

 

Hath God said...? (Genesis 3:1)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Becky said:

LGBTQ a vote/discussion? What do the Scriptures say?

I think you miss the point.

1 hour ago, Faber said:

 

Hath God said...? (Genesis 3:1)

Obviously, the Scriptures say no. What my prayer request is more about is that the trust clause gets relaxed or removed to give Bible-believing churches a way out without losing their church and/or having a huge legal battle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Don't you think that they should forfeit the church building and property seeing that they no longer uphold what the denomination teaches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Faber said:

 Don't you think that they should forfeit the church building and property seeing that they no longer uphold what the denomination teaches?

No, I don't. The local church buys the property, upkeeps the property, holds the deed to the property. If they decide to leave the denomination they should keep their own property. OR, if the denomination makes them give up the property, the denomination should buy the property.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Faber said:

 Don't you think that they should forfeit the church building and property seeing that they no longer uphold what the denomination teaches?

There is also the issue of if the denomination suddenly changes what it teaches, should they not be given a free way out for conscience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The General Conference passed what is called the Traditional Plan which strengthens language against LGBT and also puts in enforcement to these policies that was not being followed before. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
40 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

The General Conference passed what is called the Traditional Plan which strengthens language against LGBT and also puts in enforcement to these policies that was not being followed before. 

I was just reading about it this morning.  Excellent news!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Origen Albert Mohler mused this morning on the briefing if this could turn out to be the start of a transformation like the Southern Baptists had in the late '80s early '90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
48 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

@Origen Albert Mohler mused this morning on the briefing if this could turn out to be the start of a transformation like the Southern Baptists had in the late '80s early '90s.

We can pray.  (NIV) "Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel--all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and whose mouths have not kissed him." 1 Kings 19:18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
On 2/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, davidtaylorjr said:

There is also the issue of if the denomination suddenly changes what it teaches, should they not be given a free way out for conscience?

What about the LGBT~Q supporters? Should enough of them gather together and decide to leave should they have the option of taking church property?

 

5 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

The General Conference passed what is called the Traditional Plan which strengthens language against LGBT and also puts in enforcement to these policies that was not being followed before. 

Strengthen language? Like not calling homosexuals and sodomites "Gay"? Could you provide an example or post a reference?

 

1 hour ago, Origen said:

We can pray.  (NIV) "Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel--all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and whose mouths have not kissed him." 1 Kings 19:18

That's what Scripture "says", though I'm a little confused what reserving seven thousand in Israel has to do with the Baptist denomination? Clearly, the Baptist reject any notion that the church is Israel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, William said:

What about the LGBT~Q supporters? Should enough of them gather together and decide to leave should they have the option of taking church property?

Yes, if they leave I think they should also keep their property that they paid for, that they upkeep. 

5 minutes ago, William said:

Strengthen language? Like not calling homosexuals and sodomites "Gay"? Could you provide an example or post a reference?

For example, the current discipline only says you are a self-avowed homosexual if you tell a Bishop, District Superintendant, etc.

Now, after yesterday, it will add, or are living with a same-sex partner, married to a same-sex partner, openly practicing homosexual lifestyles, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
35 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Yes, if they leave I think they should also keep their property that they paid for, that they upkeep. 

For example, the current discipline only says you are a self-avowed homosexual if you tell a Bishop, District Superintendant, etc.

Now, after yesterday, it will add, or are living with a same-sex partner, married to a same-sex partner, openly practicing homosexual lifestyles, etc.

 

 

So in other words Liberal infiltration and popularity can gain the church?

 

A slippery slope from my observation over the years begins when people differentiate between homosexual desire and living or practicing the Sodomite lifestyle. If a person is single and has homosexual desires but does not act upon them are they qualified to be a Pastor, elder, etc? Are women qualified also? And if a man identifies as a woman and women are qualified is "it" qualified too?

 

Sounds to me like the Methodist favor Bill Clinton's don't ask don't tell policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, William said:

A slippery slope from my observation over the years begins when people begin to differentiate between homosexual desire and living or practicing the Sodomite lifestyle.

How is that a slippery slope? Homosexuality is sin just like every other sin. Are you ever tempted with the desire to sin? Would that disqualify you if you do not act on it?

2 minutes ago, William said:

And if a man identifies as a woman and women are qualified is "it" qualified too?

No, that is sin and it was also rejected yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
Just now, davidtaylorjr said:

How is that a slippery slope? Homosexuality is sin just like every other sin. Are you ever tempted with the desire to sin? Would that disqualify you if you do not act on it?

Please do argue for their side.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
4 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

???

I suggest rereading Timothy 3 and then reframing the qualification for Pastors etc.

 

A homosexual desires same sex relationships and remains single. Should they be qualified as a Pastor?

 

When they slip or backslide into sin (perhaps for lack of helpmeet or they burn in passion) is the argument and defense then going to be that Christians are not sinless? Ah, yes, so many will side with the homosexual that fell into a moment of sodomy and then the church will divide, and as you stated the majority should have a clear path for conscience to leave. After all the church is like an investment where one has stock in it. Now that's true sarcasm!

 

steve carell sarcasm GIF

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, William said:

A homosexual desires same sex relationships and remains single. Should they be qualified as a Pastor?

I think you are actually taking this further than the argument I suggest. When I say desire I mean temptation. You seem to be talking about actual lust which is different. If there is intentional same-sex lust, not just temptation, then that person is not qualified. You take it to an extreme which is not helpful to the conversation. Because, in all seriousness, by your standard, nobody would be qualified. 


And further, I was not speaking to the qualifications of a pastor. I was speaking directly to your assertion that it is a slippery slope to differentiate between attraction and lifestyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
23 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

I think you are actually taking this further than the argument I suggest. When I say desire I mean temptation. You seem to be talking about actual lust which is different. If there is intentional same-sex lust, not just temptation, then that person is not qualified. You take it to an extreme which is not helpful to the conversation. Because, in all seriousness, by your standard, nobody would be qualified. 


And further, I was not speaking to the qualifications of a pastor. I was speaking directly to your assertion that it is a slippery slope to differentiate between attraction and lifestyle.

I rest my case.

 

I apologize for using such a strong language.

23 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Because, in all seriousness, by your standard, nobody would be qualified. 

Nobody or only men you know? Perhaps it would be best for women to lead the Methodist church?

 

And by my standard?

 

seth meyers wow GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, William said:

I rest my case.

 

I apologize for using such a strong language.

You rest your case? You haven't even addressed anything I have actually said, just gone off on rampages on topics I did not even discuss in my post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
1 hour ago, William said:

That's what Scripture "says", though I'm a little confused what reserving seven thousand in Israel has to do with the Baptist denomination? Clearly, the Baptist reject any notion that the church is Israel.

I was using it as an analogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
16 minutes ago, Origen said:

I was using it as an analogy.

I like analogies. We should have Analogy Tuesdays following Sarcasm Mondays.

 

I imagined true Israel and the Baptists in dialogue in 2 Samuel 19:22:

 

And David said, What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah, that you should this day be adversaries to me? shall there any man be put to death this day in Israel? for do not I know that I am this day king over Israel?

 

I often think of this verse whenever someone is "brown nosing" or "placating" another.

 

I think the Methodist too are only placating the opposition and have not fixed the root cause of departure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
16 minutes ago, William said:

I think the Methodist too are only placating the opposition and have not fixed the root cause of departure.

There is a point to be made for that.  There is also the good news that they did not cave but affirmed a scriptural truth.

meh nathan w pyle GIF by Threadless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...