The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Origen

See An Original King James Bible (1611)

Staff

Staff

Looks like a rip off of the Geneva with far less margin notes. 

Compare with an actual page of the 1599 Geneva Bible.

Geneva.JPG.82848287a7b2cdc7e05dcdbf6b579ad5.JPG

• Haha 1

Staff

Want margin notes in a Bible ? I have this Scofield.:) 

• Angry 1

Staff
23 minutes ago, Becky said:

Want margin notes in a Bible ? I have this Scofield.:) 

Not those margin notes.

Burn the Scofield heretics!

the simpsons burn GIF

• Toast 1

Staff
6 hours ago, GaoLu said:

Please don't burn my mother!  She is still learning.

Amen i know many like your Mom   :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Staff

As far as I am aware anti-heresy laws did not result in condemnation for misunderstandings. The laws did wonders, however, for putting a stop to false teaching in evangelism.

Hey look, a pile of Scofield Bibles!

fahrenheit 451 film GIF

Staff

Hitch has the very old Scofield that was our grandpa's. 

I have a Reformation Study Bible that talks about Infant Baptism....

@William @Becky

And of course what is the point of me saying this? Well, one, to take a cheap jab. Two, to show that study Bibles of all views have good things and things that are not found in Scripture.  But I don't slam the Reformation Study Bible. In fact, it is my primary study Bible.

Staff
2 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

I have a Reformation Study Bible that talks about Infant Baptism....

@William @Becky

And of course what is the point of me saying this? Well, one, to take a cheap jab. Two, to show that study Bibles of all views have good things and things that are not found in Scripture.  But I don't slam the Reformation Study Bible. In fact, it is my primary study Bible.

I feel compelled to offer you a tissue.

sad cry GIF by Originals

• Toast 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, William said:

Not those margin notes.

Burn the Scofield heretics!

Why do you object to the Scofield Bible?  I got a Scofield Bible soon after I was saved and studying it helped me a lot.  The only thing I find objectionable is that it advocates the gap theory, but when I used it I believed the gap theory so that wasn't a problem for me.

Staff
39 minutes ago, theophilus said:

Why do you object to the Scofield Bible?  I got a Scofield Bible soon after I was saved and studying it helped me a lot.  The only thing I find objectionable is that it advocates the gap theory, but when I used it I believed the gap theory so that wasn't a problem for me.

Because it advocates objectionable theology.

Most of what is wrong with American Christianity has roots in the Scofield Study Bible.

The Scofield Study Bible, let alone the KJV were both serious departures from classical Reformed Protestant theology.

Having mentioned the Gap Theory, Theo, that should raise red flags and bring to question the methods and principles of interpretation the Scofield study bible is utilizing (eisegesis). The KJV was influenced by the politics of its day and likewise, it comes as no surprise to me that the Gap Theory is shoe horned in the Scofield study bible and contains an appeal to another outside source of authority (science) by which to be influenced.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Staff

@theophilus  I grew up under Scofield. Family still has one of the older releases I believe it is the 1909 version. I have Dad's 1967 which is a most treasured keepsake. A few personal disagreements:  These are quotes.  

SCOFIELD SAYS THE COVENANT WAS UNCONDITIONAL. “For Abraham and his descendants it is evident that the Abrahamic Covenant made a great change. They became distinctively the heirs of the promise. That covenant is wholly gracious and unconditional. The descendants of Abraham had but to abide in their own land to inherit every blessing. In Egypt they lost their blessings, but not their covenant. The dispensation must be distinguished from the covenant. The former is a mode of testing: the latter is everlasting because unconditional. The law did not abrogate the Abrahamic Covenant, but was an intermediate disciplinary dealing till the seed should come to whom the promise was made.” Sco. Ref. Bible, page 20, note 1. (See also Sco. note, page 25) GOD SAYS THE COVENANT WAS CONDITIONAL “And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou and thy seed after thee, in their generations. And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.” Gen. 17:9, 14. “For I know him that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment: that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.” Gen. 18:19. THE COVENANT WAS CONFIRMED TO ISAAC BECAUSE OF ABRAHAM’S OBEDIENCE. “And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and I will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; Because that Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes and my laws.” Gen. 26:4, 5. GOD’S WARNING TO ISRAEL THAT THE COVENANT WAS CONDITIONAL. “If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers...if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled...Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.” Lev. 26:40-42. (Note Scofield’s contradictory paragraphical heading.)“Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the Lord thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers.” Deut. 7:12.

7. KINGDOM In Eph. 1:10, where we read, “the dispensation of the fulness of times.” Scofield refers to his note of explanation of these words. This is note 3 on page 1250 of the Sco. Ref. Bible. He calls this “dispensation of the fulness of times” “the kingdom” or “the seventh and last of the ordered ages”...”identical with the kingdom covenanted to David” or as he elsewhere states repeatedly that this is the time when Christ will restore the Davidic monarchy and reign one thousand years. He refers to 17 portions of Scripture from both Old and New Testaments to inform us that after this present period of grace is closed, the kingdom which was “offered” to the Jews at Christ’s first advent, and “withdrawn” and “postponed” because the Jews rejected it, will be reoffered, accepted and set up in a coming millennium upon this earth. But Eph. 1:10 refers to a climax, or a maturity of the times when God will unify all things and head them up and consummate them in Christ. These will be things in heaven and on the earth. (See Amplified N. T.) This can be nothing short of eternal and not for a thousand years. Further, all the scriptures concerning the kingdom never teach a coming millennial kingdom, but a kingdom now present and eternal. In further studies we shall prove the fallacy and danger of the Scofield view, but we call the reader’s attention to the following portions of Scripture to prove that the kingdom, though rejected by many in Israel, was not the restoration of the Davidic monarchy and was never withdrawn or postponed. “But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God.” Acts 8:12. “...and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.” Acts 14:22. “...disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.” Acts 19:8. “... Among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God.” Acts 20:25. “...to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God.” Acts 28:23. “Preaching the kingdom of God.” Acts 28:31. “...my fellow-workers unto the kingdom of God.” Col. 4:11 “...and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom.” II Tim. 4:18. “...your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ...” Rev. 1:9.

THE PARABLE OF THE TARES AND WHEAT! Commenting on the parable of the tares and wheat, Scofield says “at the end of the age the tares are set apart for burning, but first the wheat is gathered into the barn.” Here again, Scofield, by inference, injects his dispensationalism by twisting the very words of Jesus to an opposite meaning. Jesus said, “Gather ye together first the tares,” but Scofield says “first the wheat is gathered.” We wonder how such daring contradictions can come from the pen of one who claims to be a minister of Jesus Christ. We wonder too, how such remarks can be printed almost side by side with the words of our Lord

Paul E Sisco

Staff

'The doctrines of grace are to be sought in the Epistles ,not in the Gospels'

SRB p 989 1909 edition