The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
johnwayne

Is atheism Asian religion ?

Is atheism a Asian religion?

because according to statistics, 76% atheists reside in Asia.

china hosts largest atheist population. 

In terms of China I wonder if they are the largest in terms of numbers because they have roughly 1.3 billion people. I heard that they might even have the largest numbers of Christians as well. No sure way to know I guess for some/many attend underground churches.

Staff

Mar_16:15  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 4:59 AM, johnwayne said:

Is atheism a Asian religion?

because according to statistics, 76% atheists reside in Asia.

china hosts largest atheist population. 

From my understanding, Buddhism does not incorprate a 'god' but is more of a philosophy. So coming from that angle, (of many are Buddhists) they may be counting Asian Buddhists as atheists, which I wouldn't necessarily do so.

Staff

Buddhism is usually under religion rather than atheism in statistical surveys. For example,

WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Though Christians make up nearly a third of Earth’s 7.3 billion people, the number of Christians in Europe is in decline.

If one says Buddhism is not a religion and that it better falls under atheism then I must ask for them to define religion.

For example, ask most what are the indicators of a religious person. Some might say they pray, worship, follow a moral discipline etc. Buddhist fall under a religious identity by those traits.

48 minutes ago, William said:

Buddhism is usually under religion rather than atheism in statistical surveys. For example,

WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Though Christians make up nearly a third of Earth’s 7.3 billion people, the number of Christians in Europe is in decline.

If one says Buddhism is not a religions that it better falls under atheism then I must ask for them to define religion.

For example, ask most what are the indicators of a religious person. Some might say they pray, worship, follow a moral discipline etc. Buddhist fall under a religious identity by those traits.

Interesting. Maybe it is the term 'atheism' which needs defining. If we define it as a-theist 'without-god' or 'no-god', then Buddhists would fit the bill.

Would the real atheistic Buddhist please stand up? lol

Would one say 'atheists' are religious? I like to think so when I ask them their view of the afterlife.

Would one say atheists believe in a god? ...perhaps,.. themselves.

Edited by Solas
  • Like 1

Staff
23 minutes ago, Solas said:

Would one say atheists believe in a god? ...perhaps,.. themselves.

I actually took interest in Buddhism for a short time before becoming Christian. I wanted to explore my ancestry and cultural religion.

Perhaps, this is what was meant when Buddha was asked by a man whether he is a god? Buddha's reply, "I am awake".

Given the answer, the man which questioned was not a Christian. I can't imagine that any Christian would let such response go without at least more clarification.

Yes, I dabbled in Hinduism, Zen Buddhism and Taoism myself in my BC days. If God was anything, God was everything...supposedly making God unfathomable.

Posted (edited)

I am part Japanese, but I have been a believer in Jesus since I was a little kid. I was born in the United States however. 

Edit: And I mean that I believe in Jesus as the One, True and only God.

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1