Jump to content

The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
C.Jord

Gratitude

Recommended Posts

'And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea:

who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica,

in that they received the word with all readiness of mind,

and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.'
(Act 17:10-11) 

 

Hello there,

 

It was only when I found myself under attack on a forum, several years ago, and accused of being a 'Dispy', that the term dispensationalist dawned on my consciousness. Looking it up online I was dismayed by what I read concerning the various forms of it.  However I did find the precise category that I came under. which had been termed, 'hyperdispensationalist'.  For it was under that epithet that Dr E.W. Bullinger and Mr Charles Welch were placed by their traducers. Their ministry had been the source of much of my teaching. and for whom I felt, and still do feel, a dept of gratitude.  They were 'Bereans' in the true sense of the term, who searched the Scriptures, and weighed in the balances all that tradition had imposed upon the Word of God. 

 

I am not interested in the terminology imposed upon them or myself by others, for I do not acknowledge it. My desire is to know Christ and be found 'in Him'. The principles that governed the teaching I received, was that of 2 Timothy 2:15 and Acts 17:11 (above),  which has been of immense value to me:-

 

'Study to shew thyself approved unto God,

a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,

rightly dividing the word of truth.'

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris

 

WWW.BEREANONLINE.ORG

We make Bible study easier via books and tapes

 

 

Edited by C.Jord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

Are you of  the understanding the Gospels do not hold teaching for the Church? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, Becky said:

Are you of  the understanding the Gospels do not hold teaching for the Church? 

Hello @Becky,

 

Forgive me, I have only now seen your response..

I believe that all Scripture is profitable to us, but that not all Scripture is 'about' us.

 

Thank you.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by C.Jord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

Thank you for the reply. It speaks volumes 🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 3:13 PM, Becky said:

Thank you for the reply. It speaks volumes 🙂  

Does it,@Becky?  In what way?

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris 

Edited by C.Jord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
3 hours ago, C.Jord said:

Does it,@Becky?  In what way?

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris 

Some read the Scriptures and center on "I, me, and myself" making the Scriptures all "about" them. Some attempt to extract from the Scriptures works righteousness, authority, power, etc. This is the main difference between the Jews in John 5:39-40 and other Jews the Bereans in Acts 17:11. Both of them searched the Scriptures which in itself on the surface seems noble, however, for all intents and purposes had drawn condemnation towards the contextual audience or Jews in John 5 and honorable mention towards other Jews which were the Bereans in Acts 17. 

 

It is good to understand who the Scriptures are "about" who they were or are written "to" and "for".

 

For example, Scriptures are written "about" God "to" the Elect, which were and are "for" the faithful remnant of Israel the Church and her members.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, William said:

Some read the Scriptures and center on "I, me, and myself" making the Scriptures all "about" them. Some attempt to extract from the Scriptures works righteousness, authority, power, etc. This is the main difference between the Jews in John 5:39-40 and other Jews the Bereans in Acts 17:11. Both of them searched the Scriptures which in itself on the surface seems noble, however, for all intents and purposes had drawn condemnation towards the contextual audience or Jews in John 5 and honorable mention towards other Jews which were the Bereans in Acts 17. 

 

It is good to understand who the Scriptures are "about" who they were or are written "to" and "for".

 

For example, Scriptures are written "about" God "to" the Elect, which were and are "for" the faithful remnant of Israel the Church and her members.

 

'Thus saith the LORD,

"Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,

neither let the mighty man glory in his might,

let not the rich man glory in his riches:
But let him that glorieth glory in this,

that he understandeth and knoweth Me,

that I am the LORD

which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:

for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.'

(Jeremiah 9:23-24) 


(Jeremiah 9:23-24) 

Hello @William,

 

I agree with what you have said, but the last line is a little unclear. Scripture is about God, the desire being that we should 'know' Him as Jeremiah 9:23-24 states.  You mention 'the Elect', 'the remnant of Israel',  and 'The Church and her members', However you must also agree, that not all Scripture applies to each of these companies at the same time.  The address on the envelope determines to whom the words of any part of Scripture is addressed. 

 

Thank you for treating my entry respectfully and not being dismissive as the former responder.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by C.Jord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
13 minutes ago, C.Jord said:

You mention 'the Elect', 'the remnant of Israel',  and 'The Church and her members', However you must also agree, that not all Scripture applies to each of these companies at the same time.  The address on the envelope determines to whom the words of any part of Scripture is addressed. 

Nope, I believe the Elect, Israel, and the Church are one in the same body though not everyone in the church are Elect as not everyone in Israel were either.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, William said:

Nope, I believe the Elect, Israel, and the Church are one in the same body though not everyone in the church are Elect as not everyone in Israel were either.

Hello @William,

 

Thank you for responding once again.  So you believe that the Church is Israel as a nation, to whom much of the Old Testament is concerning?  That the believing remnant is the same as the Church which is His (Christ's) Body, the fulness that filleth all in all? That they all have the same inheritance, and the same blessings attributed to them, without distinction?

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by C.Jord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
18 minutes ago, C.Jord said:

Hello William,

 

Thank you for responding once again.  So you believe that the Church is Israel as a nation, to whom much of the Old Testament is concerning?  That the believing remnant is the same as the Church which is His (Christ's) Body, the fulness that filleth all in all? That they all have the same inheritance, and the same blessings attributed to them, without distinction?

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris

No, I believe the biblical nation of Israel was a type and shadow of the Church. The tree in Romans 11 expands the covenantal divide. The tree consists of faithful OT saints and faithful saints of the NT which are Jews and grafted Gentiles. They are one tree, not two trees, or a tree that replaced the former. Those that have rejected the Son of God are branches removed from the tree. The promises to Israel were expanded upon and the church expands the entire globe and are not limited to only some lines drawn in the sand by the U.N. in the 1940s.

 

This is a major difference between Covenant and Dispensational theology. If you're dispensational we won't agree as to the identity of the Church.

 

True Israel/Church consists of the Elect from all tribes, tongues, and nations and is not limited to the nation of modern day Israel. However, modern Israel does consist of a faithful remnant which belong to the Church of Christ, but to emphasize Christ's Church/Israel is not limited geographically or by blood (peoples) to a modern nation named after Israel.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, William said:

No, I believe the biblical nation of Israel was a type and shadow of the Church. The tree in Romans 11 expands the covenantal divide. The promises to Israel were expanded upon and the church expands the entire globe and is not limited to only some lines drawn in the sand by the U.N. in the 1940s.

 

This is the major difference between Covenant and Dispensational theology.

 

True Israel/Church consists of the Elect from all tribes, tongues, and nations and is not limited to the nation of modern day Israel.

 

Hello @William,

 

Thank you for clarifying your belief.  I differ with you on this.

 

In Christ Jesus

Chris  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...