The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Goth Explorer

Abortion and mental health

Many years ago I met a man who recalled a conversation he once had with someone who worked in a nursing home for women recovering from a nervous breakdown.

He did not say that every woman there had been raped.

He did not say that every woman there had been in an abusive relationship.

He did not say that every woman there had suffered from cancer.

He did say that every woman there had had an abortion.

Staff

Abortion is not an unforgivable sin. 

Mar 3:28  Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: 
anointed my feet with ointment. 
Luk 7:47  Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 
Luk 7:48  And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 
Act_8:22  Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. 
Col 2:12  Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 
Col 2:13  And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 

• Love 1

Staff
8 minutes ago, Goth Explorer said:

I'm not sure if that is government policy in too many countries.

I do not see your connect @Goth Explorer,, Rephrase please? 

19 hours ago, Becky said:

I do not see your connect @Goth Explorer,, Rephrase please? 

I was commenting on what you said without judging you at all.  I was judging the governments of countries which tolerate abortion.

I agree that abortion can be forgiven, but I am not sure whether or not women who suffer mental anguish following abortion are driven by a sense of guilt.  Some of them may be driven by a sense of loss, which is not quite the same thing.  You may be right though.

Staff
1 minute ago, Goth Explorer said:

I was commenting on what you said without judging you at all

I did not think you were judging me .. I simply did/do not understand your post. 

2 minutes ago, Goth Explorer said:

I was judging the governments of countries which tolerate abortion.

Me too. 

3 minutes ago, Goth Explorer said:

I agree that abortion can be forgiven, but I am not sure whether or not women who suffer mental anguish following abortion are driven by a sense of guilt.  Some of them may be driven by a sense of loss, which is not quite the same thing. 

Agreed 🙂

5 hours ago, Goth Explorer said:

I agree that abortion can be forgiven, but I am not sure whether or not women who suffer mental anguish following abortion are driven by a sense of guilt.  Some of them may be driven by a sense of loss, which is not quite the same thing. 

What are they mourning the loss of? If they did not want it, why do they feel a loss if it is not guilt because of what they have done?

Staff

One of the tactics the Left follows is reminiscent of all unbelievers. In a vulnerable moment whether anger or some other emotion they whisper in your ear that you are justified for a depraved feeling or cause. In essence they appeal to the natural man's desires. The mind reasons what the heart desires. 

Edifying another should be building up according to a standard. The Left lacks an absolute standard. 

• Like 1

I have worked in a Pregnancy Help Center about twenty four years ago. I saw women who were constantly returning to see if they were pregnant. For the most part many were in immoral lifestyles, but for some they were married, poor and with several children. Coming to the help center was the last step before going for an abortion. I can't tell you how many decided to go and get an abortion, but I know a lot of women accepted help to keep that unborn child. I saw the pain when a woman found she was pregnant as she wept in deep remorse. Once in a while we were told of forced sex and abuse and rape. Rape has to be the most difficult of all situations for a woman who is pregnant as a result of the rape.

In one church where I was pastor I had a married woman come to my office and she was full of grief and depression. Her story was before she married her husband while in college she was involved sexually with a young guy and got pregnant, and had an abortion. He husband knows all about it. But she was so full of remorse and guilt that she was scared to face God and the punishment she knew she faced in Gods judgement.  I can't recall having seen  a person with such deep self-disgust and anger as well of fear of Gods punishment awaiting her for murdering her child. Believe me when I say so sorry for her sin. She was sure this was something God would never forgive her of aborting her baby.

Do you have any idea how Gods love can reach out and heal severely damaged sin sick soul. Yes there is forgiveness of any sin, with repentance and confession, Jesus can wash our sin wounded life, and forgive our sin. To watch the healing a person so burdened, bruised and broken down, is what Jesus is able to do. I learned that Jesus forgives all sin the same way. 1 John 1:9. Yes even murder can be forgiven, and when you reach heaven look about and when you see David just ask him.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

What are they mourning the loss of? If they did not want it, why do they feel a loss if it is not guilt because of what they have done?

I will admit that it is a while now since I last read or heard the testimony of an abortion survivor, and so maybe I should reserve comment on this one.

The previous post is worth reading though.

Edited by Goth Explorer

Staff
3 hours ago, Goth Explorer said:

I will admit that it is a while now since I last read or heard the testimony of an abortion survivor, and so maybe I should reserve comment on this one.

The previous post is worth reading though.

I heard testimony from a woman that said while she was growing up the most difficult thing to cope with was the Roe V Wade narrative points. She said, I was born in a broken relationship. My mother was not married, she was single and on welfare and we lived in a trailer. She stated the most difficult thing she coped with was hearing other people say she was a societal burden and she'd be better off murdered.

People can put their face to a story or narrative.