The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Trevor

Should a Christian ever take an oath?

Hi Faber,

1 hour ago, Faber said:

No matter what passage you quote from the Bible wouldn't that have to come from a biblical author who could, like Paul (in your view), be wrong?

Just because someone isn't perfect, doesn't mean they are not or were not inspired by God to do something (2 Timothy 3:16). I have had many people help me that were inspired by God's Holy Spirit, but that doesn't mean they are perfect or even gave perfect advice, but they were inspired by the love of God's Spirit to try and help. Jesus is the only one perfect and infallible which is consistent with the Bible. 

In peace and Christian love,

Trevor

Staff
22 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Just because someone isn't perfect, doesn't mean they are not or were not inspired by God to do something (2 Timothy 3:16).

Paul wrote that.  Paul could go against the Holy Spirit therefore there is no reason to trust and/or accept what that verse states.

Take your theology to its logical conclusion.  According to you the guidance of the Holy Spirit is no guarantee against error.

Hi William,

Thank you for taking the time to share that download of systematic theology with me. I will take a look at it when I get a chance.

But one thought I have is, who would be the best person to provide systematic theology? Christ who is the "author and finisher" of the Christian faith or someone else.

Surprisingly, according to Jesus theology wasn't very high up on his list. You can see that when he told someone astute in the traditions of his religion (i.e. theology) to go be like a Samaritan, who went out of his way and gave what he had to care for the victim who needed help (Luke 10:25-37).

That is the kind of Kingdom I want to work in and the King I want to serve.

Trevor

Staff
17 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Hi William,

Thank you for taking the time to share that download of systematic theology with me. I will take a look at it when I get a chance.

But one thought I have is, who would be the best person to provide systematic theology? Christ who is the "author and finisher" of the Christian faith or someone else.

Surprisingly, according to Jesus theology wasn't very high up on his list. You can see that when he told someone astute in the traditions of his religion (i.e. theology) to go be like a Samaritan, who went out of his way and gave what he had to care for the victim who needed help (Luke 10:25-37).

That is the kind of Kingdom I want to work in and the King I want to serve.

Trevor

Do you even know what Systematic Theology is? Do you know what theology is? You mention religion. What's the difference between religion and theology?

I have no idea why you're quoting Luke, according to you and your logic, Luke could have, as Origen has made the case, erred.

Staff

Trevor am i understanding you. You only believe the Words of Jesus are God's Word? 

Staff
3 minutes ago, William said:

I have no idea why you're quoting Luke, according to you he could as Origen has made the case, erred.

@Trevor take your theology to its logical conclusion.  According to you the guidance of the Holy Spirit is no guarantee against error.

Staff
10 minutes ago, Becky said:

Trevor am i understanding you. You only believe the Words of Jesus are God's Word? 

WWW.GOTQUESTIONS.ORG

What are Red Letter Christians? How should faith in Christ impact a person's politics?

The second problem involves the group’s piecemeal approach to Scripture. To concentrate on certain parts of the Bible to the exclusion of others is unbalanced and dangerous. “All Scripture is God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16). The Epistles, for example, were written to instruct us on the practical outworking of Jesus’ teaching and are just as inspired as Jesus’ own words. Paul’s words should not be considered inferior, as the term “Red Letter Christians” implies.

I think that verse in James is good to take to heart - it has little to do with making oaths as it does on by which the oaths are declared.

e.g. "I swear by the gates of Tripoli"  or "I swear on my mother's grave" or "I swear by the giant poobear downtown by the bus stop..."

This is a kind of idolatry which is spoken against in other scriptural passages. 

More, God expects us to keep our oaths and the exhortation here I believe is for us to be very sober minded and be men and women of our word. 

So when you say, "yes," mean it. When you say "no" mean it. Don't waffle.

Don't become situational Christians.