The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
solasola5

Interesting Prophecy of Christ:

Let us lie in wait for the righteous one, because he is annoying to us; he opposes our actions, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the Lord . To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, Because his life is not like that of others, and different are his ways. He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the righteous and boasts that God is his Father. Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him in the end. For if the righteous one is the son of God, God will help him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. With violence and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him.” These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them,

2:12-21

• Like 1

Staff
8 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

Let us lie in wait for the righteous one, because he is annoying to us; he opposes our actions, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the Lord . To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, Because his life is not like that of others, and different are his ways. He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the righteous and boasts that God is his Father. Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him in the end. For if the righteous one is the son of God, God will help him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. With violence and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him.” These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them,

2:12-21

Welcome to CF Solasola5!

Reminds me of the theme in Psalm 2. The wicked conspire against the Lord and His Anointed but God has them in derision, laughing at them from Heaven.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, William said:

Welcome to CF Solasola5!

Reminds me of the theme in Psalm 2. The wicked conspire against the Lord and His Anointed but God has them in derision, laughing at them from Heaven.

Thanks! I like the part about a shameful death, because that is without a doubt a prophecy of the crucifixion written 50 years before Christ in the book of Wisdom!

Staff
1 minute ago, solasola5 said:

Thanks! I like the part about a shameful death, because that is without a doubt a prophecy of the crucifixion written 50 years before Christ in the book of Wisdom!

Never spent much time in the Apocrypha.

Have considered revisiting it as additional extra-biblical writings but haven't dedicated a schedule to it.

Thanks for sharing!

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, William said:

Never spent much time in the Apocrypha.

Have considered revisiting it as additional extra-biblical writings but haven't dedicated a schedule to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow! This is a much more civil forum than raptureforums! If I had posted the apocrypha they would have said that I'm going to hear the words "depart, you never knew me" and that the book of wisdom was really written during the council of Trent and then block me.

Staff

LOL I lasted less than two days at rapture forums 

• Haha 1

Staff
4 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

Wow! This is a much more civil forum than raptureforums!

You caught us on one of our good days.🤣

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Becky said:

LOL I lasted less than two days at rapture forums 

Lol, I'm Catholic and that was the same for me! They believe in scripture alone, I believe in Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the Magisterium; for some reason they were quoting like four times less scripture than me. There was only one person that actually put up any argument I had to think about. They blocked me for "spam" right after the admin asked me what the True Church is and I said the one that is One, Holy, Catholic (universal), and Apostolic

• Informative 1

Staff

How bad does it get?😞😞😉

I have to be honest with you.  This is an orthodox protestant site.  We (as a whole) reject Catholicism.

• Like 2

Staff
33 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

How bad does it get?😞😞😉

Well so bad that we've at some points rejected any Catholics from membership. We're not here to provide a soapbox for Catholic apologetics however we are open to civil rational discourse on a platform designed to learn about the Protestant faith.

You'll have to be charitable and see from our perspective. So many boards are similar in that the same old same old debates and arguments circulate. How many times do we want to discuss the authority of the Catholic church or Mary etc. Most of us are already committed to the Protestant faith and we'd enjoy most of all to plumb the depths of the Scripture, exegete, and study Protestant theology. Unfortunately, that usually depends on who is engaged in discussion. As most discussion has to include those engaged and those that are much more educated end up speaking in terms so that the less educated can understand. Not a big problem but nonetheless, depending on those that are engaged the conversation needs shift to include everyone with sincere inquire. Again, I don't really mind because I guage how much a person truly understands a doctrine or system etc by how well they can explain it in simpler terms.

To use the phrase and to quote from my favorite actor that @Origen likes, "explain this to me like a 2 year old".

• Like 2

Staff

7 minutes ago, William said:

we are open to civil rational discourse on a platform designed to learn from the Protestant faith.

Included in this faith is the biblical belief that God is the only proper recipient of prayer.

https://www.christforums.com/topic/7524-praying-to-mary-is-an-attack-on-the-trinity/?tab=comments#comment-42663

• Like 1
  • ouch 1

14 minutes ago, Origen said:

I have to be honest with you.  This is an orthodox protestant site.  We (as a whole) reject Catholicism.

Yep I figure. Now I understand why you had orthodox as a denomination but not Catholic! You didn't mean EO you meant traditional protestantism. I was confused, and all like "wait you consider orthodox christians but not Catholics? But orthodox believe most of the things protestants don't like about Catholicism"

• Toast 1

Staff
2 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

Yep I figure. Now I understand why you had orthodox as a denomination but not Catholic! You didn't mean EO you meant traditional protestantism. I was confused, and all like "wait you consider orthodox christians but not Catholics? But orthodox believe most of the things protestants don't like about Catholicism"

Yes, by orthodox we mean in contrast to liberalism and/or "true and correct" with respect to historical or classical Protestantism when referring to doctrine.

• Toast 1

Staff
45 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

and that the book of wisdom was really written during the council of Trent and then block me.

Really?  Someone believes the book of Wisdom was written during the council of Trent.  They did you a favor by blocking you.

8 minutes ago, Origen said:

Really?  Someone believes the book of Wisdom was written during the council of Trent.  They did you a favor by blocking you.

Unfortunately, a whole strand of Protestantism made up of lots of fundamentalist baptists and other fundamentalists believes this and other untrue things.😒

Staff
6 minutes ago, solasola5 said:

Unfortunately, a whole strand of Protestantism made up of lots of fundamentalist baptists and other fundamentalists believes this and other untrue things.😒

Yes, but no, fundamentalist arose to combat liberalism (post-modernism). Of course fundamentalist are known outside of their own by their wooden or inflexible method of interpretation which goes beyond the literal to the literalistic. I've noticed a lot of fundamentalist rejecting the Nicene Creed because of the reference to the "universal" catholic church. Catholic means to them only one thing and it's not up for discussion. Seems like you found that out already!

Rejecting the Nicene Creed actually places them (a church, congregation etc) outside the classification of Protestant denominations leaving them best identified in a class of Sect or Cult.

Staff

Given my past dealing with KJV onlyist I am sure this would not have helped you but did you point out there are quotes from the Apostolic fathers\Church fathers and there are manuscripts which predate Trent by several centuries.

3 minutes ago, William said:

Yes, but no fundamentalist arose to combat liberalism (post-modernism). Of course fundamentalist are known outside of their own by their wooden or inflexible method of interpretation which goes beyond the literal to the literalistic. I've noticed a lot of fundamentalist rejecting the Nicene Creed because of the reference to the "universal" catholic church. Catholic means to them only one thing and it's not up for discussion. Seems like you found that out already!

Rejecting the Nicene Creed actually places them (a church, congregation etc) outside the classification of Protestant denominations and they are best identified in the class of Sect or Cult.

Yep and they are really hard to talk to oftentimes. They usually (particularly the baptists) believe in a ultra literal interpretation of the KJV bible.

Staff
1 minute ago, Origen said:

Given my past dealing with KJV onlyist I am sure this would not have helped you but did you point out there are quotes from the Apostolic fathers\Church fathers and there are manuscripts which predate Trent by several centuries.

Doesn't sound like Solas received any time to respond. To me Solas was set up to answer a question and they were already expecting to discipline for the answer.

Staff
1 minute ago, William said:

Doesn't sound Solas received any time to respond. To me Solas was set up to answer a question and they were already expecting to discipline for the answer.

Quite right.  I did not think of that.

1 minute ago, Origen said:

Yeah I've mentioned that but then it's "sola scriptura" for them. They don't count that for anything, whereas most protestants see the Church Fathers as having some sort of evidence in my experience. I used to be a protestant myself and in fact am not yet Catholic but still "converting"

• Informative 1

Staff
Just now, solasola5 said:

Yeah I've mentioned that but then it's "sola scriptura" for them. They don't count that for anything, whereas most protestants see the Church Fathers as having some sort of evidence in my experience. I used to be a protestant myself and in fact am not yet Catholic but still "converting"

Well let's try and get you back. :classic_rolleyes:

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, Origen said:

Well let's try and get you back. 

Haha, no thanks. I've already decided that the Catholic faith is true and if it's not the orthodox is.