The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
News Feeder

Jerry Falwell, Jr. Tells Evangelicals Not to Choose the President Based on Their 'Personal Behavior'

Falwell should have NOT endorsed anyone for President. When he became involved with Mr. Trump before he became President, I think it lowered Falwell to give his approval to Mr Trump who was known for his sexual immoral lifestyle. If Falwell wanted to privately support Mr. trump that is much different than using his Christian College Presidency for endorsing Mr. Trump.

I sincerely hope a solid Republican will challenge Mr. Trump in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Staff
20 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Falwell should have NOT endorsed anyone for President. When he became involved with Mr. Trump before he became President, I think it lowered Falwell to give his approval to Mr Trump who was known for his sexual immoral lifestyle. If Falwell wanted to privately support Mr. trump that is much different than using his Christian College Presidency for endorsing Mr. Trump.

Couldn't agree more. And, Falwell's endorsement after a charitable donation by Trump looked like a bribe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, William said:

Couldn't agree more. And, Falwell's endorsement after a charitable donation by Trump looked like a bribe.

As a Falwell backer and Liberty alum I hate to say this....but I agree with you. LOL.

The abortion issue is driving the endorsement.

Staff
28 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Good to see you @Just Mike  looking normal :classic_smile:   I agree with the above .

30 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

I think it lowered Falwell to give his approval to Mr Trump who was known for his sexual immoral lifestyle.

I don't think it is fair to say that is what he is known for. Nor do I agree with it.  As a student of Liberty University, I was discouraged to see the endorsement, but he made it clear that it was not the University endorsing him but his personal endorsement. People are free to endorse whoever they wish.

32 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

My question is why? I believe the President has done a fine job so far.

6 minutes ago, Erik said:

The abortion issue is driving the endorsement.

Doubtful considering he could also have endorsed Ted Cruz.

16 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Doubtful considering he could also have endorsed Ted Cruz.

Was Falwell's endorsement before the nomination? - I agree Cruz was a much better abortion option.

11 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Yes, it was January 2016

Wow very strange...I can only think (or hope) that he assumed Trump would be the nomination

Just now, Erik said:

Wow very strange...I can only think (or hope) that he assumed Trump would be the nomination

I don't see what is so strange about it. He told people why he endorsed him, it was mainly for his business background.

Just now, davidtaylorjr said:

I don't see what is so strange about it. He told people why he endorsed him, it was mainly for his business background.

I supported Trump from the time he announced so not strange to me but with Cruz being an option I said strange only because I think he more aligned with Falwell's views and beliefs.

Staff
1 hour ago, Faber said:

Hi JM,

Who do you think are solid Republicans that can pose a credible challenge to him?

Ted Cruz already announced that Trump will win in 2020. I interpreted that as Cruz not running.

I will not vote for anyone that runs against Cruz. Ted Cruz is my candidate.

The irony is that I stated to my wife days before Cruz announced Trump being the winner in 2020 that I think Cruz isn't going to run because Trump at the moment is best for this country. Leave it for Cruz to do the right thing, sometimes the best man doesn't always win. In my opinion Tump is pushing hard and like no other towards the right which is going to usher in the way for a true Conservative such as Ted Cruz to run the relay.

Contrarily I hope Trump learns from Bush Sr. Bush tended not to be so public. Trump can get things done without drawing the entire nation or provoking such strong emotional opposition. But Trump's way to my amazement is creating waves in the "Right" direction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William said:

Contrarily I hope Trump learns from Bush Sr. Bush tended not to be so public. Trump can get things done without drawing the entire nation or provoking such strong emotional opposition. But Trump's way to my amazement is creating waves in the "Right" direction.

As much as I hate it, I think this is an intentional strategy. It distracts the media while he gets things done behind the scenes.

• Wow 1

18 hours ago, Faber said:

Who do you think are solid Republicans that can pose a credible challenge to him?

Mitt Romney?

Staff
8 hours ago, Faber said:

Mitt Romney?

The Republicans would lose the majority of the Evangelical vote. Though Trump still won despite heavy division between him and Cruz. Remember the never Trump movement of the right. That's pretty much a no brainer movement against a Mormon. Though I'm sure a lot of unbelieving Republicans and independents would vote Romney. He's best as a Senator of Mormonville or Utah. 

I remember when Billy Graham endorsed Romney, even taking down an article on Graham's website which opposed Mormons and called them a Cult. Point is I'm sure some might vote for him from the Evangelical right but most Evangelical would take issue. I can hear the lesser of two evils argument now.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Just Mike said:

Why ?

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, William said:

Hillary could have done the same thing. And no one would have said a word .

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, News Feeder said:

“I don’t think you can choose a president based on their personal behavior,” Liberty University President Jerry Falwell, Jr. said of President Trump in an interview with the Washington Post on Tuesday.

View the full article

Liberty University ? lol !

• Angry 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, davidtaylorjr said:

Goodness no. He is weak.

A "Real" flip flopper. Hate to say it because I first thought that he would have made a good president .

If any College, Christian or other wise wants to endorse a presidential candidate that is their choice, but there may be a cost for doing so, be it withholding support of giving support. But much depends on who is running or wanting reelection, there is always the unknown. Falwell took the risk, I really don't know if it effected the school or not.

1 hour ago, Just Mike said:

If any College, Christian or other wise wants to endorse a presidential candidate that is their choice, but there may be a cost for doing so, be it withholding support of giving support. But much depends on who is running or wanting reelection, there is always the unknown. Falwell took the risk, I really don't know if it effected the school or not.

It didn't because the school did not do the endorsement. It was a personal endorsement which is perfectly within his right.

• Like 1

Actually when the subject arose it brought back memories of that time when Jerry Sr. was short on cash and the school was in trouble. He needed eight million dollars to climb out of his financial burden. He made no apologies when he went on national tv and stated to the world that , " If I don't come up with eight million dollars the Lord is going to take my life !" I don't know if that self imposed threat got him his money ,but the Christian community was shocked to hear of such a thing .

No offence to his followers though .

Staff

Unless Trump repealed the Johnson Amendment a 501 Non Profit can't endorse a political candidate.