The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Staying up to (and past) midnight to ring in the new year

It's pretty much just another night to me. I think I went to sleep at about 9:45pm or so. Some/many celebrated by going out to Times Square and stood for hours (this year in the freezing rain) to see a ball drop. It struck midnight and people kissed, screamed and made noise. It all seems pointless to me. I was happy to sleep through it all. The whole thing is an event that I just don't seem even the least bit thrilled about. I will say Happy New Year to people, but that's about it.

• Like 1

Staff
16 minutes ago, Faber said:

It's pretty much just another night to me. I think I went to sleep at about 9:45pm or so. Some/many celebrated by going out to Times Square and stood for hours (this year in the freezing rain) to see a ball drop. It struck midnight and people kissed, screamed and made noise. It all seems pointless to me. I was happy to sleep through it all. The whole thing is an event that I just don't seem even the least bit thrilled about. I will say Happy New Year to people, but that's about it.

I was up to around 3am. Couldn't sleep because of excitement. Looking forward to my move from California to Idaho in a couple of months. Finally found a church in Nampa Idaho and I can't wait to get there. Have been listening to sermons from their website which excites me because of their theology: https://urcnampa.org/

Also contacted several places to rent because my wife and I are needing a rental until she reestablishes employment. Afterwards we'll be looking into our first home purchase together.

I'm a little fearful but more so excited to find out exactly what God has in store for us. Been praying a lot lately about the transition.

Happy New Year, Faber!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Staff
7 minutes ago, Faber said:

Thought you were headed to Washington?

Washington is where my father and mother lived, where I was until my move to California. My father has passed as most here know last May. Idaho is where we've been planning to move now for 3 years. Idaho or Texas, but Texas doesn't rank in the top 10 Conservative states as Idaho ranks 7th. Texas has become too Liberal, many big cities in Texas such as Austin are negatively impacting the culture. A strong Red state was most desirable to us.

Interesting. Idaho seems really nice. Heard the winters can be tough.

What states ranked in the top 5?

Staff
Just now, Faber said:

Interesting. Idaho seems really nice. Heard the winters can be tough.

What states ranked in the top 5?

5 to 7 were actually in the same percentile. The margin or difference in Conservative population was that close. Alabama is ranked the number 1 Red state for Conservative population. Idaho, stay away from the northern Liberal cities. Things get more expensive there, but the population is still 49 percent Conservative. The further South the more Red. Nampa is around 60 percent Conservative. 

Thanks for the information. It's good to know such information if one travels or relocates.

Staff

Went to Zillow and try as i might i could not find a house with blue carpet ... :classic_tongue: i really really tried

• ouch 1

If you think biblically you don't have to stay up until midnight to welcome the new year.  In the Bible sunset is considered to be the beginning of a new day, so the new year actually begins at sunset on December 31.  I stayed up to welcome the new year as I have done for probably every year I have lived.  I am 78 years old so I have seen a lot of new years.  There have been times when I have stayed up until midnight but I doubt if I will ever be doing that in the future.

• Love 1
  • Yay 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Faber said:

Actually I was entertained just by hearing all of the fire works go off. I went to bed around two o'clock am ,woke up to a deafening

blast around two thirty . I put on my ear plugs and went back to sleep. My neighborhood was rather quiet . All the noise was in another neighborhood somewhat close to ours. I guess everyone ran out of fireworks by Wednesday because that was the last time I heard a single firecracker.  

• Toast 1

Staff
On 1/13/2019 at 6:20 AM, Faber said:

Californians are leaving for other western states in droves in favor of cheaper housing, and, for some, a friendlier political climate, according to Bloomberg. Cities like Reno, Nev., and Boise are capitalizing on the exodus.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/idafornia-shirtcauses-war-of-words

According to a couple publications economist suggest that California's economy is unsustainable. California boasts about being the 5th largest economy but there's a very important statistic they leave out, they have THE WORST income to debt ratio in all 50 states. A testimony about the state's misspending. 

When I was at a company Christmas party for a medical foundation this last December I was listening to a woman talk about the labor union for nurses. She was suggesting that without the union her wages would be considerably lower. However, I couldn't help but muse that the reason why the economy in California is doomed is in large due to unions. Nobody wants to step out of the vicious circle which is spiraling downhill in a snowball fashion. The wages are driven upwards which in turn raises the cost of medical (not limited to) impacting the cost of living. An average 2 bedroom apartment at the moment runs 3200-3400 a month. In my small town outside of Santa Cruz the housing median is now 950,000 dollars. There are not many homes here that are one family homes which means to afford and sustain the cost of a house here multiple families dwell in a house.

As most know my move to Idaho has been planned for near three years. One of my concerns about the exodus is that Californians will move to Idaho and bring with them their failed politics and anti-Christian sentiments.

2 hours ago, William said:

One of my concerns about the exodus is that Californians will move to Idaho and bring with them their failed politics and anti-Christian sentiments.

That's true. Many of their failed policies are like a plague that infects every other state where the go.