The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Language: English

A Guatemalan family is suing Universal Orlando Resort following the death of the family's 38-year-old father, calling the park negligent for not providing ride warning signs in Spanish.

In 2016, Jose Calderon Arana had a fatal heart attack after going on "Skull Island: Reign of Kong." He had previous heart problems and didn't speak English, according to the wrongful death lawsuit the family filed this month.

Calderon Arana, who ran a farming operation owned by his family, didn’t feel well after going on the Skull Island ride — his wife thought he had an upset stomach, according to the lawsuit.

He took a break on a bench while his wife and son went another ride. He had collapsed by the time they came back and was taken to a hospital where he later died, said the lawsuit, which also claims there was a delay in rendering aid to Calderon Arana after he collapsed.

A sign at the entrance of the ride says in English, "Warning! This ride is an expedition through the rough terrain of King Kong’s natural habitat. The movement of the truck is dynamic with sudden accelerations, dramatic tilting and jarring actions." It warns that people with heart conditions or abnormal blood pressure, back or neck conditions, and expectant mothers shouldn’t go on the ride.

The family’s personal injury attorney, Lou Pendas, said it’s not unreasonable to have ride warning signs in English, Spanish and French so visitors can make informed decisions about whether they should go on the ride.

Regarding precedent, Pendas told USA TODAY that the argument isn't whether there have been other cases where juries have ruled or concluded whether it's reasonable to include disclosures in multiple languages, but about what is reasonable and what is prudent. 

Although it’s difficult to gauge what percentage of visitors to central Florida’s theme parks don’t speak English, local tourism figures show that 6.1 million of metro  Orlando’s 72 million visitors in 2017 came from outside the United States.

"This isn’t a crazy request or expectation. It’s actually quite basic in this day and age," Pendas said . "You are asking for international travelers. This is a mecca for tourism. This is a very basic thing that should be thought of for the safety of patrons."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2018/12/30/family-sues-universal-orlando-resort-over-english-only-warning-signs/2444935002/

I didn't post the entire article, but pieces of it. The full article can be found at the link above.

I am sorry that this gentleman died. 

I think in this day and age (and in particular in the United States) people ought to learn at least basic English skills. If (in the US) we are to cater to certain other languages where does it end (or does it end?) - Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, German, Russian, Arabic, etc., etc. What is to stop someone whose native language isn't written from suing? If we cater to a few languages then won't other people who speak differently feel discriminated against?

With all the international travel in English, television shows in English, books, newspapers, movies and even the internet you are now using there is simply no excuse not to learn basic English. It is the international language.

Staff

Language is a unifying instrument which binds people together. When people speak one language they become as one, they become a society.

S. I. Hayakawa

58 minutes ago, Becky said:

Language is a unifying instrument which binds people together. When people speak one language they become as one, they become a society.

S. I. Hayakawa

If this were true there would be no civil wars.

Staff
10 minutes ago, theophilus said:

Yes @theophilus assuming there is only one reason for civil wars. 

We know from Scripture when the folks got together in Babylon , God divided them via language. 

Samuel Ichiye Hayakawa was a Canadian-born American academic and politician of Japanese ancestry. A professor of English, he served as president of San Francisco State University, and then as U.S. Senator from California from 1977 to 1983. Wikipedia

He tried his best to get englisih established as the 'national language" (Not sure if that is the correct way to say that but i think any one can get the idea)

Remembering bits and pieces of some of his speeches about the unification of language .  I wish the powers that be had implemented his ideals.  Seems to me if that had been so  law suites  like the above article would not be wasting the courts time and making lawyers rich. 

2 hours ago, theophilus said:

Language is a unifying instrument...

I think it is only one of quite a few others.

• Like 1

Staff

As much as i wish English was the 'national language'  I also wish my Grandfather, a legal immigrant from France,  had taught us all how to speak French. 

If the ride is that dangerous, I think it is quite odd if they have warnings only in one language. Adding Spanish, French and pictures would not be too much to ask in my opinion.

Pictures are okay, but other languages seems unfair to all the other people who don't understand any of them.

My other questions are is (1) why can't they understand English? (2) If they are from the US what would be the difficulty? (3) If they are tourists then why didn't they study it in the country from which they came from to at least know the basics? - If they can afford to travel then I think they could have afforded to take some classes in learning English. It's all over the internet (youtube). I know in Japan, South Korea and China there are TV stations in English. In the Philippines they have tons of them. Quite a few are programs right from the USA. 

Staff

IF ya cant tell a ride is dangerous by watching it while waiting in line how are words or pictures going to matter. 

• Like 1
  • Toast 1

Staff
4 hours ago, Becky said:

S. I. Hayakawa

I think those from Babble would disagree (no pun intended) :classic_ninja:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Becky said:

IF ya cant tell a ride is dangerous by watching it while waiting in line how are words or pictures going to matter. 

Well, I haven't been there - can you see the whole ride from the line? If the dangerousness is so obvious, why do they have the warning in English?

1 minute ago, hanna said:

Well, I haven't been there - can you see the whole ride from the line? If the dangerousness is so obvious, why do they have the warning in English?

I think to avoid lawsuits, but they might be looking at one here anyway.

• Like 1

Staff
1 minute ago, hanna said:

Most likely because people are sue happy.  I am kinda fed up with people expecting to be coddled .  

24 minutes ago, Faber said:

Pictures are okay, but other languages seems unfair to all the other people who don't understand any of them.

My other questions are is (1) why can't they understand English? (2) If they are from the US what would be the difficulty? (3) If they are tourists then why didn't they study it in the country from which they came from to at least know the basics? - If they can afford to travel then I think they could have afforded to take some classes in learning English. It's all over the internet (youtube). I know in Japan, South Korea and China there are TV stations in English. In the Philippines they have tons of them. Quite a few are programs right from the USA. 

Learning languages is not so easy to everyone.

If they have written warnings in those languages that most of the visitors understand, it's not unfair to others. Those who know only some other languages can use the pictures.

I am not saying learning the language is easy, but I don't understand how a person today that can afford to travel can't at least learn the basics in English. This is especially true since English is so pervasive.

All it would take is for one person who speaks another lesser known language to claim discrimination. Why are there 10 other languages given but not mine?

• Like 1

Staff

Let the buyer beware .

Staff
WWW.UNIVERSALORLANDO.COM

Universal Orlando Resort

There is a little drop down that will tell  a person about it in Spanish 

I

10 minutes ago, Faber said:

I am not saying learning the language is easy, but I don't understand how a person today that can afford to travel can't at least learn the basics in English. This is especially true since English is so pervasive.

All it would take is for one person who speaks another lesser known language to claim discrimination. Why are there 10 other languages given but not mine?

I think they have some statistics about the visitors in that area.

I know some people who have lived in Finland for ten or twenty years and they still don't speak or understand Finnish. I don't know how they do that but that's the way it is.

Staff

When society supports cultural diversity these things happen. In America segregation still exists in big cities. In Philadelphia as a child I remember walking through Black, Hispanic, Italian, Jamaican, Chinese etc neighborhoods. Even my Korean relatives come from overseas move here and then they find Korean churches and plugin to the Korean community. They rarely actually have much contact with English speakers and they never develop anything in common with other cultures. This is the negative effect of a Nation supporting cultural diversity. 

Education was a way of melting everyone together. But now those not from English speaking families are considered disadvantaged, and the curriculum is turned upside down to level the playing field. Beyond language this is apparent by abolishing American Constitutional Studies in favor of Social Studies where cultural diversity is embraced and celebrated.

• Like 2