The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

John 1:1 Persons

Staff

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Often my studies on John 1:1 seemingly focus in on the beginning of the verse John 8:58; John 10:30. In John 1:1 an allusion to Genesis 1:1 is made. The Logos is the governing principle of all creation, that which accomplishes all things - in the beginning - the revelation of who God is John 1:18. The Logos is preexisting before anything was created: time, space, and matter. Revelation 1:8 who is, and who was, and who is to come, for Jesus is the Alpha and Omega.

Today the middle of the verse really became apparent when reading the Nicene Creed. From a Trinitarian perspective we worship one God in three distinct Persons. "And the Word was with God" could be understood rightly as 'The Word was distinct from God'. Yet everything about God is Christ, "very God of very God".

The Nicene Creed continues, "the only-begotten Son of God", which usually draws controversy, as many people think begotten implies creation rather than rank. Jesus' rank is the exalted incarnate Son of God, He is both created and the head in all creation. Created in that God took upon the flesh (incarnation which is Latin for into and flesh) and was truly man. This is very important theology as God revealed Himself, an invisible spirit in the flesh that came to make the Father known. God gave up nothing in His deity but added the human flesh much to early Docetism's objection (matter is bad and only spirit is good) which is a Greek philosophy and ultimately a heresy; a result of putting philosophy before theology when theology ought to be foundational to philosophy.

• Like 1