The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
greggordon

Finding Fulfillment in God Alone - Greg Gordon

“My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” – Psalm 42:2

Life is full of needs. Emotional needs, physical needs, purpose and goals. We are constantly needing to find a sense of fulfillment in life in what we do, who we are and our surroundings. God made humankind with this inner void of needing companionship, comfort and communion. Jesus did not desire this as he shared with people that He would comfort them and give them rest of souls (Matthew 11:29). Jesus knew of the inward thirst of the human soul and put Himself as the giver of the solution (John 4:14). Though the world offers hundreds of solutions to the deep needs of mankind, only God truly fulfills all these needs. As Christians when we are honest with ourselves we realize that many times we have sought fulfillment in places other then God alone. At at time of knowing this Israel forsook God and sought their fulfillment and purpose in other things and God chastised them that these were “broken cisterns” that would not hold water (Jeremiah 2:13). How is it with you today? Have you been seeking pleasure and fulfillment apart from God and His ways? The greater tragedy is we can even be around the things of God and even serving Him but missing that fulfillment and living waters He promised. 

St. Augustine prayed this ancient prayer for the Holy Spirit to fill his longing soul: “Oh come, Thou refreshment of them that languish and faint. Come, Thou Star and Guide of them that sail in the tempestuous sea of the world; Thou only Haven of the tossed and shipwrecked. Come, Thou Glory and Crown of the living, and only Safeguard of the dying. Come, Holy Spirit, in much mercy, and make me fit to receive Thee—Amen.” 

The Psalmist David asks the question “When can I go and meet with God?” Is that your desire today? Are you longing to be with Him. Spend time in His presence, which ultimately is our greatest privilege on this earth. Have other things clouded your view and desire to be with the One who was pierced for your transgressions? God desires that we come to Him. Jesus says, “Come unto Me.” (Matthew 11:28). Are you weary? Come to Him. Are you tired? Come to Him. Have you spent your time and energies on lesser things? Come to Him. When we choose to simply sit at His feet and listen, He is pleased. If you are fainting or thirsting today, it is a clear sign that you need Him. God meet with God and find that life and joy in His presence that the world can never give.

facebook.jpg

• Like 1