The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Dear brothers and sisters, grace and peace to you from our God father. In the name of Lord Jesus, I would like to share the truth about serving the God. In Malachi 3:17” They shall be mine,” says the lord of hosts,” On the day that I make them My jewels. And I will spare them As a man spares his own son who serves him.”

Thanks God. It tells us God will spare his son again. There is background for God to deliver this information. Can you see Malachi 3:13-14. Israel people complained it is useless to serve God. But God promise in verse 17He will show mercy on his son who serves Him on the day. We may have a question. On which day will God show mercy to human being? Please see Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. Here it told us Elijah will come first before the great day when God spare us. Who is Elijah? We may check Matthew 11:13-14: For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John,14 And if you are willing to receive it, he is the Elijah who is to come.  John baptism is the Elijah who paved road for Jesus right?

Israel people are waiting for Messiah. Jesus is the Messiah. When Jesus completed the salvation, it is the day for God to start sparing on us. Jesus completes the salvation when He die in the cross. In John 19:30 “ So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said,” It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. Without the salvation of Jesus, we human being are not in the Grace of God because sin will hinder all good things from God. In old testament, Israel people have the law of Moses, but they cannot get rid of sin and always breaking the covenant with God. God is righteous and hides face from Israel people when they sinned. They are many sacrifices in old testament but they are only a reminder of sins every year. It is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. How Jesus comments Israel people” They are rebellious people, deceitful children unwilling to listen to the instruction. I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt but they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them.”  Until Jesus comes, everything gets changed. With Jesus blood, the new covenant has been set up. He brings us the truth and grace. He makes the peach between sinner and God. We need not to be teached by our neighbor” or our parents, saying” Know the lord.” For all of us know Jesus from the youngest one to the eldest one. God is merciful to us. Our unrighteousness, our sin will not be remembered any more. Our sin has been forgiven and removed by Jesus blood. As said in Colossians1:13-14: He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. Today, we are son of God. As mentioned in Malachi 3:17, God spares his own son who serves him on that day. 2Corinthians 6:2” For He says:” In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you.” Behod, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. Thanks God. We know Israel people are decedents of Abraham but they were still under the sin since they don’t accept Jesus as the Lord. Therefore, we feel more grateful and less worthy of God’s love since formerly we are gentiles by birth. Remember that at that time, we were separate from Christ, excluded from the covenants of the promise without hope and without God in the word. We just like the people of Egypt who should be destroyed. But now in Christ Jesus we who once were far away but now been brought near by the blood of Christ. Jesus complete the prophecy in Malachi” They shall be mine,” says the lord of hosts,” On the day that I make them My jewels. And I will spare them As a man spares his own son who serves him.”

God will spare on his son who serves him. It is our great honor to be son of God. We have been born of water and spirit. It is our great honor to serve the God who is the Most high, creator of heaven and earth. We are not up to it but Jesus offered his life to cleanse our conscience to serve the living God. Paul encouraged us in Romans 12:1  beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” Here it told us to contribute ourselves to God with holiness. It is our duty just as it is the right thing for son to honor his parents. That is the first commandment with promise.

From ancient times till now, God keeps choosing people. The purpose is to ask people repent and serve God. God’s will never change. In Noah time, the human race is full of evil and wickedness. God regretted the creation of human being and his heart was deeply sad. Noah was a righteous man among the people of his time. Noah walked faithfully with God and found favor in the eyes of the Lord. God selected him to preach the righteousness to the people of that age. There are so many people who is living at the time period with Noah. But only Noah and his family serve God right? Only Noah did everything as God commanded him. He paid out hardship to find material to build Ark. It lasted about 100 hundred years. He made efforts to persuade people repent and inform people God will pour out flood. Noah is very patient to fulfill God’s will. But Nobody repented and believed in God. They have different endings. As said in Malachi 3:18” The you shall again discern between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve Him.” It told us the righteous and the wicked will be differed and have different endings. Just like Noah’s family and other people in that time. Whoever believes will be saved but whoever does not believe will be condemned. One who serves God and one who does not serve Him will be separated. Noah and his family serve God. They are saved and kept safety in the Noah ark which was built according to God’s requirement. Others who do not service God but serve world die in the flood.

It has been thousand years passed since Noah time. The Lord is not slow to come but is patient so everyone will come to repentance. Our society is closer to the day when Jesus comes again. Please see Luke 17:26-29” Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.28. It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building.29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.” Everything seems normal as usual. But disaster comes to destroy it. Peter reminded us in 2 Peter 3:8 do not forget, with the lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The day of the lord will come like a thief. Since everything in the world will disappear and destroy. We should set out determination to serve God and look forward to a new heaven and a new earth where is full of righteousness and holiness.

Even through our ancestor Adam made sins, the sin entered the world. But via God’s selection, human race begins to serve God. Like Abraham. He left his hometown where local people served foreign Gods. Abraham followed God’s will and his son Isaac also feared God. They received great blessings from God. God promise him land and numerous decedents. Today we are decedents of Abraham. Those who have faith are children of Abraham. So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. God selects us from the world, with the will to ask us to serve Him. That is the purpose of God’s selection. 

In Job 36:11” If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, And their years in pleasures.” The one who serves God, left everything for Jesus and the gospel. No one will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age and in the age to come eternal life. The prize prepared by God for the one who serves Him is in abundance. We can see from Isaac sons, the elder son is called Esau, the younger son is called Jacob. Esau is good at hunter and always busy with the hunter business. Jacob was quiet and cares on the birthright.” The eldest son will receive blessing from God, it is called birthright. Esau cares about hunter more than birthright while Jacob regarded birthright as important. Finally, Esau sold his birthright to Jacob since he is tired after hunting. He spent most of time and energy of hunting. Finally he got exhausted and asked for red stew from Jacob. Jacob asked him to sell him birthright. Esau agreed by swearing an oath. Bible Genesis 25:34 said” And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose ,and went his way. Thus, Esau despised his birthright.” Esau should have the birthright and received blessing from God. Due to his despise, he lost the inheritance rights. It is really a great pity.

Jacob regarded blessings from God as more important than the benefits in the world. Finally he got guidance and inheritance from God. God is called the God of Jacob but not God of Esau since Esau has given it up . Even though Jacob doesn’t use the correct way to get birthright, God showed mercy on him since he believed in God. Today God select us not because we have very good behavior but our faith in Lord. Because of faith and repentance, God spares us and helps us to renew. The Lord is righteous and also disciplines the one He loves. So Jacob was deceived also in marriage by his uncle Laban. He would like to marry the second daughter of Laban but got cheated to marry the elder daughter. God teaches him to be honest and get blessing by relying on God instead of personal way and ability.

From Esau’s choice, it is a big teaching to all of us today. We are son of God and it is important for us to cherish our identity. we can see Hebrews 12:16-17” Lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.17 For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.” Esau sold his right and blessing because he got tired after working heavily in the world. His heart is full of the world but not God’s words. Today, Jesus told us do not labor for the food which perished, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you.” In Proverbs 23, 4” do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness.” Six days we shall labor and do all our work. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord our God. We labor in the world but we are not born to serve the world. It is our happiness and duty to work but we will not be controlled by it.

Abraham and Isaac also have big business but it is from God. God blessed them by expanding their finance. Abraham’s rich is from God which is different with his nephew Lot. Abraham and Lot have big possessions. Finally Lot left his uncle Abraham. He chose the whole plain of Jodan. Why? It is a good place to feed herders. But the place is near to the Sodom and Gomorrah which are cities full of sin. Lot was attracted by the wealth he can get in the place and gradually move to Sodom. The people of Sodom were wicked and were sinning greatly against the Lord. Sometimes we will be like Lot to wear ourselves out to get rich and lost ourselves in the world. We know finally the Sodom was destroyed by God. By Abraham’s praying and God’s mercy, angels go to Lot’s house and take their hands to run out of the Sodom before the fire goes down. Since his family live a long time in Sodom, his daughters and wife not fear Lord. His wife looked back and became a pillar of salt. His daughters have abnormal sex relationship with Lot, finally have child called Moab and Ammonitesof. It is a big loss to Lot. All the wealth made by Lot got disappeared. His families are also poor. It reminds me the verses in Mathew 6:24” No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”  We may imitate Abraham’s faith and zeal for God. Due to his faith, he and his family have no lack in life. The wealth, the families are protected by God. His son Isaac fears God and knows God. God is called God of Abraham and Isaac. So today we believe in God, we do not worry about what shall we eat,drink or what shall we wear. For the pagans run after all these things. If we seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and the blessings to Abraham will be given to us also. God never changes. My twin sister has house in Hebei Province. She is looking for renter to rent it. In the second Sabatth day of October, she prayed in Church for her aunt who got cancer. Her aunt is a Buddhist and rejected to believe in Jesus. My sister prayed like this” God my dear lord, please help ease the pain for my aunt. If you help and hear my prayer, I am willing to extend the days to rent house out. I would like to give the blessings to my aunt firstly.” After praying, there is a man calling her and then her house was rent out very smoothly. God is the source of blessing and he is willing to give us best. If we serve God with all our heart, all our soul and all our strength, we will not receive shame. Let’s read the last verse in Hebrews 12:28” Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.”

4 hours ago, Melinda Wu said:

My twin sister has house in Hebei Province.

Hello Melinda,

Welcome to ChristForums. She has cold winters living there.

1 hour ago, Melinda Wu said:

Yes. Faber. But now she is living in Shanghai China. Welcome to Shanghai.

Do you live in Shanghai, China?  If so, were you born and raised there?

Edited by CDF47

Thanks. I have been to Shanghai. It seemed much more international compared to several other cities I lived in. I have also flown many times as well into and out of Pudong International Airport.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:19 AM, Faber said:

Thanks. I have been to Shanghai. It seemed much more international compared to several other cities I lived in. I have also flown many times as well into and out of Pudong International Airport.

Glad to hear about that. Feel free to contact me when you come to Shanghai next time. You are welcomed to share with us in the church. My wechat is 13301739589.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:16 AM, CDF47 said:

Do you live in Shanghai, China?  If so, were you born and raised there?

God bless you. I am working in Shanghai, China. I was born and raised in Fujian province.

18 hours ago, Melinda Wu said:

Glad to hear about that. Feel free to contact me when you come to Shanghai next time. You are welcomed to share with us in the church. My wechat is 13301739589.

God bless you. I am working in Shanghai, China. I was born and raised in Fujian province.

Oh, I see.  That's cool.

Edited by CDF47