The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Support

Billions Needed To Rebuild California Communities Wiped Out By Wildfires

By DCNF -

California-wildfire-damage-Paradise-1-25

Wildfires raging across California could cost the insurance industry anywhere from $8.6 billion to $13 billion, according to estimates. But that’s only part of the financial burden that will be borne by Californians.

Billions Needed To Rebuild California Communities Wiped Out By Wildfires is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust.

View the original full article

If I lost my home in a CA fire I would seriously consider moving to a different state.

In 1983 my wife and I were so burdened financially living in CA, we just could not earn enough money to support living there. We lived in a modest 1,400 sq ft house, and our housing took too much of our budget, my wages were just enough to keep even but not much towards other future needs we saw coming as our children were growing and needs were coming faster than our income could match.

After some deep prayer, we had long seen proof that God was calling me into the ministry. We asked God to help us sell our house, and have a Bible college that would accept me, as I was 37 with four children. We were so sure of Gods direction that as I look back now we acted on faith in the call we were sure of. This was such big step of faith that proved to be one of many yet to come. God directed us step by faith for the next 36 years, and looking back we see that God was by our side each and everyday.

I am reminded  of what Paul wrote "we walk by faith not sight" Like the headlights in our cars unless we move the headlights only show just so much, we drive seeing only what the lights show the next couple of hundred feet, we drive believing the road ahead is safe. We trust God as we move forward by faith in Gods direction.

God be with those who have lost so much in the fires.

Staff
2 hours ago, Just Mike said:

If I lost my home in a CA fire I would seriously consider moving to a different state.

In 1983 my wife and I were so burdened financially living in CA, we just could not earn enough money to support living there. We lived in a modest 1,400 sq ft house, and our housing took too much of our budget, my wages were just enough to keep even but not much towards other future needs we saw coming as our children were growing and needs were coming faster than our income could match.

After some deep prayer, we had long seen proof that God was calling me into the ministry. We asked God to help us sell our house, and have a Bible college that would accept me, as I was 37 with four children. We were so sure of Gods direction that as I look back now we acted on faith in the call we were sure of. This was such big step of faith that proved to be one of many yet to come. God directed us step by faith for the next 36 years, and looking back we see that God was by our side each and everyday.

I am reminded  of what Paul wrote "we walk by faith not sight" Like the headlights in our cars unless we move the headlights only show just so much, we drive seeing only what the lights show the next couple of hundred feet, we drive believing the road ahead is safe. We trust God as we move forward by faith in Gods direction.

God be with those who have lost so much in the fires.

I'm really biting my tongue. Living as you know in California. I don't want to piss off my fellow Christians that live here. Listened to prayer requests for those being burnt out etc yesterday at church. Can't help but wonder if nearby cities and towns surrounding Sodom and Gomorrah also prayed for "victims" that lost property etc. The smoke has made its way to my town. Looks like a heavy fog outside and people are wearing ineffective respirators etc.

As my mind wandered I questioned whether these fires could be the act of God. Here are the facts, Liberal/Dems are in power, the Governor a Liberal/Dem rejected a bill to maintain the power lines, many suspect the fires started from a downed or faulty power lines etc. Least I can say is that Lib/Dem politics caused this fire based on what appears as plausible evidence.

Back to Sodom and Gomorrah, I wonder if God gave some time before raining fire down upon the city, whether "Christians" would try to evacuate their loved ones or friends from the wrath of God?

Let's just say my imagination runs rapid as the smoke is overhead.

• Like 1

Staff

Our daughter-in-law  works in the Napa Valley.. Thinking of the  fire that hit there and Santa Rosa  She was watching the sparks through the window at work . Where the fire started. The north end of the Napa Valley. All of us who have no choice but PG&E will be paying for this for years. One of the things about paying for this that bugs me no end is a fellow employee years back.. when anyone would say wow the pg&e bill is high she would smirk and say " Thank you fro putting my kids through college"  To me there is no difference between Caltrans and PG&E. 

Becky, I pray not to offend but I have been offended by the California Naturists every Fall Fire Season.  And, just, last week, FNC played a clip of your Governor being his usual idiotic self, claiming there is no solution.  In Texas we just got through the worst drought of my 74 years but because of controlled burning of the former 12 months underbrush our  fires were kept small.

The very idea that your house and your loved are not worthy of a million or two in burn expenses to save billions on Firefighters and trillions in home and business reconstruction costs.

Staff

No offence at all @Bill Taylor, It is so sad to see such a pretty place become trash.  One of the ways 'they ' protect the sequoia trees, is control burning. That is not for Joe Public.our lives, homes and business are not important compared to the "Giant Sequoias"

Back in the 50 traveling between Sacramento and the foothills, I remember  the areas along side the road were plowed, the other side of the fence was also. 

Why not practice what they preach.?

BHS/NFPA Wildfire Research Fact sheets on roofs decks, attics and crawl spaces and fencing

Before a wildfire threatens your area…

In and around your home

Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. This prevents embers from igniting your home.

Remove dead vegetation and other items from under your deck or porch, and within 10 feet of the house. Learn more about the basics of defensible space on the Firewise website.

Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris and combustible materials from accumulating.

Remove flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks) within 30 feet of your home’s foundation and outbuildings, including garages and sheds. If it can catch fire, don’t let it touch your house, deck or porch.

Wildfire can spread to tree tops. Prune trees so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.

Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.

Don’t let debris and lawn cuttings linger. Dispose of these items quickly to reduce fuel for fire.

Inspect shingles or roof tiles. Replace or repair those that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration.

Cover exterior attic vents with metal wire mesh no larger than 1/8 inch to prevent sparks from entering the home.

Enclose under-eave and soffit vents or screens with metal mesh to prevent ember entry.

Learn more about how to protect your home and property at www.firewise.org.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, William said:

I'm really biting my tongue. Living as you know in California. I don't want to piss off my fellow Christians that live here. Listened to prayer requests for those being burnt out etc yesterday at church. Can't help but wonder if nearby cities and towns surrounding Sodom and Gomorrah also prayed for "victims" that lost property etc. The smoke has made its way to my town. Looks like a heavy fog outside and people are wearing ineffective respirators etc.

As my mind wandered I questioned whether these fires could be the act of God. Here are the facts, Liberal/Dems are in power, the Governor a Liberal/Dem rejected a bill to maintain the power lines, many suspect the fires started from a downed or faulty power lines etc. Least I can say is that Lib/Dem politics caused this fire based on what appears as plausible evidence.

Back to Sodom and Gomorrah, I wonder if God gave some time before raining fire down upon the city, whether "Christians" would try to evacuate their loved ones or friends from the wrath of God?

Let's just say my imagination runs rapid as the smoke is overhead.

Dear brother my heart goes out to you and other fellow Christians. 

I too have wondered if these fires were not connected to Gods judgement. I was raised in Lancaster. CA, and I truly loved living there. However that was many years ago and so much was changed. We all know that when growing up everthing seems so nice, we are unaware of the reallity of the way things really are.

My prayers are with you William and Beckys daughter.

Have you sold your house William?

Staff
13 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

We all know that when growing up everthing seems so nice, we are unaware of the reallity of the way things really are.

Spending a week or so with grandparents in San Francisco was great fun circa mid 50s. Grandma would put on hat and gloves to go the local grocery store. Living in small towns we did not have much in the way of sidewalks for skating. San Francisco has sidewalks!  I could stay out tell about dusk skating .. Never felt unsafe. Now we will not go to the city. It is so filthy physically and spiritually.  Will God open the deep and crush it? Will He spare it for the missionaries there? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Becky said:

No offence at all @Bill Taylor, It is so sad to see such a pretty place become trash.  One of the ways 'they ' protect the sequoia trees, is control burning. That is not for Joe Public.our lives, homes and business are not important compared to the "Giant Sequoias"

Back in the 50 traveling between Sacramento and the foothills, I remember  the areas along side the road were plowed, the other side of the fence was also. 

Why not practice what they preach.?

BHS/NFPA Wildfire Research Fact sheets on roofs decks, attics and crawl spaces and fencing

Before a wildfire threatens your area…

In and around your home

Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. This prevents embers from igniting your home.

Remove dead vegetation and other items from under your deck or porch, and within 10 feet of the house. Learn more about the basics of defensible space on the Firewise website.

Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris and combustible materials from accumulating.

Remove flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks) within 30 feet of your home’s foundation and outbuildings, including garages and sheds. If it can catch fire, don’t let it touch your house, deck or porch.

Wildfire can spread to tree tops. Prune trees so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.

Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.

Don’t let debris and lawn cuttings linger. Dispose of these items quickly to reduce fuel for fire.

Inspect shingles or roof tiles. Replace or repair those that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration.

Cover exterior attic vents with metal wire mesh no larger than 1/8 inch to prevent sparks from entering the home.

Enclose under-eave and soffit vents or screens with metal mesh to prevent ember entry.

Learn more about how to protect your home and property at www.firewise.org.

The fact that so many states practice what is implied responsibility of the local governing agencies that are voted and seated for our local and national forests.  A huge national of Yellow Pine, nature's Fire Starter for it's easily accessed and lights, much like man s Fire Startter and every fall, just before the Fire Season, smoke rises for all to see, meaning both dead and new underbrush are being burnt with controlled burns to protect my and my families happy hinnies from the very fast burns until next year.

Like it or not, every year, every state endures the winds, campfires and arsonists but, by and large, California burns alone... sad.

• Sad 1

Staff

Seems this Scripture comes to mind often.

2Ch 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Becky said:

Seems this Scripture comes to mind often.

2Ch 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 

2Chron 7;14 has much to d with every True Christian's life and the numbers, percentage or real, scare me but I see the prophecy of Romans 1 being fulfilled.  YHWH has  tturned the lot of them over to a retro bate mind.

Staff

Sad to see, yes  ... You know very well our King has an army, cause you're a soldier .   Our King is not a looser He is victorious . He tells me all the earth is His !

While in this mans army you used a gun.. Where is what i am thinking @BillTaylor While in His army you used Praise Like these guys.

Jos 6:3  And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days. 
Jos 6:4  And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets. 

How many Bill, how many walls did your gift of music cause to tumble? 

2Co 10:4  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 

1Pe 2:9  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 

Eph 6:14  Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 
Eph 6:15  And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 
Eph 6:16  Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 
Eph 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 
Eph 6:18  Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 

1Ch 5:20  And they were helped against them, and the Hagarites were delivered into their hand, and all that were with them: for they cried to God in the battle, and he was intreated of them; because they put their trust in him. 

Exo 19:5  Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 

• Love 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, Bill Taylor said:

Becky, I pray not to offend but I have been offended by the California Naturists every Fall Fire Season.  And, just, last week, FNC played a clip of your Governor being his usual idiotic self, claiming there is no solution.  In Texas we just got through the worst drought of my 74 years but because of controlled burning of the former 12 months underbrush our  fires were kept small.

The very idea that your house and your loved are not worthy of a million or two in burn expenses to save billions on Firefighters and trillions in home and business reconstruction costs.

The president gave his full assurance to Gov. Brown that he had the federal government at his disposal to help with the fires . Brown showed no respect for the president by standing with his back towards the president . Amazing how someone can show contempt by such an offer as that . Why do the people keep re-electing Brown ? What good thing has he ever done for the people in California ?

16 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

The president gave his full assurance to Gov. Brown that he had the federal government at his disposal to help with the fires . Brown showed no respect for the president by standing with his back towards the president . Amazing how someone can show contempt by such an offer as that . Why do the people keep re-electing Brown ? What good thing has he ever done for the people in California ?

He can show such disrespect because the prophecy at the end of Romans One is fulfilled, in our time.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:48 PM, Bill Taylor said:

He can show such disrespect because the prophecy at the end of Romans One is fulfilled, in our time.

I watched on TV as Brown walked behind our President as if it was not his choice to be there.

I believe Gods judgement is upon the US and some states that openly have gone the wrong way. CA is perhaps one state we see more sin than most states. Not that all states have sin, but CA seems to lead the way.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Bill Taylor said:

The fact that so many states practice what is implied responsibility of the local governing agencies that are voted and seated for our local and national forests.  A huge national of Yellow Pine, nature's Fire Starter for it's easily accessed and lights, much like man s Fire Startter and every fall, just before the Fire Season, smoke rises for all to see, meaning both dead and new underbrush are being burnt with controlled burns to protect my and my families happy hinnies from the very fast burns until next year.

Like it or not, every year, every state endures the winds, campfires and arsonists but, by and large, California burns alone... sad.

I don't ever remember any fires taking place in California when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton . Seriously ! We trained on just about  every hill and valley on base and never did experience any fires anywhere in the state . It seems like this may be a deliberate attempt to avenge someone for whatever reason . If we are to believe the media they make it sound like the entire state is on fire .

11 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

I don't ever remember any fires taking place in California when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton . Seriously ! We trained on just about  every hill and valley on base and never did experience any fires anywhere in the state . It seems like this may be a deliberate attempt to avenge someone for whatever reason . If we are to believe the media they make it sound like the entire state is on fire .

I'm sorry Matt but life is just the same as reading and living by the blessings of the Word of YHWH or living while ignoring all of His Wisdom and living out the Curses of His Word.  Now, the Secular Media no longer lives to inform, no, they live to find the World's acclaim and fortune.

Their goal in writing is to catch the reader's attention and very being with the first paragraph, just as the Mystery, the Scifi and all of the other fiction writers drive for with the first chapter.  Their format, the News Papers is much more condensed but they use their keyboards.to create excitement through written drama and they have moving clips

All of Calif. is not on fire but living out Gov. Brown ś and the ¿Tree Lovers? stupidity the only reason all of it is not burning is because YHWH still has saints there.

12 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

I was at Crows Landing Naval air Station in CA. We has simulated carrier landing at night to train pilots to use a special lens system, and we had a bombing range. There were several fires form stupid mistakes. The fires never got huge, but yes there were fores. I was there from 1995 to 1997, I loved it as there was about 35 to 40 men on board, we had only one officer, the officer was in charge of us all. I loved being there.  

43 minutes ago, Bill Taylor said:

I'm sorry Matt but life is just the same as reading and living by the blessings of the Word of YHWH or living while ignoring all of His Wisdom and living out the Curses of His Word.  Now, the Secular Media no longer lives to inform, no, they live to find the World's acclaim and fortune.

Their goal in writing is to catch the reader's attention and very being with the first paragraph, just as the Mystery, the Scifi and all of the other fiction writers drive for with the first chapter.  Their format, the News Papers is much more condensed but they use their keyboards.to create excitement through written drama and they have moving clips

All of Calif. is not on fire but living out Gov. Brown ś and the ¿Tree Lovers? stupidity the only reason all of it is not burning is because YHWH still has saints there.

Bill I have not for a second wished we had stayed in CA. I was raised there, my parents died there. Every new house my wife and I bought in Palmdale and Modesto, which were new nice homes are now nothing but gang held places, But even still the selling prices according to Zellow has been 20 times what we paid for them.  How can a state being over rum by gangs continue to keep a strong economy? Jerry brown keeps being elected and I wonder why?

42 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Bill I have not for a second wished we had stayed in CA. I was raised there, my parents died there. Every new house my wife and I bought in Palmdale and Modesto, which were new nice homes are now nothing but gang held places, But even still the selling prices according to Zellow has been 20 times what we paid for them.  How can a state being over rum by gangs continue to keep a strong economy? Jerry brown keeps being elected and I wonder why?

The only reason I can see is the answer from the Bible but because YHWH's Word is so disused, people dismiss it off hand, even though, probably, 90% of it has been proven and the unproven is Prophecy coany of the scriptures ncerning the Rapture of the Followers of our Savior, the next Arrival of Yashuah ha'Mashiah the Millennial Reign followed by the burning of the Earth, the Resurrection of of the Lost for the Great White Throne Judgement and all that follows.

No investigator has proven any of the scripas anything but true or yet to be fulfilled.  And the saddest part of all of this mess is thal less than 2% of the people in Service during any Service are likely unsaved because of nothing more than disbelief in the Basics.

14 minutes ago, Bill Taylor said:

The only reason I can see is the answer from the Bible but because YHWH's Word is so disused, people dismiss it off hand, even though, probably, 90% of it has been proven and the unproven is Prophecy coany of the scriptures ncerning the Rapture of the Followers of our Savior, the next Arrival of Yashuah ha'Mashiah the Millennial Reign followed by the burning of the Earth, the Resurrection of of the Lost for the Great White Throne Judgement and all that follows.

No investigator has proven any of the scripas anything but true or yet to be fulfilled.  And the saddest part of all of this mess is thal less than 2% of the people in Service during any Service are likely unsaved because of nothing more than disbelief in the Basics.

Bill I think a lot has to do with the church and the people in it and their individual commitment to being a faithful Follower of Jesus Christ. The church were my wife and I are called to belong to, I would say is not like what you describe. 

But Bill each of us is totally responsible for our walk and our personal relationship with Christ Jesus. If I have unconfessed sin that effects just about every interaction I have with other people.  I may fake it but God knows. Any thoughts? 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Just Mike said:

I was at Crows Landing Naval air Station in CA. We has simulated carrier landing at night to train pilots to use a special lens system, and we had a bombing range. There were several fires form stupid mistakes. The fires never got huge, but yes there were fores. I was there from 1995 to 1997, I loved it as there was about 35 to 40 men on board, we had only one officer, the officer was in charge of us all. I loved being there.  

Crows Landing , I'm not sure where that was . Anyway thanks for your service . Every time I think of my service in the Marine Corps I regret leaving . But as for fires I never recall seeing or hearing of any that would have made headlines . On base or any other place we trained we were restricted from using anything having to do with fire. Even smoking was banned when nightfall set in .

On 11/24/2018 at 2:12 PM, Just Mike said:

Bill I think a lot has to do with the church and the people in it and their individual commitment to being a faithful Follower of Jesus Christ. The church were my wife and I are called to belong to, I would say is not like what you describe. 

But Bill each of us is totally responsible for our walk and our personal relationship with Christ Jesus. If I have unconfessed sin that effects just about every interaction I have with other people.  I may fake it but God knows. Any thoughts? 

We were responsible for our sins, right up until the moment that Yashuah ha'Mashiah gave up the ghost.  Then the event, mis-characterized by the early Saints in the Creeds as Him descending into Hell.  In Matthew 27:50-53 we see the Biblical account of what He did.  He did descend into the grave where he, in the Spirit, went into Paradise/Abraham's Buxom (Luke 1:22-31) a.k.a. Paradise when Yashuah spoke to the thief hanging on the cross.

When Yashuah gave up the Ghost, all my sins, past, present and future, were paid for in that moment.  Therefore, my very being was bought and I became the Bond Servant of Yashuah with the responsibility to never shame nor, if possible, fail Him because of this existing condition.

11 hours ago, Bill Taylor said:

We were responsible for our sins, right up until the moment that Yashuah ha'Mashiah gave up the ghost.  Then the event, mis-characterized by the early Saints in the Creeds as Him descending into Hell.  In Matthew 27:50-53 we see the Biblical account of what He did.  He did descend into the grave where he, in the Spirit, went into Paradise/Abraham's Buxom (Luke 1:22-31) a.k.a. Paradise when Yashuah spoke to the thief hanging on the cross.

When Yashuah gave up the Ghost, all my sins, past, present and future, were paid for in that moment.  Therefore, my very being was bought and I became the Bond Servant of Yashuah with the responsibility to never shame nor, if possible, fail Him because of this existing condition.

Bill, I agree that once we are saved we are totally in His protective hands John 10:27-30. I agree that all our sins past, present and future. My responsibility as a Follower of Jesus Christ in to confess my sins 1 John 1:9,  However the verse begins with "If" Forgiveness is dependent upon my confessing my sins. 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Crows Landing , I'm not sure where that was . Anyway thanks for your service . Every time I think of my service in the Marine Corps I regret leaving . But as for fires I never recall seeing or hearing of any that would have made headlines . On base or any other place we trained we were restricted from using anything having to do with fire. Even smoking was banned when nightfall set in .

Crows Landing is located to the west of Modesto just to the south of Patterson. The base was sold to NASA, and because of the pollution in the soil caused by putting chemicals around the two runways and taxiways NASA could not remove enough soil (8'deep 8' wide) to totally remove all the chemicals. NASA required the runways and taxiways to be free of all the stuff , for some kind of space program. NASA sold the base to a developer who let is just sit. Today its used for races and a place to have fun driving cars for speed.  The tower has all but been destroyed by the pictures I see on the net.

Thanks for your service as well. God bless.