The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
ElenaCM

Please help me

I was raised Pentecostal as a child. In my late teens, I joined an UPC church. After being there for years, I couldn't align all their teachings with God's Word. Plus, I saw so many things wrong that I stopped going. I then moved to another state. I searched for a good church but couldn't find one. I believe in God with all my heart. It's just that the church itself has fallen from truth ... or has it not? Right now, I'm struggling. I'm surrounded by people who just can't (or refuse to) see what's going on in our world today. My family, and my husband, get mad at me because I won't help another family member trim pot. They get mad at me because I don't want to hang out with them. They put me down, do things to hurt me, spread malicious rumors, etc... then they laugh about it. I sometimes wonder if I'm wrong. God's Word says to not remove the old landmarks. I'm struggling to hold on. I live in an itty bitty town. There are no good churches here. I have no one to talk to about life in God's eyes. My family believes in the world that was and other stuff. They bash me because I do not. When I try to talk to my husband, he just tells me to shut-up. I talk to my kitty a lot. I hope and pray to find strength to carry on. I feel so alone and isolated.

3 hours ago, ElenaCM said:

I was raised Pentecostal as a child. In my late teens, I joined an UPC church.

Does the UPC church believe in the Trinity?

One of the best ways to find a good church is to go on their websites and read their statement of faith/confession.  If it lines up with what the bible teaches you are headed in the right direction.

I would first start with looking at the more conservative denominations, specifically Reformed in theology.  There is the OPC, PCA, URC and the like.  They are all bible believing, trinitarian denominations.

• Like 2

Not all churches are like the UPC.  There are many that teach the truth and I will pray that you find one.

3 hours ago, Faber said:

Does the UPC church believe in the Trinity?

They believe that the members of the Trinity are different manifestations of one God.  Here is a description of their beliefs:

https://carm.org/religious-movements/oneness-pentecostal/what-does-oneness-pentecostal-teach

• Like 1

I don't know what kind of churches are in your area, but I would suggest a Presbyterian church. Talk to the preacher and ask him what they belive and where it's taught in the Bible, which is basically what you'll hear in his sermons.

I'm sorry to hear that your family is treating you like that, but know that those who are persecuted have a reward in Heaven.

• Like 1