The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
ChristianNewbieForever

We are supposed to Obey Christ, and yet if we fail, we still get to go to heaven, simply because we put our faith in Him?

I'm going to start off by staying that I Just joined these forums for the entire purpose of writing the question that I'm about to ask.

My username is ChristianNewbieForever because I don't think anyone ever gets to the point to where they fully understand The Father, Son, Holy Spirit, or even the Word it's self.  I've been a believer since I was 6 years old.  Prayed the salvation prayer, and have been trying to live the Christian life ever since.  Now onto my question.

I realize before I even ask this, that it's going to open a can of worms.  Some believers think that once your saved your always saved no matter what.  Then there are some believers who think that they can some how get out of God's hand.  Perhaps by sinning too much, or loosing faith, the list goes on.  I am currently the type of believer who does think a person can make a choice to stop believing in God and go back to their old ways and as a result Hell after death.  Paul says

2 Timothy 4:7-8 New International Version (NIV)

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Believe it or not, I'm not all that concerned over the debate between Eternal Security and Conditional Security.  I don't want this post to turn into that.  However my question is related.

As a believer I've always known that I'm not perfect.  And that didn't start bothering me right away.  Nobody is perfect, and yet there is just something about the fact that I'm not getting any better and that bothers me a lot!  Isn't a true Christ Follower supposed to keep improving?  I don't know about you but I keep struggling with the same sins year after year.  In my long time search for answers, prayer is included in that as well, so is my own Bible listening.  (I use audio Bible because I am conflicted by a Learning Disability which messes with my ability to concentrate)  I happen to land on this series of teachings:  http://theos.org/media/category/14/ He feels that a true follower of Christ will do everything they can to obey Jesus in His teachings.  I know that I fail in at least several different things Jesus said.  Paul says we don't earn our way to heaven. 

Ephesians 2 New International Version (NIV)
Made Alive in Christ

2 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I got to humble myself and admit to you all that I don't understand. 

We are supposed to Obey Christ, and yet if we fail, we still get to go to heaven, simply because we put our faith in Him?

Staff

Hello and welcome to Christforums!

May I ask you a question before I proceed to address your OP? I'd like to address your thread title, "We are supposed to Obey Christ, and yet if we fail, we still get to go to heaven, simply because we put our faith in Him?"

First I'd like to say I am intrigued by your thread title. You stated "simply" because we put our faith in Him. My question to you is how simple is it for the natural man to exhibit faith? Secondly, by suggesting that "we" simply put our faith in Him makes me question your understanding of faith. Do you think we are saved by our "act" of faith, or are we saved by the object of our faith Jesus Christ, that is, His works alone?

Lemme give an example. The Law must be fulfilled perfectly. Please consider these two verses:

Deuteronomy 6:5, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

Leviticus 19:18, "You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD."

Both of these passages are quoted by Jesus in Matt. 22:37 and Matt. 22:39, respectively.

Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Matthew 22:39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Are you capable of doing that perfectly? That is loving your God, your neighbor let alone your enemy perfectly?

God bless,

William

1 minute ago, William said:

May I ask you a question before I proceed to address your OP? I'd like to address your thread title, "We are supposed to Obey Christ, and yet if we fail, we still get to go to heaven, simply because we put our faith in Him?"

First I'd like to say I am intrigued by your thread title. You stated "simply" because we put our faith in Him. My question to you is how simple is it for the natural man to exhibit faith? Secondly, by suggesting that "we" simply put our faith in Him makes me question your understanding of faith. Do you think we are saved by our "act" of faith, or are we saved by the object of our faith Jesus Christ, that is, His works alone?

God bless,

William

Those are really good questions.  I really don't know!

11 minutes ago, William said:

Lemme give an example. The Law must be fulfilled perfectly. Please consider these two verses:

Deuteronomy 6:5, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

Leviticus 19:18, "You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD."

Both of these passages are quoted by Jesus in Matt. 22:37 and Matt. 22:39, respectively.

Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Matthew 22:39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Are you capable of doing that perfectly? That is loving your God, your neighbor let alone your enemy perfectly?

God bless,

William

No I can't do those things perfectly, However that's not saying that maybe someone who has the Holy Spirit could? 

John 14:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 15:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

The main reason I'm on this forum is because the hard knocks of MY life have caused me to rethink things over and over again.  I have doubts and confusions I can't seem to get over.  The more you read of me, chances are, the more messed up in the head you will realize, I've become.

8 minutes ago, Faber said:

Hello CNF and welcome to ChristForums.

Are you wondering if you were saved to begin with or if you are saved now?

I grew up in a Christian Home.  My Dad is a former Minister.  I always went to Bible Believing Churches.  How I became a Christian was just a simple thing my Dad explained to me when I was merely 6.  He explained how Jesus died and rose again.  You confess your a sinner to him, and ask him to forgive you.  It was a very simple prayer.  It is a prayer that I ended up praying many times in my private life, because doubts kept creeping in.  I never doubted that Jesus really came to earth to save people from their sins.  What I always doubted is that He would really save me!  No matter how much time I spend in the word, going to Church, praying, and listening to other Bible Believing Teachers and Preachers, I have never been able to completely get rid of that doubt.  So I think the best honest answer I can give you is "I don't know, I just hope I don't end up in Hell"  Life has been bad enough, and it would really stink to go through all this pain only to end up in eternal torment forever and ever.

Edited by ChristianNewbieForever

Thanks for sharing that CNF. I too have really struggled with sins and doubt. When these doubts creep in I go back to the fact that I know that I called upon the name of the Lord Jesus in truth (Psalm 145:18; Romans 10:13) and He, as the Heart-knower of all (Acts 1:24) knows this. Every day I wake up and begin by thanking God for it and asking Him to show me how to live for Him today (Psalm 90:12) and how I should walk in humbleness before Him and be kind to others.

I have very recently been thinking about 2 Timothy 2:13.

Staff
14 hours ago, ChristianNewbieForever said:

No I can't do those things perfectly, However that's not saying that maybe someone who has the Holy Spirit could? 

John 14:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 15:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

The main reason I'm on this forum is because the hard knocks of MY life have caused me to rethink things over and over again.  I have doubts and confusions I can't seem to get over.  The more you read of me, chances are, the more messed up in the head you will realize, I've become.

First, lemme compliment you. Seldom does someone ever acknowledge in public when they don't know. Rarely is the quality of humility and humbleness found today in our society.

I'm sure you'll learn in our engagements that I like to ask questions. Regarding your post that I quoted, are you suggesting that another other than Jesus Christ could of fulfilled the Law perfectly? I'm sure you'll be quick to catch onto the implications. 

To answer your question and acknowledgment that we cannot even "love" our way to heaven lemme share:

We get to heaven by receiving Christ as Savior. We do this by faith, not by faith and any work of any kind. We have to understand that we are sinners and there's nothing we can do that will be good enough before God (Rom. 3:10-12; 6:23). If there were, then Jesus didn't need to die. But Jesus who is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14) died on the cross, was buried, and rose from the dead (1Corinthians 15:1-4). That is the gospel message. By trusting in Christ and believing in the gospel, we are declared right before God by faith (Romans 4:1-5; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8-9). In other words, when we receive Christ by faith (John 1:12), the righteousness of God is given to us (Philippians 3:9). This is called justification. Justification is a legal standing before God. It means that the one who has trusted in Christ by faith, is now declared legally righteous according to the law. Since the law includes loving God and loving our neighbors, those parts of the law must be fulfilled perfectly. It was Jesus who fulfilled the law without failure. So, we receive by faith what Christ did - which includes loving God and loving our neighbor. Therefore, everything we need is found in Jesus.

God bless,

William

• Like 1