The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
theophilus

Spam attacks on CARM

I recently logged on to the CARM forum and found this post.

SPAM Emergency

09-18-18, 08:30 PM

Please bear with us and pray for the situation. I post here because it is closed to the spammers, and cults, who may wish to do CARM harm

We are awash with spam. This AM another mod and myself had to delete 12+ pages of spam. When I first signed in this AM. I had 619 messages, now, in the evening, I have 724; most of them are spam.

Please pass that news along to other Evangelical Christians, telling them to not let non-Christians know. Drastic actions may need to happen, so be prepared for anything

CARM is an excellent site that provides a lot of good information about Christianity and apologetics.  We need to pray that they will find a way to defend themselves against these spam attacks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CDF47 said:

Wow that is a popular site.  They are being attacked by a cult it sounds like.

This isn't the first time they have been attacked.  In the past hackers have attacked their forum and succeeded in shutting it down.

40 minutes ago, theophilus said:

This isn't the first time they have been attacked.  In the past hackers have attacked their forum and succeeded in shutting it down.

Really...I wonder if it is a cult doing this or atheists.  They mentioned cult in the OP so that is what I am guessing.

3 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Really...I wonder if it is a cult doing this or atheists.  They mentioned cult in the OP so that is what I am guessing.

Because they stand for the truth of the Bible CARM has a lot of enemies.  Some are atheists and some are members of cults.  Their attackers have nothing in common with each other except for the fact that they are agents of Satan.

Staff

Seems that you fellas are pointing out their member base rather than the spammers. What makes anyone think the spammers which resulted in 12+ pages of spam were actually human and not spam bots from China?

This isn't anything new for CARM, maybe the overall amount or volume of spam was new but I have frequented their forum in the past and noticed spam bots active in the late hours of the night.

Really, this kinda thing falls in the lap of what most sites describe as a Site Admin but we refer to as the duty of Webmaster.

Several steps can be taken in order to prevent this kinda thing from happening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theophilus said:

Because they stand for the truth of the Bible CARM has a lot of enemies.  Some are atheists and some are members of cults.  Their attackers have nothing in common with each other except for the fact that they are agents of Satan.

I see.  So it is a mix of both.

4 hours ago, William said:

Seems that you fellas are pointing out their member base rather than the spammers. What makes anyone think the spammers which resulted in 12+ pages of spam were actually human and not spam bots from China?

This isn't anything new for CARM, maybe the overall amount or volume of spam was new but I have frequented their forum in the past and noticed spam bots active in the late hours of the night.

Really, this kinda thing falls in the lap of what most sites describe as a Site Admin but we refer to as the duty of Webmaster.

Several steps can be taken in order to prevent this kinda thing from happening.

Not sure.  I was just basing my comments on the article which mentioned cults and spammers attacking the site.  

Edited by CDF47