The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
justasking

Date of Revelation

Date of Revelation  

3 members have voted

1. 1. When was Revelation written?

• around 95 AD under Domitian
    • around 65 under Nero
    • during the year of the four emperors (69 AD)
    • Other (please state)

Staff
Just now, davidtaylorjr said:

Interesting. So they put their faith in Jesus Christ and called him Lord? They didn't even know who he was. No. All are saved by grace through faith.

In the OT. They put faith in the fact that God would send a redeemer, a messiah. Today we put faith in Jesus who we now know to be the Messiah. Is that exactly the same? No it is not, but both are saved by Grace through Faith.

Exactly, by grace through faith in the very same person.

And as you stated OT saints had a forward looking faith in the Messiah's coming and NT saints have a historical looking faith.

Staff
5 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

To put it in the most simple terms that I can:

Dispensational Theology is a system that sees the interpretation of Scripture as literal where possible and recognizes that God interacts with humanity differently in different periods of time.

This is not a controversial issue when you define it this way. Now, what different Dispensationalists believe may be controversial, yes. But Dispensational Theology in itself is not.

Example:  In the Old Testament followers of God were to be circumcised, make animal sacrifices, came to God through priests, etc.  In the New Testament, those things are no longer required.  That is two different time periods with two different interaction protocols with God.

Question, do you reject typology and how do you reconcile a literal interpretation to a vision when visions are interpreted by biblical authors throughout Scripture symbolically and figuratively?

3 minutes ago, William said:

Exactly, by grace through faith in the very same person.

And as you stated OT saints had a forward looking faith in the Messiah's coming and NT saints have a historical looking faith.

Ok.... so then you know that some (I would argue most) Dispensationalists believe this, so I'm not sure why you talk about bad soteriology with regard to Dispensational Theology.

2 minutes ago, William said:

Question, do you reject typology and how do you reconcile a literal interpretation to a vision when visions are interpreted by biblical authors throughout Scripture symbolically and figuratively?

I never said that everything is to be interpreted literally. That would be absurd.

9 minutes ago, Origen said:

Isn't this topic about the date of composition of Revelation?

Yes, good point. Sorry for getting off topic.

Staff
21 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Ok.... so then you know that some (I would argue most) Dispensationalists believe this, so I'm not sure why you talk about bad soteriology with regard to Dispensational Theology.

Again, I haven't ran into Dispenationalist before that didn't believe man was saved differently according to various dispensations.

My main disagreeing with Dispensationalist "used to be" over the identity of Israel/Church. But I have learned to just accept what someone professes and says verbatim. I do this with the Nicene Creed, when someone rejects the catholic church I haven't any issue acknowledging that they are not part of the Nicene church. When someone rejects the church being Israel I haven't any problem accepting that they are not Israel.

10 minutes ago, William said:

Again, I haven't ran into Dispenationalist before that didn't believe man was saved differently according to various dispensations

I guess it depends on your definition of different. Do I see a difference between the Old and New despite both being ultimately saved by grace through faith? Yes. Perhaps nuanced is a more accurate term. Ultimately, if you do not have faith in the Messiah, there is no salvation for you.

1 hour ago, William said:

Well, I'm thinking aloud and I draw to another book and scholarship in the past. Isaiah was said to be written after Jesus' birth by scholars which questioned the dating. Instead of a prophetical book it was deemed more historical written after the fact. I'd think the same implications could be said of Revelation if the events were written after a historical event. Someone please glean some light on the subject if I am wrong?

I believe Luke 21:24 & Revelation 11:2 are the same event, and there hasn't been denial of this with many preterist?

Revelation 11:2 below suggest this as a future event from the writing, that I believe is 95/96AD, as it uses a future tense?

" it is given" not "It was given"?

"The Holy city shall they tread" not "The Holy city have/did they tread"?

To make the historical interpretation work, you now have to symbolize everything in Revelation 11:2-15?

Two witnesses, plagues, streets, dead bodies, people watching, people exchanging gifts, city, earthquake, etc?

Luke 21:24KJV

And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Revelation 11:2KJV

2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Edited by Truth7t7

Staff

Sometimes we need to remember labels are helpful tools and not 'bad' words. 

Staff
5 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

I believe Luke 21:24 & Revelation 11:2 are the same event, and there hasn't been denial of this with many preterist?

Revelation 11:2 below suggest this as a future event from the writing, as it uses a future tense?

"For it is given" not "It was given"?

To make the historical interpretation work, you now have to symbolize everything in Revelation 11:2-15?

Two witnesses, plagues, streets, dead bodies, people watching, people exchanging gifts, city, earthquake, etc?

Luke 21:24KJV

And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Revelation 11:2KJV

2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Brother, lemme be blunt. You lost a lot of credibility with me when you contended for isolating a verse in Peter which rejected the context. Likewise, the verse you are pointing out now sits in a book from a vision, and you insinuate that symbolism would be an incorrect method and interpretation of a vision.

God bless,

William 

• Like 1

Staff

IMO  these introductory verses matter in the dating of The revelation of Jesus Christ 

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 
Rev 1:2  Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand

• Best Answer 1

Staff
9 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

Revelation 11:2 below suggest this as a future event from the writing, as it uses a future tense?

"For it is given" not "It was given"?

Sorry but the Greek verb is past tense.  It is an aorist.

11 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

The Greek verb in this case is future tense.

26 minutes ago, William said:

Brother, lemme be blunt. You lost a lot of credibility with me when you contended for isolating a verse in Peter which rejected the context. Likewise, the verse you are pointing out now sits in a book from a vision, and you insinuate that symbolism would be an incorrect method and interpretation of a vision.

God bless,

William 

Thanks for the response, we will disagree.

This isn't the only verse that refutes the preterist interpretation held by many?

Many preterist believe Verse 15 below Daniels abomination of desolation and Verse 21 beliw "The Great Trubulation" took place in the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 66-70AD?

As is clearly seen below, the abomination in verse 15, causes the Great Tribulation in verse 21, and in verse 29-30 immediately after this tribulation, the second advent takes place?

Many preterist are now faced with rejecting the second advent is seen in verse 29-30 through symbolism and allegory, because we know we'll this is yet a future event.

Matthew 24:15-31KJV

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Edited by Truth7t7

14 minutes ago, Becky said:

IMO  these introductory verses matter in the dating of The revelation of Jesus Christ 

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 
Rev 1:2  Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand

You show one fact, the book of Revelation was written to show "Future Events" and wasn't looking to a historical perspective.

You use the basic argument that many preterist use in verses 1 & 3 "Shortly" and "At Hand"?

Verse 19 below gives the interpretation of this?

"Things which are" such as chapters 1-4 in writing on the conditions of the 7 churches, and "Things Hereafter" chapters 5-22 that addresses future events that will proceed the second advent of Jesus Christ, final judgment,  and eternal kingdom?

Revelation 1:19KJV

19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

Edited by Truth7t7

15 minutes ago, Origen said:

Sorry but the Greek verb is past tense.  It is an aorist.

The Greek verb in this case is future tense.

I believe the verse that Becky has used cleary shows the vision projects future events, not historical?

Future: "Things Which Must Shortly Come To Pass"?

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 

Staff
9 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

I believe the verse that Becky has used cleary shows the vision projects future events, not historical?

The verb in 11:2 is an aorist, a past tense verb.  That is a fact and beyond dispute.

Staff

To my simple mind shortly and at hand did not / do not mean a few thousand years later.  In searching the Scriptures we see the use of shortly and at hand means what we would expect the terms to mean.

Staff
5 minutes ago, Becky said:

To my simple mind shortly and at hand did not / do not mean a few thousand years later.  In searching the Scriptures we see the use of shortly and at hand means what we would expect the terms to mean.

It is reasonable to think that the original readers would have had the same idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Becky said:

The book of Revelation is chocked full of the future "Second Advent" of Jesus Christ, what we gonna do now to support "shortly" and "at hand"?

Edited by Truth7t7

Staff
1 minute ago, Truth7t7 said:

The book of Revelation is chocked full of the future "Second Advent" of Jesus Christ, what we gonna do now?

No one said it wasn't.

Staff

We can agree, on this point,  Jesus Christ has no beginning or end.  

The Revelation is the Revelation of Jesus Christ . 

1 minute ago, Origen said:

No one said it wasn't.

Many preterist use "shortly" and "at hand" to support 66-70AD fulfillment?

The second advent throws a wrench in this theory, because we know this is a future event.

Just as many preterist use Matthew chapter 24 to support 66-70AD fulfillment of Daniels Abomination and Great Tribulation?

Matthew 24:29-30 shows the second advent "Immediately After The Tribulation", this throws another wrench in the gears of the preterist teaching, as they fall back to symbolize the "Very Clear" second advent seen? 

2 minutes ago, Becky said:

Becky it would help if you quote a poster, hard to keep track of who you are responding to?

Staff
3 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

The second advent throws a wrench in this theory, because we know this is a future event.

Just as many preterist use Matthew chapter 24 to support 66-70AD fulfillment of Daniels Abomination and Great Tribulation?

Matthew 24:29-30 shows the second advent "Immediately After The Tribulation", this throws another wrench in the gears of the preterist teaching, as they fall back to symbolize the "Very Clear" second advent seen? 

I would not doubt some do.  However I have not argued that or has anyone in these posts.  You are tilting at windmills.

1 minute ago, Origen said:

I am sure they do.  However I have not argued that or has anyone in these posts.  You are tilting at windmills.

Are you preterist in you eschatology?

Do you believe Matthew 24:15 & 24:21 in Daniels Abomination and the Great Tribulation were fulfilled in 66-70Ad?

Staff
Just now, Truth7t7 said:

Are you preterist in you eschatology?

Do you believe Matthew 24:15 & 24:21 in Daniels Abomination and the Great Tribulation were fulfilled in 66-70Ad?

Not interested.  Let it go.

Staff
10 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

I think in a lot of ways people are only talking louder and digging their heels in to support their personal theology. Wouldn't it be more fruitful to examine the why they believe this or that rather what they believe? I for one don't see how the why can be approached without examining the methods and principles used to approach the literature in question. 

Two posts are made in the below thread. Why does nobody want to address the methods and principle in our approach to Revelation? It is just common sense that if we don't agree on this basic foundation that the result of our disaggreance will result in different understanding, interpretation, and teaching.

• Best Answer 1

Staff
10 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

Becky it would help if you quote a poster, hard to keep track of who you are responding to?

I try to remember to 'quote' when responding to a person.  Sometimes my posts are not to a person but to the whole thread as in this post.