The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Anto9us

I wonder how the grass grows...

Rev 8:6

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

Rev 8:7

The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

That was first trumpet -- ALL GRASS BURNED UP!

Next chapter, we are at 5th trumpet --

Rev 9:1

And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Rev 9:2

And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

Rev 9:3

And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

Rev 9:4

And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

But...

the grass was GONE at first trumpet!

Well, on one board, someone said "well, grass GREW BACK during 2nd 3rd and 4th trumpets..."

hmmm...

These and other items in Revelation make me tend to think it is NOT strictly chronological, but sometimes 'achronological' like a DREAM - the visions are surreal

Rev 12:7

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Rev 12:8

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

Rev 12:9

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Didn't that happen before the world was created?  And here it is in the middle of Revelation?  Did it happen AGAIN?

This is in neither Amillennialism or Premillennialism subforums, I guess -- all eschatologies must face the scrambled chronology (or lack thereof) of how many times a third of the stars can fall from heaven

what thinkest thou?

I think all isn't literally every blade of grass simply because only a third of the trees were burnt. But it could also be that the grass didn't need to be there, the locusts had a special job of only attacking certain humans, maybe it's just a literary thing.