The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
AnnaTherese

Hi New Here and Traditional Catholic...

Hello,

Just a quick note to introduce myself since I'm new and wanting to ask if Traditional Catholics are welcome to engage in civil discussions and debates?

-Anna Therese

2 hours ago, AnnaTherese said:

Hello,

Just a quick note to introduce myself since I'm new and wanting to ask if Traditional Catholics are welcome to engage in civil discussions and debates?

-Anna Therese

Anna, per the terms of service 

We are a "fenced" community for Protestants.

• Best Answer 1

Staff
5 hours ago, AnnaTherese said:

Hello,

-Anna Therese

Hello AnnaTherese,

Welcome, but we are as already stated a fenced Protestant community. We are only open to people with a sincere inquire about the Protestant faith or to Protestants (no Catholic apologists).

Staff
5 hours ago, AnnaTherese said:

Hello,

-Anna Therese

Hello and welcome

Staff

Welcome to the forums !

4 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Anna, per the terms of service 

We are a "fenced" community for Protestants.

I see. Only Protestants. Okay, thank you.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the welcome.

25 minutes ago, AnnaTherese said:

I see. Only Protestants. Okay, thank you.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the welcome.

We aren't saying you can't be here. We would love to have you if you want to learn about Scripture and ask questions. We just will not allow Catholic doctrine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Staff
1 hour ago, davidtaylorjr said:

We aren't saying you can't be here. We would love to have you if you want to learn about Scripture and ask questions. We just will not allow Catholic doctrine.

Unfortunately, we have been subject to many Catholics in the past that reject Sola Scriptura. The tactics and arguments are too repetitive and the first objective of every Catholic apologist so far is to establish the Catholic church as the sole authority and interpreter.

We're open to sincere inquiry of the Protestant faith and to established Protestants which already profess one of the essential pillars or mini creeds Sola Scriptura.

21 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

What do you do when you meet a Traditional Catholic in real life? Do the same rules apply offline or do you simply refuse to converse with them on religious topics? Why, and for what purpose? I'm sincerely asking.

Can you imagine meeting someone and the topic of religion comes up. The person tell you that they would love to have a conversation but you're not allowed talk about your Protestant doctrines. They tell you that you can ask them about their interpretations of Scripture and ask questions based on their interpretations, but your own beliefs and views are to be set aside.

21 hours ago, William said:

Unfortunately, we have been subject to many Catholics in the past that reject Sola Scriptura. The tactics and arguments are too repetitive and the first objective of every Catholic apologist so far is to establish the Catholic church as the sole authority and interpreter.

We're open to sincere inquiry of the Protestant faith and to established Protestants which already profess one of the essential pillars or mini creeds Sola Scriptura.

I have to break the news to you. Every Catholic rejects Sola Scriptura.

Would you kindly explain to me what is unreasonable about a Catholic coming into a debate with the premise that the Catholic Church is the sole authority and infallible interpreter of Scripture?

If I wished to inquire about your particular Protestant sect (one among thousands of warring denominations) then I would do my own research. Frankly, I did not come here to be converted, but to engage in civil conversation and debate on religious issues specifically with those who do not share my faith. This is something I enjoy doing and take a real interest in for a number of reasons. It's too bad this forum does not allow the same kind of easygoing discussions that take place in real life among intelligent, religious-minded people.

Staff
28 minutes ago, AnnaTherese said:

What do you do when you meet a Traditional Catholic in real life? Do the same rules apply offline or do you simply refuse to converse with them on religious topics? Why, and for what purpose? I'm sincerely asking.

Can you imagine meeting someone and the topic of religion comes up. The person tell you that they would love to have a conversation but you're not allowed talk about your Protestant doctrines. They tell you that you can ask them about their interpretations of Scripture and ask questions based on their interpretations, but your own beliefs and views are to be set aside.

How open should we be to false doctrine and an apostate body? You're seemingly suggesting that all religions are equally valid and worthy of time and consideration.

We tend to focus on the Scriptures here on this board. And we are not open to atheism as an example. Seldom do those types of debates involve actually opening up the covers of the Scripture and diving deep to plumb the depths of God's word.

Already you're bringing into question "interpretation". As I already suggested the Catholic church must be first established as the sole authority and interpreter by Catholic apologists.

Would you kindly explain to me what is unreasonable about a Catholic coming into a debate with the premise that the Catholic Church is the sole authority and infallible interpreter of Scripture?

We do not show hospitality to those that preach another doctrine other than Christ crucified. We do not attribute salvation to Mary, the Saints before us, or anyone else including the Catholic church. Otherwise we'd be supporters and partakers of spreading the false doctrines.

If I wished to inquire about your particular Protestant sect (one among thousands of warring denominations) then I would do my own research. Frankly, I did not come here to be converted, but to engage in civil conversation and debate on religious issues specifically with those who do not share my faith. This is something I enjoy doing and take a real interest in for a number of reasons. It's too bad this forum does not allow the same kind of easygoing discussions that take place in real life among intelligent, religious-minded people.

I suggest you find another website then. I note that you refer to Protestants as a sect, but it is the Catholic church which is apostate and no longer bears resemblance to the universal catholic church.

I acknowledge your religious (man-centered) approach, but we are actually focused on theology (Christ-centered).

I do not share your "faith", which I firmly believe is in the wrong object.

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, AnnaTherese said:

Which is why the Catholic church is in SERIOUS error.

48 minutes ago, AnnaTherese said:

Because it is not Scriptural to say that the Catholic Church is the sole authority. They are in error. They have shown heretical teachings time and time again so why would we even consider them as the sole authority?  Scripture is the final authority, not the church.

49 minutes ago, AnnaTherese said:

It's too bad this forum does not allow the same kind of easygoing discussions that take place in real life among intelligent, religious-minded people.

That's not the purpose of this forum.

We do not have the same faith, we do not worship the same Jesus. The Catholic church doesn't follow the Bible, it follows its own ways.

• Like 1

https://www.christforums.org/topic/7524-praying-to-mary-is-an-attack-on-the-trinity/?tab=comments#comment-42050

The above is a link which demonstrates that praying to Mary is a terrible sin.

I just sent you a private message with my email if you have anything else to discuss concerning this subject, but I don't want to rehash over and over again something that I have already pointed out.

William,

It would be okay with me if anyone complains that they want to discuss the Bible and their faith to give them my email but I would first like to know what they would like to discuss - I am not going to deal with things like if people believe they are robots or space aliens. If they are JW's (or other anti-Trinitarians), Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals, Roman Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc, then it would be okay. My occupation usually affords me more free time than many other people have. Not sure how precisely it can be arranged (or if it can be arranged at all?) but the offer is open as you see the Lord lead.

Thanks

Faber

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

we do not worship the same Jesus

Despite what some may think, I believe your above assertion is absolutely correct.

• Like 1

Staff
1 hour ago, AnnaTherese said:

So we change the word 'sect' to the word 'order' and wow the differences with in the RCC show up. Well over 200 different orders.

Placing  actually anti-scriptural limits . on the RCC priest hood have work out so very well.  

Christians worship The Christ,  not a church 

1 hour ago, AnnaTherese said:

Protestants have no need to have the news broken that catholics reject Scripture Sola or other wise.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Faber said:

https://www.christforums.org/topic/7524-praying-to-mary-is-an-attack-on-the-trinity/?tab=comments#comment-42050

The above is a link which demonstrates that praying to Mary is a terrible sin.

I just sent you a private message with my email if you have anything else to discuss concerning this subject, but I don't want to rehash over and over again something that I have already pointed out.

William,

It would be okay with me if anyone complains that they want to discuss the Bible and their faith to give them my email but I would first like to know what they would like to discuss - I am not going to deal with things like if people believe they are robots or space aliens. If they are JW's (or other anti-Trinitarians), Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals, Roman Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc, then it would be okay. My occupation usually affords me more free time than many other people have. Not sure how precisely it can be arranged (or if it can be arranged at all?) but the offer is open as you see the Lord lead.

Thanks

Faber

That's a very generous offer.  

Staff
9 hours ago, Faber said:

William,

Thanks

Faber

@Faber

What presents a problem and security issue for our members are other questionable members trying to solicit and phish for information. I really frown upon such approach. Another idea is for you to start a club, and we'd restrict such people to your supervision and moderation in that club as long as those members can refrain from posting on the main board. I think could actually enforce that automatically by instead of banning to restrict a user group to a particular club. As a Premium member you have the option of creating a club and maintaining it. Frankly, none of us if I may speak on staff's behalf want to babysit problematic peoples that cause great harm through false doctrine to the Christian community. 

I definitely appreciate your sincere inquire. As a website we've decided to focus on a certain demographic of Christian and serve that particular community. As you can see this thread or run in with a Catholic always results in the same repetitive arguments. Really, we could just create a webpage or automatic email to Catholics which are banned with a page to the Five Solas.

Which in itself brings to mind an idea. We are always looking for a good staff member Faber. We could use a Staff News Editor at this time which creates pages for our site blog or we could develop another part of the site which I have yet to introduce. We have the option of creating CF pages which are very similar to Gotquestions.org. If you're interested, here's a first project to consider.

The Protestant Five Solas. (Five part mini series)

I'd be willing to suggest and expand on what I think each page covering each of the Five Solas should entail (historical context etc).

If you're interested Faber, lemme know. I'll run you by Becky and probably in no time you'll be the CF editorial staff member. No doubt you exhibit a strength and depth for Scriptural research papers. We'd love to utilize your talents.

God bless,

William

Greetings in Christ William,

You wrote: As you can see this thread or run in with a Catholic always results in the same repetitive arguments.

I can't argue with that. In fact, when I think of it when I correspond with someone who denies that the Lord Jesus is God and/or the Trinity it virtually always comes down to that and/or they simply refuse to believe how the words of the Bible are properly defined. It quickly descends into absurdity.

Thinking about it further I agree more and more that they should not be allowed. Their arguments have been answered (not just by me) countless times but still they continue on in their heresy no matter what - as the link I supplied about praying to others besides God clearly shows. Frankly speaking, I have gone on other web sites (mostly anti-Trinitarian) and so often my comments are not posted. It's not as if the truth isn't out there for them, it is - they just refuse to see it.

I plan on sending you a private message about the Staff News Editor tomorrow (Sunday). Thank you for the offer. Almost midnight here on the East Coast.

Faber

• Best Answer 1