The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Struggling with repentance

Certain sins were committed quite a few years ago that I repented of. What the struggle entails is as I pray and feel closer to God I see those sins in comparison with His holiness as even far more hideous than when I first repented of them. As I search my heart concerning this it's as if their detestableness is magnified when in comparison with His absolute beauty and purity. So feeling I did not repent before with a more clear appreciation and awe/fear of these attributes of God I repent again and often again and again begging for the blood of Christ to thoroughly cleanse me of this wickedness.

How does one know if it is of God through His Spirit making this conviction of the utter sinfulness of what one has done as opposed to being an attack by the Devil? 

Does anyone else struggle or has struggled like with what I have described? What have you done or still do with this situation?

Thanks

• Like 1

At times I'll remember my past and realize just how sinful I really was. But are truly and fully washed clean by the blood of Christ.

I would say the best way to respond to those things in the past is to recognize what we would be without God and thank Him in worship and deed.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 6:11 AM, Faber said:

Certain sins were committed quite a few years ago that I repented of. What the struggle entails is as I pray and feel closer to God I see those sins in comparison with His holiness as even far more hideous than when I first repented of them. As I search my heart concerning this it's as if their detestableness is magnified when in comparison with His absolute beauty and purity. So feeling I did not repent before with a more clear appreciation and awe/fear of these attributes of God I repent again and often again and again begging for the blood of Christ to thoroughly cleanse me of this wickedness.

How does one know if it is of God through His Spirit making this conviction of the utter sinfulness of what one has done as opposed to being an attack by the Devil? 

Does anyone else struggle or has struggled like with what I have described? What have you done or still do with this situation?

Thanks

Obviously this is a touchy issue. We need to make sure that we are truly repentant but at the same time make sure that we are not giving a stronghold to the Devil that will hold us back for something we have already been forgiven for.

I'm immediately drawn to Romans 8 but I want to flesh this out in my mind a little before I answer fully.

• Like 2

You know it's God's forgiveness when being in His fellowship always means more to you than anything in this life, because He has to put this "desire" in you to have it (Phil 2:13). We can't have this "desire" without Him continually "working" it in us!

It's when we are trusting in the arm of flesh (self or others) that results in disappointment and discouragement, because God never disappoints!

God bless!

Edited by NetChaplain
  • Like 2

Hi Faber. Sometimes I remember a particular sin that I confessed in the past and I'll feel the shame of it all over again. So I again ask forgiveness even though I know I was already forgiven. Then I wonder what this says about my faith, although I know, and God knows, and I know He and I both know that weakness is my prime attribute. It's kind of odd. I remind myself the we have this treasure in earthen vessels. Please pray for me, the enemy has a stronghold in my life that I've been struggling with for 40 years.
In His Love, amen.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:11 AM, Faber said:

Methinks it is always the devil getting you to look at how bad are past sins were. Anytime he can keep us looking back we are not going forward.We cannot sin bad enough to lose God's love.

Isa. 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Isa. 43:25 "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."

I believe it is a matter of "case closed."

green-yes-text-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7eeebcaef01fa8b23d15c1a6fc451aa.gif

• Like 1

True repentance.

I suppose one will never know the utter magnitude of even just one sin against God. Every time one thinks they have repented and then continue to dwell on His infinite goodness the thought arises, "How can I truly repent when I can never truly understand the zenith of His holiness?" 

Of course one should not throw one's hands up in the air and say that "since it isn't possible then why should I even repent at all?"

Still another way I ponder about this is that it always keeps me humble (or at least it should!). When I see or hear of the wickedness of others (usually in the news) I think within myself the awful things I have done and I can only silently breathe out a thought/prayer to God proclaiming, "but for the grace of God, so go I." 

• Like 1

Staff

Yes, I experience this a lot. But my suggestion, before blaming the Devil lets look at two verses. First Psalm 53 which was directed to the Jewish peoples of Israel.

53  The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;

there is none who does good.

2  God looks down from heaven

on the children of man

to see if there are any who understand,

who seek after God.

3  They have all fallen away;

together they have become corrupt;

there is none who does good,

not even one.

4  Have those who work evil no knowledge,

who eat up my people as they eat bread,

and do not call upon God?

5  There they are, in great terror,

where there is no terror!

For God scatters the bones of him who encamps against you;

you put them to shame, for God has rejected them.

6  Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!

When God restores the fortunes of his people,

let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.

And now consider Paul's writing and what he obviously penned from Psalm 53 to the Gentiles:

Romans 3:9-12

What then? Are we Jews 1 any better off? 2 No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10 as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;

11  no one understands;

no one seeks for God.

12  All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;

no one does good,

not even one.”

It is evident that there is not even one righteous and the Total Depravity or Inability of man pertains to everyone.

Listened to a sermon today a quote and point was made from Jonathan Edwards who said that one does not actually need the Scriptures to identify sin. His point was that we can identify sin in the world around us and in us by simply looking at the greatest problem directly in the mirror.

Confession and repentance is a fruit of the Spirit. I often pray over my struggles and appeal to God in a prayer similar to Augustine's prayer that sparked the Pelagian controversy, “Grant what Thou commandest, and command what Thou dost desire.”

I pray for the "what" that God may grant me, the ability through strength and the ability to apply the word and myself to what God commands.

Consider a more indepth reading of the Pelagian controversy:

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

“Grant what Thou commandest, and command what Thou dost desire.” This passage from the pen of Saint Augustine of Hippo...

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Nothing in my hands I bring

Simply to Thy cross I cling.

Since the Father looks at us through the righteousness of Christ I think that when repenting, both at conversion and throughout one's life, that we utterly cling to the righteousness of Christ.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, Faber said:

Thanks

God has forgiven you . You now have to forgive yourself . God never asks us to have a guilt complex pertaining to some sin or sins we committed in the past . Repentance is an on going process in the battle of the Spirit against the flesh and the flesh against the Spirit. It's part of the Christian life and duty . We cannot go through an entire day without sinning in some way or fashion . That is the major reason why prayers are never answered even when we put all of our strength and effort into them . We confess our faults to God and He forgives . 1st.John 1:9 . That's it .       M

Staff

A passage and reading to consider today Zechariah 3:1-5

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. 2 And the Lord said to Satan, l “The Lord rebuke you, O Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand 2 plucked from the fire?” 3 Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed with filthy garments. 4 And the angel said to those who were standing before him, “Remove the filthy garments from him.” And to him he said, “Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments.” 5 And I said, “Let them put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the Lord was standing by.

Note what Satan accuses Joshua of.