The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
erealmz

Guys, I hate myself

My aunt tells me not to hate myself. But it's a feeling that I can't control. Now it's gotten to the point that I need to speak to someone. So I'm choosing you. I will only discuss the surface of the issue here. If you want to know more, DM.

• Praying 1

Staff
21 minutes ago, erealmz said:

My aunt tells me not to hate myself. But it's a feeling that I can't control. Now it's gotten to the point that I need to speak to someone. So I'm choosing you. I will only discuss the surface of the issue here. If you want to know more, DM.

I have to ask why you hate yourself? There could be various reasons, failure to live up to a standard such as personal expectations or God's, a missed opportunity financially or evangelism etc etc.

There's a difference between being a lover of "self", and being selfless (loving others more than yourself), and even realizing that God loves His Elect, which in itself should motivate us to live more worthily.

If you can write about it more specifically without being too personal you may want to give it a try.

God bless,

William

Hello William. To tell you the truth, there is no single reason as to why I feel this. It's quite a number of things that have occurred throughout my entire life that lead up to this. I'm at the point now where I understand so much... see so much. I'm more aware than I've ever been and I notice things. I notice the way people treat me. I realize that it's me and not them. I know what has to change. I've only recently become aware of the attributes (some of them) that I need to work on. But they are complex. That it's why I never saw them before. But now I do. So I need to focus. Research. Figure out how to conquer this new, more powerful demon.

• Praying 1

Staff
24 minutes ago, erealmz said:

Hello William. To tell you the truth, there is no single reason as to why I feel this. It's quite a number of things that have occurred throughout my entire life that lead up to this. I'm at the point now where I understand so much... see so much. I'm more aware than I've ever been and I notice things. I notice the way people treat me. I realize that it's me and not them. I know what has to change. I've only recently become aware of the attributes (some of them) that I need to work on. But they are complex. That it's why I never saw them before. But now I do. So I need to focus. Research. Figure out how to conquer this new, more powerful demon.

Lemme reach out to you erealmz. It is important that you utilize introspection and identify the reasoning. Lemme share something with you. I am half Asian and half White (unknown because of adoption). My first day of 1st grade I was thrown to the ground in the school playground, spit on, and called a "chink". Throughout my public school experience, those I thought were friends would at times use me to get a laugh from the rest of the class. They'd pull back their eyes to slant them or talk absurd things with a oriental dialect. I have been called every name in the book from "pie face" to "gook" etc. I have been stabbed in the leg by a shank in school and even shot at on the street by a gun. I eventually believed them and I hated myself more than them which helped drive me to depression and suicide. My arms still bear the scars of razor marks some two to three decades later. Then I hated my kind, because I blamed them for the stereotype that everyone else believed about me. Maybe they have a legitimate reason for not liking you, but perhaps they could be more gracious to us as our Lord is to them?

Now lemme propose that the world sometimes devours its own (till this day I am mixed on how I am supposed to feel about that), but generally the world loves those that behave and act like them. Jesus told us that if the world hates us to remember the world hated him first. Anyone following our beloved Christ will be rejected by the world and condemned by it. If you're not following me, the world is everyone tied to the ideological system opposed to God. Look at what the world did to Jesus, they spit on him, mocked him, scourged him, crowned him in thorns, hammered spikes through his hands and feet then crucified Him. What do you think the world thinks about you or does to you day to day?

I pray that you find an actual Christian community in your local area or community. And experience Christ's love. There is no different color, race, ethnicity, ugly, beautiful, etc in the church of Christ. We are all red by the blood of Christ which was shed on our behalf.

God bless,

William

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

34 minutes ago, erealmz said:

I will pray for you.  

1 hour ago, erealmz said:

I realize that it's me and not them. I know what has to change. I've only recently become aware of the attributes (some of them) that I need to work on.

Thank you for sharing. Reading your comments I can’t help but empathize with you and reflect upon my own life. I’ve hated myself at times for sure. There are times even now I really hate myself. What I’m working on and seems to help tremendously is to focus on living for the Spirit and not the body. Placing God as the center of all that I do. When I fail in that I make bad decisions. When I focus on God and live for Him my life is so amazing. I’ll pray for you and ask that you pray for me to get God more in my life so I can keep focused on the Spirit 

Edited by Erik

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your reaching out. As I've stated in the past, I don't really believe in God. But still pray to him. The reason I pray is because I hope he is real. So i ask him, before every prayer, if he is real, to please answer me. If not, then I'll get no answer and things will be the same.

Tonight, I'll make a public declaration. I will pray, once again, to help me with my problems. And you with yours. If he is real and he doesn't answer me, I hope he at least answers the prayers towards you.

I don't think I'll get an answer from him. But I'll try once again to open communication. Thanks for responding.

Staff
7 hours ago, erealmz said:

Tonight, I'll make a public declaration. I will pray, once again, to help me with my problems. And you with yours. If he is real and he doesn't answer me, I hope he at least answers the prayers towards you.

Are you expecting some booming voice from the sky? Perhaps a bible to be thrown from a cloud? Maybe God will give into your demand or ultimatum. God has spoken through His word which is intended for His people and for those that are perishing.

Amazes me how many people approach God (unbelievers and believers alike) that reject the ordinary means by which God uses. God instrumentally uses His people to bring the Gospel to His lost people.

Whoever rejects the existence of God does so despite the historical validity of the New Testament.

Furthermore, the very next breath (and all the ones before) He allows us to take is an abundant testimony to His immense grace and deep love for us.

Staff
2 minutes ago, Faber said:

Whoever rejects the existence of God does so despite the historical validity of the New Testament.

Furthermore, the very next breath (and all the ones before) He allows us to take is an abundant testimony to His immense grace and deep love for us.

Right, the axiom (self evident) God exists may be found in general revelation (nature) and special revelation (Scripture).

Common grace abounds between unbelievers and believers alike Matthew 5:45.

• Like 2

What is the historical evidence that the Lord Jesus rose from the dead?

Many have defended that He did. Many have attempted to show that He didn't.

The evidence reveals that He did.

This is plenty of enough reason to believe in God, for not only does Christ teach He was/is God but demonstrated it through His resurrection. It's one thing to claim it, but another thing to prove it.

Christ did both. Does God exist?...Look unto Jesus.

Glory to His Name!

Staff
13 minutes ago, Faber said:

What is the historical evidence that the Lord Jesus rose from the dead?

Many have defended that He did. Many have attempted to show that He didn't.

The evidence reveals that He did.

This is plenty of enough reason to believe in God, for not only does Christ teach He was/is God but demonstrated it through His resurrection. It's one thing to claim it but another thing to prove it.

Christ did both.

If one rejects general revelation I highly doubt they'll demonstrate faith in special revelation. Matthew 5:45 demonstrates both general and special revelation. To glean from Matthew 5:45 a person must acknowledge God behind creation (makes the sun rise and rain fall), and also His word which defines the evil and good as well as the just and unjust.

If one does not believe they are evil and unjust or that God causes any of these graces to fall upon them for a time then what purpose does the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ serve?

Staff
1 minute ago, Faber said:

I am not sure what God may use to bring unto Himself all that are chosen by Him. 

The Spirit regenerates which plants the desire for God in the new hearts of His chosen. 

Until then no man seeks for God.

However, a lot of people struggle about whether God uses general revelation alone to save His chosen. Can a person glean from general revelation the resurrection of the Son without special revelation?

I think those that may glean from general revelation which refuse special revelation is a testimony unto itself.

1 minute ago, William said:

Can a person glean from general revelation the resurrection of the Son without special revelation?

I think that would be impossible.

Staff
7 minutes ago, Faber said:

I think that would be impossible.

So do I. But I'm sure loneliness may be used as preparation for a select person to glean from general revelation the personal Creator.

We may from special revelation systematically understand the means by which God uses to bring His Gospel to His people. Ezekiel 34:11; Psalm 23; Matthew 18:12.

And of course, the purpose and reason for the church which stands as a lighthouse for everyone lost at sea.

Hi erealmz, is this self-hate that you suffer from a sort of an acquired low self esteem because you've become aware that your personal character traits, and behavior, are such that those with whom you come in contact treat you with well deserved disdain? I suffer from something similar as I have learned that I am no good. 
Through my life I am constantly reminded that, despite the good that God manifests, of Himself, in me, I am still a sinner and will always be. In contrast to you though, I do believe in God and trust Jesus as savior. Did you know that the definition of repentance, without which there is no salvation, is coming to agreement with God that one is a sinner; unworthy - with no inner goodness to recommend oneself to Him? 

And also that God bestows forgiveness upon those who call on Him, sincerely, for mercy and salvation. It is also God's providence, that works in us by His calling, to shape circumstances in our lives so that we decide to turn to Him, and to call on Him for mercy. erealmz, I assure you that God is real, as you and I are, and He may very well be calling you to come to Him. I will pray for you. To God be all Glory. God's blessings in Jesus' name.

• Like 1