The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Are there any TV preachers that you watch?

Even though both of them are no longer alive I still enjoy the sermons by Ben Haden (Changed Lives) and Adrian Rogers (Love Worth Finding).

• Like 1

I rarely use my t.v., but one of the few that I would watch is Robert Jeffers who seems ok. I don't watch t.v. enough to bother with getting cable or satellite, so the only channels I get are TBN, Hillsong, and I forgot what the other two were, complete junk.

Now YouTube is a different story. I watch Wretched T.V. all the time on YouTube.

Along with Anwsers in Genisis, Ligoner Ministries, Desiring God ministries ect..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Faber said:

Even though both of them are no longer alive I still enjoy the sermons by Ben Haden (Changed Lives) and Adrian Rogers (Love Worth Finding).

I also like Adrian Rogers.

Chip Ingram

Skip Heitzig

Alistair Begg

David Jeremiah

• Like 1

Staff

Being in her 90s Mom lived with us ( she is now in long term care) She could hardly see, her old fingers did not work very well, She could not hear and hearing aids would NOT be used ! She is fumbling around in her room in the middle of the night .. Some how gets the TV up as loud as it would go.. Jolting the house with Jimmy Swaggart honkytonk  at 3 in the morning. :classic_wacko:

My favorites that I watch on Youtube, mostly when I'm working out are, Adrian Rogers, Erwin Lutzer, Michael Yussef, Alister Begg, Robbie Zacharias, RC Sproll, James D Kennedy, David Jeremiah.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:57 PM, Just Mike said:

Charles Stanley, John MacArthur, Michael Youssef, Winning Walk, Ed Young Sr., Robert Jeffers, Wretched.

That is a solid list.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Becky said:

Being in her 90s Mom lived with us ( she is now in long term care) She could hardly see, her old fingers did not work very well, She could not hear and hearing aids would NOT be used ! She is fumbling around in her room in the middle of the night .. Some how gets the TV up as loud as it would go.. Jolting the house with Jimmy Swaggart honkytonk  at 3 in the morning. :classic_wacko:

Jimmy has a new book out .......... " I Have Thinned ":classic_biggrin:

Edited by Matthew A.Duvall
spelling
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Faber said:

If I do happen to sift through the ' Christian channels ' and light upon a good sermon given by a reputable minister I am delighted that I can continue his sermon in regular bible studies . Last night I caught Chuck Missler teaching on Ephesians chapter 6 . I was surprised at how much I was missing from that book and chapter . It taught me that if I read passages slowly the meaning comes naturally . Instead of my tendency to read too fast .

• Like 1

Staff

"Are there any TV preachers that you watch?"

Nope, all my preferred theologians died long ago. I prefer dead theologians whose works have stood against time, criticism, and scrutiny.

But you can hear their teaching conveyed by many credible theologians today.

Something I do when listening to preachers on T.V. or elsewhere is to think about how I would preach that sermon if it were me, even though I’m not qualified to be a preacher. When I hear an interpretation or doctrine that I disagree with I try to find areas of the scriptures they left out or maybe some verses they associated with each other that shouldn’t have been. This way I can sharpen my skills of knowing what to say when discussing biblical topics with others and I sometimes do have to adjust my own thinking. I still think it’s best to listen to preaching that’s close to your own beliefs but that’s not always possible.

Staff
1 minute ago, Grafted Branch said:

I still think it’s best to listen to preaching that’s close to your own beliefs but that’s not always possible.

They call that an echo chamber. But I relate to what you mean, given your theology is orthodox (true and correct) then some think it more desirable to be surrounded by likeminded people.

When I first was introduced to Apologetics I used to stand in front of the television and practice my arguments against those projected on television. There was plenty to refute especially if one finds themselves in front of CBN or TBN :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, William said:

When I first was introduced to Apologetics I used to stand in front of the television and practice my arguments against those projected on television. 

It would be great to see this. Did you record yourself?

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, William said:

"Are there any TV preachers that you watch?"

Nope, all my preferred theologians died long ago. I prefer dead theologians whose works have stood against time, criticism, and scrutiny.

But you can hear their teaching conveyed by many credible theologians today.

You're right William. The days of Calvin ,Knox, Farrell and Beza are gone . But I cannot complain because I am fortunate to have a handsome collection of books and  material relative to the writings of the reformers  . Very difficult to put material like that down when the Holy Spirit is laying it upon the heart. I've never experienced a moment when I grew tired or lost interest while reading books from John Owens, Thomas Watson or Richard Sibbs and a host of others for instance. Jesus was so correct when He stated to his true disciples , " And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Jn.8:32 

spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grafted Branch said:

Something I do when listening to preachers on T.V. or elsewhere is to think about how I would preach that sermon if it were me, even though I’m not qualified to be a preacher. When I hear an interpretation or doctrine that I disagree with I try to find areas of the scriptures they left out or maybe some verses they associated with each other that shouldn’t have been. This way I can sharpen my skills of knowing what to say when discussing biblical topics with others and I sometimes do have to adjust my own thinking. I still think it’s best to listen to preaching that’s close to your own beliefs but that’s not always possible.

This is why the Spirit of discernment  is so vital. If anyone is without the indwelling Holy Spirit they cannot determine what is actual truth as taught by Christ Himself and experience the Holy Spirit laying it upon the heart of the true son of God , or not having the discernment of the Spirit that only leads to  watered down salvation and condemnation .

I suggest that you get the book my Matthew Meade , ' The Almost Christian Discovered '. I think it is available by Puritan Press . Great reading that tears down the subject of ' confession without possession ' compared to the genuine salvation experienced only by God's true people .

spelling
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

This is why the Spirit of discernment  is so vital. If anyone is without the indwelling Holy Spirit they cannot determine what is actual truth as taught by Christ Himself and experience the Holy Spirit laying it upon the heart of the true son of God , or not having the discernment of the Spirit that only leads to  watered down salvation and condemnation .

I suggest that you get the book my Matthew Meade , ' The Almost Christian Discovered '. I think it is available by Puritan Press . Great reading that tears down the subject of ' confession without possession ' compared to the genuine salvation experienced only by God's true people .

God's true people accept Jesus as Lord and Savior truly in their hearts.  They love God and neighbor.

11 hours ago, CDF47 said:

God's true people accept Jesus as Lord and Savior truly in their hearts.  They love God and neighbor.

The word 'accept' is never used in Holy Scripture . Salvation is received,,,,,,, never accepted !     M

7 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

The word 'accept' is never used in Holy Scripture . Salvation is received,,,,,,, never accepted !     M

I see your point.