The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Is being hypnotized a sin?

I was watching some crime show the other day with my sister and in the show a guy claimed to have witnessed some terrible murder the police were investigating. His memory of some of the details and events were a little bit fuzzy, so the police asked and the man agreed to undergo hypnosis in order to give the police more descriptive details as to what happened.

Is it a sin to be hypnotized in such a situation? What about for other less significant things?

Thanks

I don't know of a reason it would be sinful except that sometimes drugs are used to make it easier sometimes.

It could be dangerous though to allow your mind to become passive. And the origins of hypnotism are occultic. It's probably a good idea to just stay away from it for self help reasons.

Edited by Innerfire89
Added more.
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Faber said:

Is it a sin to be hypnotized in such a situation?

Why would you think it may be a sin?

Edited by Erik

Staff
6 minutes ago, Erik said:

Why would you think it may be a sin?

Maybe because drug induced altered states of consciousness are known as scorcery?

10 minutes ago, William said:

Maybe because drug induced altered states of consciousness are known as scorcery?

Oh lol. As far as is being hypnotized in the scenario described of course it is not a sin. I can’t comment on if it’s a sin for other less significant things without understanding the less significant situation. As long as you are walking after the Spirit and not your body you should have no concern of sin. 

From what I know of hypnotism, the question of sin connects to the wider question of world view. I would find it sinful knowing what I do about how many people use it.

At best, it's like leaving your house unlocked and popping out for a few hours. Sometimes nothing happens at all, sometimes a prankster might pop round and rearrange your furniture (like in the popular hypnosis stage shows) and maybe sometimes a squatter might move in who might be hard to get out. 

As for me and my house, I lock the door.

• Like 4
  • Best Answer 1

Staff
18 minutes ago, Red Sky at Morning said:

From what I know of hypnotism, the question of sin connects to the wider question of world view. I would find it sinful knowing what I do about how many people use it.

At best, it's like leaving your house unlocked and popping out for a few hours. Sometimes nothing happens at all, sometimes a prankster might pop round and rearrange your furniture (like in the popular hypnosis stage shows) and maybe sometimes a squatter might move in who might be hard to get out. 

As for me and my house, I lock the door.

I agree. Regarding intruders, demonic spirits excluded how much is a person susceptible to outside influence during hypnotic states? Are they susceptible to suggestion by the hypnotist and/or investigators which may of subjected the person to identifying images beforehand? And how much merit is given a testimony in the context of the OP which is founded or changed after (I don't recall, but now I do) a non drug or drug induced altered state of consciousness? How much credibility should that kinda testimony be merited (under the influence or other means of alternative states of consciousness) in a court of law?

How do we reconcile Scriptures which command us to be sober minded at all times?

• Like 5