The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Anto9us

The phrase "Old Testament" in the New Testament

2Co 3:14  NKJV

But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.

2Co 3:14  KJV

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

This was unusual to me, the New Testament using the exact phrase "Old Testament" in the writing of 2 Corinthians, which was of course at a time when there was no finished New Testament, for that matter, also before Council of Jamnia where the Jews delineated exactly what was in what we know as "the Old Testament".

The usual phrases in the NT that address the OT are like "The Law and the Prophets", "Moses", the Scriptures, and so forth.

Obviously, the TESTAMENTS, or COVENANTS themselves -- predate a finished, canonized list of writings.

Mat 26:28

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anto9us said:

This was unusual to me, the New Testament using the exact phrase "Old Testament" in the writing of 2 Corinthians, which was of course at a time when there was no finished New Testament, for that matter, also before Council of Jamnia where the Jews delineated exactly what was in what we know as "the Old Testament".

The usual phrases in the NT that address the OT are like "The Law and the Prophets", "Moses", the Scriptures, and so forth.

Obviously, the TESTAMENTS, or COVENANTS themselves -- predate a finished, canonized list of writings.

Mat 26:28

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Nice find.  That is interesting that the words are written in there prior to the canonized list of writings.

Mar 14:24
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Luk 22:20
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1Co 11:25
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

2Co 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Heb 9:15
And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Edited by Anto9us
add something

10 minutes ago, Anto9us said:

Mar 14:24
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Luk 22:20
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1Co 11:25
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

2Co 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Heb 9:15
And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

I didn't realize it is called the first testament in Hebrews. They probably referred to it as the Old Testament in the Bible because of the common use of the words New Testament in the Bible.

It seems to me that both Paul, in his epistles, and the author of Hebrews -- both refer to the "first covenant" as "about to pass away".

Heb 8:13

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Edited by Anto9us
add something
  • Like 1

Staff

Interesting,

With respect to 2 Corinthians 3:14  "But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away."

The veil:

Exodus 34:32-35

29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God.4 30 Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 But Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the leaders of the congregation returned to him, and Moses talked with them. 32 Afterward all the people of Israel came near, and he commanded them all that the Lord had spoken with him in Mount Sinai. 33 And when Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face.

34 Whenever Moses went in before the Lord to speak with him, he would remove the veil, until he came out. And when he came out and told the people of Israel what he was commanded, 35 the people of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face was shining. And Moses would put the veil over his face again, until he went in to speak with him.

Considering the contrast in John 1:16-18

John 1:16  For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
John 1:17  For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
John 1:18  No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

The veil (type) prevented seeing the light on the face of Moses and is symbolically identical to that which prevented the people from seeing the transitory character of his Law rather than the grace and truth in the permanent character of Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 8:20 To the teaching and to the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn.

Mal 4:2  But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.

Rom 11:7  What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened,
Rom 11:8  as it is written, "God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear, down to this very day."

Rom 11:25  Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

• Like 1