The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Join me on Death Row

I've ready that there are around 150,000 people that die every day (almost 2 people per second) in the world. I think about how each and every one of us are on "Death Row." Sooner or later our day and time will come. Jonathan Edwards stated that "the arrows of death fly unseen in noon-day; the sharpest sight can't discern them." Indeed, we have no authority as to the day of our death (Ecclesiastes 8:8). We spend our lives as a shadow (Ecclesiastes 6:12), a vapor (James 4:14) and a mere breath (Psalm 144:4). Once departed we are as water spilled on the ground which can not be gathered up again (2 Samuel 14:14).

It is not gloom and doom for the believer. Today, Christ told the penitent thief, he would be with Him in Paradise (Luke 23:43). At the moment of death Jesus received the spirit of Stephen (Acts 7:59; cf. Ecclesiastes 12:7). Death is the doorway into the presence of God. It will be glorious beyond description.

• Like 4

I was going to a start a new thread about the following discussion but I think it is closely related to what I have written in the OP. My question is, when was the time in your life when you felt that it was the closest you came to dying and yet the Lord in His sovereignty allowed you to live? It could be a singular moment or over a span of time.

I'll go first. I enjoyed going for a 6 mile run around the White Hills section of Shelton, Connecticut. It was summer vacation and I woke up and had breakfast rather late (maybe 10am). I then drove to the Plumb Memorial Library to hang out and read before I would park my car at Elizabeth Shelton Elementary School and go for my run which I would often do during the summer vacation.

I was at the library for about 2 hours and figured my breakfast had digested and so I was ready to drive to the school to do my run. On my way out I saw a book about Shelton dated from 1926 with pictures of Shelton 50 years ago (1876). It was very interesting going through all the very old pictures of my home town. I am not sure how long I was there but it was quite awhile. I finished with the book and was ready to go. I drove to the school and I saw the entrance roped off with police tape. I was curious and somewhat disappointed but I drove and parked my car at the White Hills Recreation Center which was a little more than a mile away. I then did my run. When I came back home I found out that 2 men were murdered and the one who carried out the murders committed suicide at Elizabeth Shelton School - very close to where I always parked my car. Had I not stayed at the library longer I figured it would have been about the same time this tragedy occurred.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/08/25/Three-custodians-were-shot-and-killed-Thursday-at-an/4782588484800/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Faber said:

I was going to a start a new thread about the following discussion but I think it is closely related to what I have written in the OP. My question is, when was the time in your life when you felt that it was the closest you came to dying and yet the Lord in His sovereignty allowed you to live? It could be a singular moment or over a span of time.

I'll go first. I enjoyed going for a 6 mile run around the White Hills section of Shelton, Connecticut. It was summer vacation so I woke up and had breakfast rather late (maybe 10am) and then I went to the Plum Memorial Library to hang out and read before I would park my car at Elizabeth Shelton Elementary School and go for my run which I would often do during the summer vacation.

I was at the library for about 2 hours and figured my breakfast had digested and so I was ready to drive to the school to do my run. On my way out I saw a book about Shelton dated from 1926 with pictures of Shelton 50 years ago (1876). It was very interesting going through all the very old pictures of my home town. I am not sure how long I was there but it was quite awhile. I finished with the book and was ready to go. I drive to the school and I see the entrance roped off with police tape. I was curious and somewhat disappointed but I drove and parked my car at the White Hills Recreation Center about a mile or so away. I then did my run. When came home I found out that 2 men were murdered and the another who carried out the murders committed suicide at Elizabeth Shelton School - very close to where I always parked my car. Had I not stayed at the library longer I figured it would have been about the same time this tragedy occurred.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/08/25/Three-custodians-were-shot-and-killed-Thursday-at-an/4782588484800/

Mine was when I was hit by a car at the age of 9.  I was thrown from the middle of the street to the curb where I hit the back of my head against the curb and fractured my skull.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Faber said:

Ouch times 10! How long was the recovery?

Months long (couple weeks in hospital if I remember right).  I had head aches for a while after that.  I was knocked out cold.  I woke up later the same night but I couldn't remember anything that happened.  I had a bad concussion. 

Edited by CDF47

There were a lot of dumb things I did in my younger years, we used to go to a railroad trestle and hang off the side when the train came by. Not to mention my totally careless use of drugs.

15 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

There were a lot of dumb things I did in my younger years, we used to go to a railroad trestle and hang off the side when the train came by. Not to mention my totally careless use of drugs.

You were hanging off the side of the trestle bridge?  How many feet up were you?

On 10/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, CDF47 said:

You were hanging off the side of the trestle bridge?  How many feet up were you?

I don't know exactly, but high enough to break my neck for sure. Lol.

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

I don't know exactly, but high enough to break my neck for sure. Lol.

Wow, I couldn't imagine doing that. LOL

• Like 1

Staff

In the late 70s.. John was a very good bowler carrying a 195+ average He loved it and never missed.. Some time in June he was to sub. He for got..We were upset and busy, the sale of our house had fallen through that day and we were wondering what was the next step.. The kids were at Grandmas house most everything had been boxed up and put in storage.  Our neighbours were getting reading to go camping..It is now some time after 10.. Not being properly dress i am griping at Lori for knocking, most likely wanted to borrow some coffee for morning. . I turned the dead bolt then quickly redid it. Something said DONT  Glanced out the window  some things are happening  at the same time..Noticed  3 guys on the porch only seeing one and  he had a hat pulled down and a blue 'cowboy bandanna" over his mouth and nose ,, He is saying let me in I say NO i dont know you....Yeah but you will  ... I am John Lennon . I run back to bed room John John get your pants on and get the gun those guys got masks on.  Our niece was not made to mind so we had emptied  the shells from the old 30-30  1894 model .. Mind you nothing is where it should be we were half way moved out. John knowing the floor plan figured he could get up the hall and see what was going on.. about that time they kicked the door in. As the creep was walking into our home John shoved that big empty heavy rifle under his chin knocking him over the one chair left in the living room. The bad guys shotgun went off into the hall ceiling. I have jumped out the window to get help I could not get over the 6' 6'' fence. I hear the gun i know john does not have a loaded gun..  quickly i see him looking for the shells ...  I run around to see the car a mid 60s Mustang most likely dark green with a vinal   top.  Seems John scared them off.  At that time Bad guys were doing the home invasion stuff. in our area. Killing raping and stealing. 

I was so scared. totally upset Besides i had broke more like cracked my heel bone when i jumped out the window.  Looking back 

John never misses bowling Had he gone i would have been home alone 

Our kids were not home to worry about their safety

The 2 guys on the porch did not rush John 

John did not kill anyone 

A couple weeks later an older couple was hit and one of them died. sounded to us like the same guys. 

God is good. 

We sold the house in about a week to the realitors kid who was a a biker. We stayed at the neighbours place while they went camping i could not stay in that house, The gun stayed  loaded. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Becky said:

In the late 70s.. John was a very good bowler carrying a 195+ average He loved it and never missed.. Some time in June he was to sub. He for got..We were upset and busy, the sale of our house had fallen through that day and we were wondering what was the next step.. The kids were at Grandmas house most everything had been boxed up and put in storage.  Our neighbours were getting reading to go camping..It is now some time after 10.. Not being properly dress i am griping at Lori for knocking, most likely wanted to borrow some coffee for morning. . I turned the dead bolt then quickly redid it. Something said DONT  Glanced out the window  some things are happening  at the same time..Noticed  3 guys on the porch only seeing one and  he had a hat pulled down and a blue 'cowboy bandanna" over his mouth and nose ,, He is saying let me in I say NO i dont know you....Yeah but you will  ... I am John Lennon . I run back to bed room John John get your pants on and get the gun those guys got masks on.  Our niece was not made to mind so we had emptied  the shells from the old 30-30  1894 model .. Mind you nothing is where it should be we were half way moved out. John knowing the floor plan figured he could get up the hall and see what was going on.. about that time they kicked the door in. As the creep was walking into our home John shoved that big empty heavy rifle under his chin knocking him over the one chair left in the living room. The bad guys shotgun went off into the hall ceiling. I have jumped out the window to get help I could not get over the 6' 6'' fence. I hear the gun i know john does not have a loaded gun..  quickly i see him looking for the shells ...  I run around to see the car a mid 60s Mustang most likely dark green with a vinal   top.  Seems John scared them off.  At that time Bad guys were doing the home invasion stuff. in our area. Killing raping and stealing. 

I was so scared. totally upset Besides i had broke more like cracked my heel bone when i jumped out the window.  Looking back 

John never misses bowling Had he gone i would have been home alone 

Our kids were not home to worry about their safety

The 2 guys on the porch did not rush John 

John did not kill anyone 

A couple weeks later an older couple was hit and one of them died. sounded to us like the same guys. 

God is good. 

We sold the house in about a week to the realitors kid who was a a biker. We stayed at the neighbours place while they went camping i could not stay in that house, The gun stayed  loaded. 

Wow, that is quite a story.  You were very blessed that day.  

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, I contracted a lethal infection, lethal. I was dying. My Wife was with me in quarantine in Hospital. I knew in my heart that I was certainly going to die. I remember vividly getting so tired fighting and struggling against the pathogen and that I began to just relax, I took a deep breath in and began to know and accept that I was going Home. I just stopped resisting. My last greatest earthly urge and request was to get someone to take my clothes away as I knew that where I was going, I was to be given new and beautiful clothes and that I was going to be very happy in a place of painfully beautiful prairies and the greenest grass and the cleanest purest water and that my animals of my childhood, then long dead, were just there, waiting with Jesus for me. I can't remember ever being more aware of my God at any time in my 30 years since being Saved than in those few moments. I knew Jesus had paid for EVERYTHING, that my debt was cancelled and my place with Him was assured, only because of what He had done. My Wife then pleaded with the Lord to preserve me and He amazingly answered her and I am still, to my amazement, here. Many may scoff and criticize but as my friend, now in Glory said, " the man with the experience has nothing to fear from the man with the argument".

Edited by Horatius
Typo.
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, Horatius said:

I can't remember ever being more aware of my God at any time in my 30 years since being Saved than in those few moments. I knew Jesus had paid for EVERYTHING, that my debt was cancelled and my place with Him was assured, only because of what He had done.

Amen brother, we that are in Christ should not fear death. Our faith give us peace those goes beyond understanding. Not only the fear of death but also the fear of calamity. Many times in the mission field of the Oakland ghettos I found myself in compromising situations. My mind tried to get me to fear but I realized God had control so I stayed the course. I have seen God change the mind of evildoers more than once. God is good.

green-yes-text-smiley-emoticon.gif.d7eeebcaef01fa8b23d15c1a6fc451aa.gif

• Like 1