The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Poll Question: What is most damaging to Jesus' Christian religion?

What is most damaging to Jesus' Christian religion?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Poll options

• Works Righteousness (horrible soteriology)
    • False Chrisitan Eschatology (horrible end times interpretations result in failed prophecy and less credibility)
    • Prosperity Doctrine (hoard your gold or bribe the god of your world)
    • Judgmental Christians (from a holier than thou attitude to criticisms when the perfume is being poured)
    • Charismania (blaming the Holy Spirit for horrible interpretations, spiritual drunkness, falling over backwards, gibberish, etc)
    • Theistic Evolution (Evolution weakens faith, undermines the arguments for God's existence, and is a fundamental tenet of all unbelievers)

Staff

So what say you? Multiple choices are allowed, and feel free to expand on why you think what is most damaging!

Staff

Prosperity Doctrine (hoard your gold or bribe the god of your world)

Judgmental Christians (from a holier than thou attitude or complaints when the perfume is being poured)

Works Righteousness (horrible soteriology)

Chrisitan Eschatology (horrible end times interpretations)

Staff
12 minutes ago, Becky said:

Prosperity Doctrine (hoard your gold or bribe the god of your world)

Judgmental Christians (from a holier than thou attitude or complaints when the perfume is being poured)

Chrisitan Eschatology (horrible end times interpretations)

Ha! I respect the order of damage, but this I have against you, did you vote? :classic_laugh:

I picked work and prosperity. Both invoke the sinful flesh and seem to be most prevalent.

But then again there's plenty of cults centered around the end times

Staff
8 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

But then again there's plenty of cults centered around the end times

I just edited the Eschatology reason, "failed prophecy and less credibility". Whenever a failed prophecy in the name of Christianity becomes popular in the media then I think we are all negatively impacted. How can anyone believe when what we claim as truth becomes proven false?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, William said:

I just edited the Eschatology reason, "failed prophecy and less credibility". Whenever a failed prophecy in the name of Christianity becomes popular in the media then I think we are all negatively impacted. How can anyone believe when we what we claim as truth becomes proven as false?

What about carismatic insanity? Seems like a good term. Lol.

Rolling around on the floor, speaking jibberish, and all that nonsense is attributed to the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Staff
34 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

Rolling around on the floor, speaking jibberish, and all that nonsense is attributed to the rest of us.

Added!

• Like 2

Works Righteousness (the RCC)

Charismania (as said above, this is attributed to the rest of us)

Judgmental Christians (some Christians are overly judgmental)

• Like 1

Staff
On 10/15/2018 at 12:28 AM, Innerfire89 said:

I have literally watched/seen that more then once. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Becky said:

I have literally watched/seen that more then once. 

Same here.  I was prayed for in this way at a charismatic church but I didn't fall on the floor or do anything like that.  I haven't been back to that church since.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Same here.  I was prayed for in this way at a charismatic church but I didn't fall on the floor or do anything like that.  I haven't been back to that church since.

I did, but I faked it. Lol

Maybe I can't be hypnotized.

• Like 2

Staff
1 minute ago, Innerfire89 said:

I did, but I faked it. Lol

Maybe I can't be hypnotized.

Let's hope you cannot at least be put under a hypnotic delusion 2 Thessalonians 2:10–12 :classic_ninja:

• Like 2

I picked 3-Works, Prosperity, and Judging because those 3 are amongst the biggest "delusions" that I have witnessed always adding up to "spiritually bad" actions like "prideful boasting", "believing one's self to be perfect/sinless no matter how wicked one's actions are" and "personal targeting".(personally involving one's self with someone's sins or actions instead of working out one's own spiritual issues)

• Like 3

[3] This was my third choice; though I don't think it is as common as most think. If someone keeps the law but not to be saved they are usually labeled as such.

Chrisitan Eschatology (horrible end times interpretations result in failed prophecy and less credibility)

Did not choose. I don't think someone's idea of how the end works out is that important to undermining their faith.

Judgmental Christians (from a holier than thou attitude to criticisms when the perfume is being poured)

[1] This is my first choice as it calls for judgment on others.

Charismania (blaming the Holy Spirit for horrible interpretations, spiritual drunkness, falling over backwards, gibberish, etc)

Did not choose. Although this is a circus, it does not affect the mainstream. This kind usually keep to their own.

Theistic Evolution (Evolution weakens faith, undermines the arguments for God's existence, and is a fundamental tenet of all unbelievers)

[2] This is my second choice. In an information age knowledge is increasing, false knowledge right along with it.  :RpS_thumbup:

• Like 3

Staff
3 hours ago, deade said:

I don't think someone's idea of how the end works out is that important to undermining their faith.

When I wrote that I wasn't thinking so much about a person's individual faith but the theological camp or the church which is promoting falsehood in the end times.

Lemme give an example, church A in the name of Christianity predicts the end on a certain date, blood moon, or current event. The date, blood moon, or current event comes and goes nothing happens. To the unbeliever I think he has more of a reason to doubt the church's or Christianity's teaching. "We" have been proven wrong.

Now lets go through a historical survey from the perspective of an analytical seeker and they find hundreds if not thousands of false predictions made by the church, and a theological camp they may not be able to differentiate from other sound camps.

I'll leave you to decide how that affects Christianity, I just wanted to clarify what I had in mind when I wrote "less credibility".

This poll has been an eye opener, I'm surprised I don't see eye to eye with so many others.

God bless,

William

On 10/14/2018 at 10:52 PM, William said:

So what say you? Multiple choices are allowed, and feel free to expand on why you think what is most damaging!

Every one is bad

Staff
2 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

Every one is bad

Wow, I agree and voted for each one equally. Did you vote?

3 minutes ago, William said:

Wow, I agree and voted for each one equally. Did you vote?

I gave three, however they are all bad.

Go ahead William, are you gonna put me in as guilty of all categories?

Your way tooooo late, my wife did it 30 years ago! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Truth7t7
  • Haha 1

Staff
14 minutes ago, Erik said:

Christian Creeds that are incorrect are at the top of my list. 

I assumed that the audience or membership voting in the polls were Protestant which follow the principal of Sola Scriptura. Councils/and Synods that wrote the creeds are not exempt from the principal. Following the principal should separate early Councils/Creeds and later Councils/Creeds which abandoned the principal, and thus contradict.

11 hours ago, deade said:

[3] This was my third choice; though I don't think it is as common as most think. If someone keeps the law but not to be saved they are usually labeled as such.

Chrisitan Eschatology (horrible end times interpretations result in failed prophecy and less credibility)

Did not choose. I don't think someone's idea of how the end works out is that important to undermining their faith.

Judgmental Christians (from a holier than thou attitude to criticisms when the perfume is being poured)

[1] This is my first choice as it calls for judgment on others.

Charismania (blaming the Holy Spirit for horrible interpretations, spiritual drunkness, falling over backwards, gibberish, etc)

Did not choose. Although this is a circus, it does not affect the mainstream. This kind usually keep to their own.

Theistic Evolution (Evolution weakens faith, undermines the arguments for God's existence, and is a fundamental tenet of all unbelievers)

[2] This is my second choice. In an information age knowledge is increasing, false knowledge right along with it.  :RpS_thumbup:

A good evaluation.

• Like 1

I checked Theistic Evolution. In ever public grade school and high school text books Evolution is taught as an absolute fact. Yet in most conservative Bible believing churches evolution is taught as against what the Bible says and what is taught in Sunday School and preached. Most children begin to question the authority of Scripture based on what is taught in school that contradicts the Bible.

I have talked with adults that at an early age decided by Jr. High the Bible was false and written by men that only guessed how life came into existence . By the time a person is and adult they have heard evolution is the only way to believe so many times on television and other places, that the mind is closed to the Bible being absolutely true.

The choice I wished was there would have been Christians with bad testimonies. The example being the number of ministers caught in immorality and made a big spectacle on TV and news papers. Along with this neighbors witnessing church going people who live a life of sinful disgrace. 

The world around us Christians might not seem like they are looking at how e live....but they are watching. A little thing I learned many years ago goes like this, "only one life will soon be past, only what is done for Christ will last." I can't get this out of the back of my mind.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

I checked Theistic Evolution. In ever public grade school and high school text books Evolution is taught as an absolute fact. Yet in most conservative Bible believing churches evolution is taught as against what the Bible says and what is taught in Sunday School and preached. Most children begin to question the authority of Scripture based on what is taught in school that contradicts the Bible.

I have talked with adults that at an early age decided by Jr. High the Bible was false and written by men that only guessed how life came into existence . By the time a person is and adult they have heard evolution is the only way to believe so many times on television and other places, that the mind is closed to the Bible being absolutely true.

The choice I wished was there would have been Christians with bad testimonies. The example being the number of ministers caught in immorality and made a big spectacle on TV and news papers. Along with this neighbors witnessing church going people who live a life of sinful disgrace. 

The world around us Christians might not seem like they are looking at how e live....but they are watching. A little thing I learned many years ago goes like this, "only one life will soon be past, only what is done for Christ will last." I can't get this out of the back of my mind.   

Yeah, theistic evolution is a very damaging one.  

Edited by CDF47
  • Like 1